Starbucks CEO Schultz plans to hire 10,000 refugees after Trump ban

webfact

Starbucks CEO Schultz plans to hire 10,000 refugees after Trump ban

REUTERS

r16.jpg

Starbucks Corp Chief Executive Howard Schultz, pictured with images from the company's new "Race Together" project behind him, speaks during the company's annual shareholder's meeting in Seattle, Washington March 18, 2015. REUTERS/David Ryder

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Starbucks Corp <SBUX.O> Chief Executive Officer Howard Schultz said on Sunday that the company planned to hire 10,000 refugees over five years in 75 countries, two days after U.S. President Donald Trump's executive order banning refugees from certain countries.

Trump on Friday put a four-month hold on allowing refugees into the United States and temporarily barred travelers from Syria and six other Muslim-majority countries, saying the moves would help protect Americans from terrorist attacks.

The order sparked widespread international criticism, outrage from civil rights activists and legal challenges.

Starbucks in a letter from Schultz told employees it would do everything possible to support affected workers. (http://bit.ly/2kIFjLE)

The hiring efforts announced on Sunday would start in the United States by initially focusing on individuals who have served with U.S. troops as interpreters and support personnel in the various countries where the military has asked for such support, Schultz said.

Schultz has been outspoken on various issues and has put Starbucks in the national spotlight, asking customers not to bring guns into stores and urging conversations on race relations.

Schultz said on Sunday that if the Affordable Care Act is repealed and employees lose healthcare coverage, they would be able to return to health insurance through Starbucks.

Trump and a Republican-controlled legislature are seeking to undo much of the Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare.

Schultz will step down as CEO in a few months to focus on new high-end coffee shops, handing the top job to Chief Operating Officer Kevin Johnson, a long-time technology executive. He will become executive chairman in April.

Schultz also affirmed the company's commitment to trade with Mexico, another subject that has been front and center of Trump's campaign.

(Reporting by Devika Krishna Kumar in New York; Editing by Lisa Von Ahn)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-01-30

7 minutes ago, rabas said:

10,000 fewer American citizens will have jobs,

How many American citizens work as baristas for Starbucks outside the US?

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

the company planned to hire 10,000 refugees over five years in 75 countries

8 minutes ago, rabas said:

not a good move Starbucks. But hey, Redcup.

If one wanted to be cynical, then judging by the global revulsion this order has generated, probably a very good move from a commercial perspective.

7 minutes ago, USPatriot said:

Starbucks stock has been on the decline so how are they going to hire 10,000 people. Are there 10,000 jobs avaiable now? no!. I guess 10,000 Americans are not important to them.

Did you not read the OP? 10,000 people across 75 countries! It is there, in black and white!!!

Do you think only Americans work in McDonalds around the world?

31 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:
41 minutes ago, rabas said:

10,000 fewer American citizens will have jobs,

How many American citizens work as baristas for Starbucks outside the US?

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

the company planned to hire 10,000 refugees over five years in 75 countries

41 minutes ago, rabas said:

not a good move Starbucks. But hey, Redcup.

If one wanted to be cynical, then judging by the global revulsion this order has generated, probably a very good move from a commercial perspective.

Yes, a rather dumb comment on my part.

If I had had more caffeine (either Starbucks or Redcup) I would have read the whole sentence. And yes, it will be a good business move.

1 hour ago, USPatriot said:

Starbucks stock has been on the decline so how are they going to hire 10,000 people.

In 2012 it was about 24 and now it's about 56. It's declined slightly from it's high in 2016. And you're confusing stock price with profits.

Starbucks Profit Tops Analysts’ Estimates as U.S. Sales Gain

Starbucks Corp. posted earnings that topped analysts’ estimates as new menu items and digital efforts like mobile ordering helped its U.S. business defy a restaurant-industry slowdown.

Profit rose to 56 cents a share, excluding some items, in the most recent quarter. That topped analysts’ average prediction of 55 cents.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-03/starbucks-profit-tops-analysts-estimates-after-u-s-sales-gain

3 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Giving local people's jobs to refugees is a massive moral hazard that will only encourage more opportunistic migration and cultural disintegration.

I'm now boycotting Starbucks.

Guess you didn't read the words from the OP below - do you object, if so why?

The hiring efforts announced on Sunday would start in the United States by initially focusing on individuals who have served with U.S. troops as interpreters and support personnel in the various countries where the military has asked for such support, Schultz said.

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Guess you didn't read the words from the OP below - do you object, if so why?

Because that group is just the start - just the sweetener - and there are only a few dozen of those. It's the rest of the 10,000 that I object to, for the reasons stated.

Just now, ddavidovsky said:

Because that group is just the start - just the sweetener - and there are only a few dozen of those. It's the rest of the 10,000 that I object to, for the reasons stated.

'That group' no doubt contributed to minimising US casualties.

Why should vetted refugees be proactively denied job opportunities worldwide in order that they can move off welfare. Discrimination in job opportunities against refugees has been identified as one of the obstacles for integration.

1 hour ago, simple1 said:

'That group' no doubt contributed to minimising US casualties.

Why should vetted refugees be proactively denied job opportunities worldwide in order that they can move off welfare. Discrimination in job opportunities against refugees has been identified as one of the obstacles for integration.

Because it encourages more of them to turn up and parasitise another economy and culture - whether they are on welfare or not. There are so many of them it is having a deleterious effect on local culture.

The real question is why they don't want to work hard to help their own country, their own people, their own culture? Why not work through the troubled times, helping build institutions and develop social organisation into a better future? You know the answer as as well as I do - not because they are 'persecuted' - it suits them to be persecuted if it gets them a ticket out - but because life is just a whole lot better elsewhere.

They need to be encouraged to stay in their own countries and work hard to develop them - if that costs them some discomfort, then they need to work harder at it - as my ancestors, with their protestant work ethic, worked hard to build up a free and prosperous nation, and had it pretty tough along the way. Foreign aid will be provided to those nations, as it always has been, by the west.

I know what you're going to say: I'm talking about migrants, and these Starbucks people are 'refugees'. This is the problem. Nobody seems capable of understanding the difference.

Edited by ddavidovsky

this is what we need.

let's make Donald a Lame Duck before his First 100 Days is out.

Donald the 4 Year Lame Duck president.

whatever he does, undo it by 10 fold.  I vote next time we get someone who declares an Iran Appreciation Day.  any knucklehead who thinks Iran is a bigger terrorist threat than Saudi Arabia is plain nuts....  what is the purpose of this ban? the same shit Kim Jung Un does when he coddles and feeds fear of the WRONG boogeymen.

same same.

NADA difference.

ZERO.

Edited by maewang99

this is what we need.

let's make Donald a Lame Duck before his First 100 Days is out.

Donald the 4 Year Lame Duck president.

whatever he does, undo it by 10 fold.  I vote next time we get someone who declares an Iran Appreciation Day.  any knucklehead who thinks Iran is a bigger terrorist threat than Saudi Arabia is plain nuts....  what is the purpose of this ban? the same shit Kim Jung Un does when he fear mongers.

same same.

NADA difference.

ZERO.

although nice move from Starbucks still will not be drinking their capitalist coffee resulting in deforestation and slave like workers.

and i am sure Starbucks will pay less for those migrants than normal workers!!!

Edited by Galactus

1 hour ago, ddavidovsky said:

Because it encourages more of them to turn up and parasitise another economy and culture - whether they are on welfare or not. There are so many of them it is having a deleterious effect on local culture.

The real question is why they don't want to work hard to help their own country, their own people, their own culture? Why not work through the troubled times, helping build institutions and develop social organisation into a better future? You know the answer as as well as I do - not because they are 'persecuted' - it suits them to be persecuted if it gets them a ticket out - but because life is just a whole lot better elsewhere.

They need to be encouraged to stay in their own countries and work hard to develop them - if that costs them some discomfort, then they need to work harder at it - as my ancestors, with their protestant work ethic, worked hard to build up a free and prosperous nation, and had it pretty tough along the way. Foreign aid will be provided to those nations, as it always has been, by the west.

I know what you're going to say: I'm talking about migrants, and these Starbucks people are 'refugees'. This is the problem. Nobody seems capable of understanding the difference.

My, my what a deeply embittered person. No, I do not comply with your assumptions regards my beliefs. Yes, I do know the difference between a positively vetted asylum seeker granted refugee status and a migrant, apparently you do not.

No further need to communicate.

Schultz, the traitor who sold the Sonics, deserves an ignominious end. Who he hires is irrelevant. Several times a year I enjoy pissing on the wall of his Madison Park estate. Locally in the Seattle area we call his establishments "Charbucks".

Happy Trails

This was exactly the advice that the USA gave to Jews fleeing Hitler.  And most of them ended up following it, albeit unwillingly.

Schultz gets this better approved beforehand at his next congregation at the East wall of the synagogue he usually frequents, as not all those refugees suit the religious orientation of Starbucks in general and Schultz in particular.

On the other hand, the money to pay extra refugees double the normal salary is there if you see what Starbucks charges for that crap of coffee - good on you and mazeltov! 

What happened to the old mantra of "America! Land of opportunities, come and live the American dream!"  Guess that is selective then.

So Starbucks will be giving hiring preference to foreigners over the natives in those 75 countries they do business in?  So a Royinga refugee gets preferential status over my Thai family members, especially the younger ones who would benefit from such a job?

Ok. Fine.  I'm now officially boycotting Starbucks.  Finito! Done!  I'll be following this up with a letter to the company.

Edited by connda

12 minutes ago, connda said:

So Starbucks will be giving hiring preference to foreigners over the natives in those 75 countries they do business in?  So a Royinga refugee gets preferential status over my Thai family members, especially the younger ones who would benefit from such a job?

Ok. Fine.  I'm now officially boycotting Starbucks.  Finito! Done!  I'll be following this up with a letter to the company.

I suspect they will continue to employ Burmese nationals over Thai workers as they are cheaper and work harder.  That was my experience anyway.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Does Thailand accept muslim refugees and let them in here to work??  Are Thais having problems finding jobs?

I think you misunderstood something ..foreigners can't work at jobs like Starbucks.

8 hours ago, ddavidovsky said:

Giving local people's jobs to refugees is a massive moral hazard that will only encourage more opportunistic migration and cultural disintegration.

I'm now boycotting Starbucks.

:coffee1:well...lets Stupids be Stupid.