Not a protest, just having a laugh - farang tourist stunt causes Phuket airport headache

webfact

Not a protest, just having a laugh - farang tourist stunt causes Phuket airport headache

1p.jpg

Picture: Sanook

PHUKET: -- Pictures of a foreign tourist sitting on a baggage carousel at Phuket airport claimed to show disapproval at the slow service.

The sit down "protest" was seen by thousands online and had reporters scurrying to Phuket to see what all the fuss was about.

But it turned out that it was just a couple of foreign lads "having a laugh".

The pictures were posted after the incident at the domestic carousel on Saturday.

Somsak, an airline representative told sanook.com reporters that there were two foreign tourists waiting for their bags. They had only been there a couple of minutes and the belt was not yet moving, reports Sanook.

He saw them take it in turns to photograph each other sitting on the carousel.

"They were just having a bit of fun," said Somsak, "But I told them not to do it just the same as it is against regulations".

The belt started moving and passengers collected their bags within 7 or 8 minutes, he added, there was no delay or protest.

But the pictures prompted airport director Monrudee Ketphan to defend the airport against charges that people wait too long for their bags.

Her staff told the press that most passengers got their belongings within 10 minutes and only occasionally was there much of a delay.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-01-30

5 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

It is very slow in Phuket compared to other Thai airports, I just assumed the baggage handlers took longer to go through my things :)

Swampy far from spectacular.  Last time I arrived from Phnom Penh it took 50 minutes for the bags to start arriving.  These days the baggage handlers do seem to need more time to steal from your bags.

39 minutes ago, Homburg said:

Swampy far from spectacular.  Last time I arrived from Phnom Penh it took 50 minutes for the bags to start arriving.  These days the baggage handlers do seem to need more time to steal from your bags.

The luggage locks are getting better, so the baggage handlers need to go on a locksmith apprentices course!

2 hours ago, hobobo said:

The luggage locks are getting better, so the baggage handlers need to go on a locksmith apprentices course!

Locks on luggage are a joke. All you have to do is move locks to the bottom and use a pen to open the zipper. Look through the belongings then use the locks at the bottom and zip it back up.

23 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

It is very slow in Phuket compared to other Thai airports, I just assumed the baggage handlers took longer to go through my things :)

You are right on spot. They just want to make sure the things you have can get them a good price. This happen in many airports not only Thailand.