Two civilian 'advisers' joined controversial hawaii trip

snoop1130

Two civilian 'advisers' joined controversial hawaii trip

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

14516523_1224412664283856_43186007284867

An undated file photo of Prawit Wongsuwan and his entourage in Hawaii. Image: Matichon

BANGKOK — Two names stand out from a list made public Monday of who joined a deputy junta leader’s entourage on a taxpayer-funded trip to Hawaii last year.

Nearly four months after Khaosod English requested records of the trip, the Defense Ministry on Monday released a list of who accompanied Gen. Prawit Wongsuwan to Honolulu to attend an informal meeting with U.S. military officials, a trip which sparked controversy when word got out that 20.9 million baht was spent on airfare alone.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/01/31/two-civilians-joined-controversial-hawaii-trip-advisers/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-1-31

That is $627,000 in round numbers. At a business class airfare of $5,000 each, that would be enough for more than 125 people.

Read the full story linked below the photo and OP. It says 40 people went on the flight. Lot of money unaccounted for, like about $400,000.

You can fly from BKK to Cincinnati for $825 one way on Gulf Air. That is reality. $627,000 is a bit excessive even for 40 people.

Now there is anger and computer crimes charges being levied for the whistle-blower that posted the abuse online. There are your Thai priorities.

All this reminds me of what an ex Prime Minister of Australia once said about air travel. He was well know for his audacious comments.

“I travel economy and I am a great man. I could travel economy for the rest of my life and I would still be a great man. But most of the people around this (cabinet) table are pissants and they could travel first class for the rest of their life and they would still be pissants.”

Asked what qualified the two, who appear to be a CP employee and flight attendant trainee to join the trip as advisers to Gen. Prawit’s team, the Defense Ministry’s spokeswoman had no answer.

I have an answer: the trainee is also an expert in Hula dance who was brought along for private lessons. The guy was there to say "khap!" where appropriate.

57 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

All this reminds me of what an ex Prime Minister of Australia once said about air travel. He was well know for his audacious comments.

“I travel economy and I am a great man. I could travel economy for the rest of my life and I would still be a great man. But most of the people around this (cabinet) table are pissants and they could travel first class for the rest of their life and they would still be pissants.”

Sweet!

He was PM for how long though ...?

28 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

I have an answer: the trainee is also an expert in Hula dance who was brought along for private lessons. The guy was there to say "khap!" where appropriate.

I find it somehow scary when self-appointed ruler of a country need the expertise of flight attendant trainees, and CP workers to meet with foreign military. Would be interesting to learn how many motorbike taxi jockeys and and fuel pump assistants they have in their advisory board .  

1 hour ago, Brer Fox said:

He was a legend, but got stabbed hard by his fellow polies.

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

"Thai Airways asked police to track down and prosecute those responsible for posting it."

Thai Airways aka State-owned enterprise aka junta.

Seeks to supress transparency of expenditure of taxpayer funds.

Wait till the pass the new media control act. This stuff will not even hit the presses. 

3 hours ago, nontabury said:

So one of these additional so called advisors is a good looking young lady. Now I just wonder what was the real reason for her inclusion.

Hookers in Hawaii are a tad more expensive (allegedly!)

"The two names included in the seat listing that were not found in the official documents released Monday: a TV news anchor linked to Prawit and top CP executive Pakhapon Ngamlak."

It seems they have substituted the two names above from the original list disclosed previously, by other names that were less compromising (google on the name of the TV news anchor if you don't see what I mean). They probably thought "there was the names of a pretty girl and a guy from CP, let's put the names of another pretty girl and another guy from CP, and nobody will notice!"

:smile: