Can life be enjoyable without spirit drinks! ?

redwinecheese

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes of course life can still be enjoyable but not as much in my opinion.

I'm strictly an evening drinker, the day is for activity, work or whatever tickles your fancy, but once darkness falls and dinner arrives it's time to relax with one's loved ones and a couple of pints of crappy lager beer or a few glasses of something stronger which add that certain edge or mellowness to the atmosphere.

A social lubricant or a stimulus to the creative juices,  if used and not abused, alcohol is truly a wonderful thing.

Can life be enjoyed without any habit you have picked up along the way?

Of course it can; that is the question you should be asking.

'Course it takes a bit of will power if your life revolves around bars and other entertainment areas, but can be done. I've been dry now for the last 18 years and it never stops me having a laugh or prevents me visiting anywhere I want.....................;)

Sure life can be fun without alcohol but like everything, it's fun to do in moderation. I find I enjoy a nice drink while BBQing.  Its relaxing and fun. 

I guess this could be really asked about anything so it depends on the person. Can life be fun without me 4wheelin in my truck?  No....unless of course I can go dirt bike riding. 555

8 hours ago, Squeegee said:

Can life be enjoyed without chocolate, games consoles or picking your nose?

Not if you are addicted to chocolate, games consoles or picking your nose, until you've beaten your addiction.

I'm marginally concerned that boogers have been put in the same category as Chateau Neuf Du Pape '63, I mean, there's addictions and then there's addictions. :post-4641-1156694572:

8 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

I think it could easily be asked if life can be fun with alcohol.... how many people have "hit bottom" - alienated family and friends, lost everything they had and some their lives, because alcohol became an addiction? 

Of course there are extremes to anything when something takes over. Have known folk that are addicted to fizzy drinks and paid the price of looking like a sack of spuds...

1 hour ago, transam said:

Of course there are extremes to anything when something takes over. Have known folk that are addicted to fizzy drinks and paid the price of looking like a sack of spuds...

That is true - and nobody wants to look like a sack of spuds, as you call them, but then, I think the overeaters of the world are rarely out at 3 am getting thrown out of a bar for misbehaving and end up trying to break a bottle over someone's head after someone else took exception to their slobbering drunk behavior. They don't end up in the news sitting at the police station bleeding from the forehead and not even remembering how they got there... 

Just my observations... 

47 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

That is true - and nobody wants to look like a sack of spuds, as you call them, but then, I think the overeaters of the world are rarely out at 3 am getting thrown out of a bar for misbehaving and end up trying to break a bottle over someone's head after someone else took exception to their slobbering drunk behavior. They don't end up in the news sitting at the police station bleeding from the forehead and not even remembering how they got there... 

Just my observations... 

True, Over-eaters usually fall into a food coma. Never met a belligerent over eater but then again, I never tried to take their food either..:smile:

So many variables.....I get mellow, some get angry, aggressive, silly, funny, loud, quiet, sloppy, x-rated, etc.....

Also depends on tolerance & current events/state of mind....

I prefer not to drink & still feel that I enjoy the art of living every available moment with nothing to prove to anybody....

But, there are times when I'll have/mix a drink.....There's alcohol problems in the family tree so I limit myself to one bottle a month....Whether shared with guests all at once or left by itself for a month or more, once one bottle is gone that's it for the month....I don't get hangovers no matter how much, which probably comes through the family too.....

Beer tasted horrid the first time I tasted it - and still does do this day.....

4 hours ago, opalred said:

i am waiting to see if next life can do without

i have told wife  to fill my box on sendoff 

to fill with bottles of leo

One of the fellas in the village passed away - well, we reckoned there was no way that he could last eternity in the afterlife so to try and keep him buried, so to speak, we stuffed the coffin with Leo.

As the wake was drawing to a close, we left, passing close to the cemetery.  There was an eerie scraping, sound and the earth erupted.

"For the love of God, will ye not stay buried? What do you want from us?"

"Bottle-opener"

If one does not have an Alcohol problem it's use can be a nice way of helping one to relax. If on the other hand one does have a problem....it's use can be a living hell on earth. 

I stopped drinking 16 years ago and the result has been a life beyond my wildest dreams.

If I were to die tonight I will die in the certain knowledge that I was the most blessed man on the face of this earth to have been given a second chance at achieving a level of joy and happiness that I could never have imagined.

of course it can. listen to the buddha. he says to stay away from intoxicants.  booze is a dead end road. just like weed is. the revolving door of I'm happy when I'm high sad when I'm not . is never ending. it TAKEES A WHILE THOUGH WHEN ONE IS SOBER TO SEE THE BENEFITS.  LIKE POSSIBLY OVER A YEAR. ARE U WILL ING TO GO A YEAR OF DETOX. FOR LONG TERM HAPPINESS.  UP TO YOU . OR JUST KEEP SUCKING THE BOTTLE!

4 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Yes it can be more enjoyable with a sweet right hand next to me.

Yeah, I think if you cannot enjoy life if you are deprived of one thing; then you are too dependent upon that one thing.

32 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Yes it can be more enjoyable with a sweet right hand next to me.

Yo Charlie from another planet - - what are you doing with that right hand? 

ps - w/all that money you save monthly, you can make a nice donation to your lovely wife's family - right? 

Archived