Hamburger Buns

JimGant

5 hours ago, JaySonic said:

Sweet baby Buddha, what is that... that... THING !? 

And an egg on your hamburger? Come on, man. Next you'll add a pineapple ring and a slice of pickled beetroot. 

Then it would almost be a Kiwi burger.

Checked and have all ingredients to hand in freezer, fridge and pantry, except the ?.

Don't particularly like burgers with a Tropical twist anyway.

Bon appetite.

On 2/1/2017 at 7:16 PM, ubonjoe said:

The sell them in Makro and Tesco here.

Farmhouse bread/bakery makes them.

Sorry Joe... but those are horrible, tasteless stuff... like eating bread of sawdust mixed with ground paper...

I'm in BKK not in CM, but I've yet to find a proper hamburger bun available for retail purchase that makes the burger better instead of making it worse.

The ones from Carl's Jr. in BKK aren't bad by comparison, but I've never found the equivalent available for retail sale here.

Probably the best store bought I've ever found are a variety sold in some of the Villa markets in BKK -- larger size buns in two-packs, just in a plain clear plastic package, no brand label or anything, as best as I recall. They're not bad, not not always in stock and sometimes hard to find.

PS -- Really guys, a thread asking for advice about decent hamburger buns shouldn't be requiring moderator's deletions for troll posts. It talking about hamburger buns, for god's sake!!!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

12 hours ago, GiantBlob said:

Correct.

In fact, it is not even food.

Looks more like a dissected part from a cancer patient with Parkinson's disease.

I suggest you chuck in the nearest garbage bin, take an emetic for even looking at it,

And stop uploading images of animal meat.

That's about the least classy answer I've ever read to any post on any subject anywhere!

2 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

That's about the least classy answer I've ever read to any post on any subject anywhere!

Then you would rate it as outstanding?

I'm not a vegetarian, and do enjoy meat dishes, just not huge spheres of meat piled in mounds up to the sky.

Any Thai meat dishes are fine with me, and I eat nothing else.

Haven't had a burgher in over 15 years, nor a pizza.

No flavor in the hamburger and too much dairy glop in the pizza.

If one travels to Italy, then eating pizza makes sense because Italy offers many pizza recipes with and without meat.

1 minute ago, GiantBlob said:

Then you would rate it as outstanding?

I'm not a vegetarian, and do enjoy meat dishes, just not huge spheres of meat piled in mounds up to the sky.

Any Thai meat dishes are fine with me, and I eat nothing else.

Haven't had a burgher in over 15 years, nor a pizza.

No flavor in the hamburger and too much dairy glop in the pizza.

If one travels to Italy, then eating pizza makes sense because Italy offers many pizza recipes with and without meat.

No, I think the description you used is in such poor taste as to make the entire post devoid of any literary usefulness.

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

And the reason you are posting in a hamburger thread is .............................................

I was thinking about having a burgher.

The last one I had, I made from a piece of ground beef, rather expensive, but the butcher did not grind it for burgher use and the grounds were too large.  The finer the grind, up to a point, the better, I find.

So I was just wondering what beef or pork is typically used in Thailand.

Also, judging from the photo, there seems to exist the propensity to make the spheres of beef overly large, which detracts from the overall flavor and experience, I would think.

I have not seen a shop selling any burgers that look good enough to eat, at least not recently.

8 minutes ago, GiantBlob said:

The last one I had, I made from a piece of ground beef, rather expensive, but the butcher did not grind it for burgher use and the grounds were too large.  The finer the grind, up to a point, the better, I find.

As this thread is about the bun might I suggest you start a new thread about the meat patty for burgher (what ever the <deleted> that is) instead of polluting this one with your obnoxious dribble.

43 minutes ago, GiantBlob said:

Also, judging from the photo, there seems to exist the propensity to make the spheres of beef overly large, which detracts from the overall flavor and experience, I would think.

I have not seen a shop selling any burgers that look good enough to eat, at least not recently.

So you are ending your 15 year burger fast?

You must have forgotten your feelings that you expressed here, only a few hours ago.

I just don't know why anyone would touch a hamburger, or a bun, while living in Thailand, unless they were not yet properly localized.

And a sphere of meat would more normally called a meatball. They make a good sandwich too, but we don't call it a hamburger.

On 2/3/2017 at 6:56 PM, Don Mega said:

As this thread is about the bun might I suggest you start a new thread about the meat patty for burgher (what ever the <deleted> that is) instead of polluting this one with your obnoxious dribble.

It's hard to get local bakery's to make whole grain buns, they want large orders to do that. Most burgers have sugary bread which stuffs it up.

On 2/2/2017 at 9:17 AM, terminatorchiangmai said:

Rimping , Tesco , Makro all have them , but very sweat unless you toast all the sugar out if it. 

The best ones you can get at the UN pub , crust loaf bakery.

I second this.  This is where the Classic Burger guy (guys?) get their buns I was once told.  I did not know that

the crusty loaf bakery sell them to the consumer market also however, as I can't remember ever seeing them in the UN Pub store, but if they do, that's great.  

Surprised it has not already been mentioned here, but I think The Dukes will sell you their buns (which are excellent as are their burgers).  You just have to go to one of their restaurants and order them one day in advance.  At least this was the case a few years ago, as I was told by one of the staff after I saw somebody come in and pick-up some buns.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my take on home made hamburgers... I opt for a Parisian sandwich baguette from Rimping along with 100 baht of ground beef from the meat counter... I quarter the baguette and butter itcan sprinkle a little garlic salt on them and grill them with the meat which has been covered with freshly ground pepper corns... serve open faced with a baked potato slathered with butter... ;-)

4C684A7F-7A90-4EE3-A5DC-AE81EA14CE66L0001--3799CBB9-8F77-408C-925A-F450C08CD0B8.JPG.jpg

77ADF67F-62D7-410F-9B2B-2484848C5E2FL0001--B08F6306-F035-4B14-AC3D-2C05F50080FF.JPG.jpg

D145D2AC-7A58-4F52-8C93-7A11B5D46F91L0001--DBDA7BFA-1912-4323-9FFB-44F6611CD529.JPG.jpg

0BC221CE-45F3-42D0-8DF3-6C15BAEBD520L0001--9F1DA11C-5625-4012-90F0-51B60431C23A.JPG.jpg

Edited by sfokevin

2 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Here is my take on home made hamburgers... I opt for a Parisian sandwich baguette from Rimping along with 100 baht of ground beef from the meat counter... I quarter the baguette and butter itcan sprinkle a little garlic salt on them and grill them with the meat which has been covered with freshly ground pepper corns... serve open faced with a baked potato slathered with butter... ;-)

4C684A7F-7A90-4EE3-A5DC-AE81EA14CE66L0001--3799CBB9-8F77-408C-925A-F450C08CD0B8.JPG.jpg

77ADF67F-62D7-410F-9B2B-2484848C5E2FL0001--B08F6306-F035-4B14-AC3D-2C05F50080FF.JPG.jpg

D145D2AC-7A58-4F52-8C93-7A11B5D46F91L0001--DBDA7BFA-1912-4323-9FFB-44F6611CD529.JPG.jpg

0BC221CE-45F3-42D0-8DF3-6C15BAEBD520L0001--9F1DA11C-5625-4012-90F0-51B60431C23A.JPG.jpg

Looks great. 

Will you marry me? Or at the very least teach my significant other how to cook this. She has been known to burn water, and the daily papaya salad made available will never be a suitable substitute for your creation.

And a cleansing coke chaser with ice tops it off perfectly.

The bun is a device to enable you to eat meat and condiments without getting your hands (too) messy.

Piling the meat and condiments higher than your mouth is when open is no longer a hamburger. The buns become bread condiments, and the eating becomes a sloppy Joe sort of affair. 

Ground beef, as we would call it, on anything other than a hamburger bun becomes a hamburger sandwich. 

Coke is a well-known poison, so best to avoid it.  Wash down the mega-burger with iced tea.

And for those wanting bagels...i have found some good ones baked by small home shop here

18.829615, 99.038943

Oops.  Well those are the map coords but the shop name is 'B2oven' very near hiway 121 and hiway 1367.  South of that corner about 300meters on 1367. It's a coffee shop and bakery selling to nearby Rimpings, and over the counter. 

On 3/3/2017 at 6:38 PM, jobin said:

Coke is a well-known poison, so best to avoid it.  Wash down the mega-burger with iced tea.

And for those wanting bagels...i have found some good ones baked by small home shop here

18.829615, 99.038943

Really?  I truly think that real beverage to be washing down a burger would be a dark microbrew.......  and for that pic of the burgers, I would have allowed the cheese to melt some....