Phuket bars, nightclubs plea for special Patong party zone

webfact

Phuket bars, nightclubs plea for special Patong party zone

Suthicha Sirirat

1485954686_1-org.jpg

Preechawude ‘Prab’ Keesin, head of the Pisona Group of companies in Patong, said it was no secret that some venues bribed officials to stay open later. Photo: Suticha Sirirat

PHUKET: -- A consortium of more than 20 owners of Patong bars, nightclubs and other entertainment businesses today (Feb 1) tiled a petition for a special zone to be set up, allowing the venues to close later than the current legally mandated times.

The petition filed today followed a blitz on Patong bars and clubs on Monday night that forced tourist-popular bars and nightclubs on Bangla Rd to close at the mandated times of 1am for venues inside Patong’s “entertainment zone” and midnight for venues outside the zone.

The blitz was carried out in line with a direct order by Phuket Governor Chockchai Dejamornthan. 

Phuket Vice Governor Teera Anantaseriwidhya received the petition on behalf of Governor Chockchai, and confirmed it would be forwarded to its intended recipient, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha.

Among those present at Phuket Provincial Hall today were Patong Entertainment Business Association President Weerawit Krueasombat and Patong scion Preechawude “Prab” Keesin, head of the Psiona Group of companies.

Mr Weerawit pointed out that the current closing times were set up under the “Better Social Order” campaign under the Thaksin administration.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-bars-nightclubs-plea-for-special-patong-party-zone-60870.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-02

Not a big night-owl anymore these days, been there & dunn that extensively, but still i've to admit 0100 in a touristic place like Phuket is a bad joke!

Yes sir, still that way because of the gravy-train it is for the po-lice and others, most likely ... 

"Scion' that's an interesting word to describe him! I love it when the police close things down early and they immediately run off crying to the Gov and PM. I notice Kamala was shut down nearly on time last night as well.

The whole thing about staying open late is a vicious circle and raises its head every year. If people went out earlier they would have no qualms about a 1 am finish.

The problem is that Patong starts late. I knew freelancers that didn't even go out until 1 am. We saw it to a limited extent when the curfews were in place and people were going out earlier. There was some whinging at first but as the tourists turned over those newly arriving weren't aware that the earlier closing was even occurring- they just went out earlier on. Its easy to adapt.

When I lived in Patong I wouldn't venture out before about 2230 on a normal Saturday night as things were only just starting. One thing I do like about Pattaya (and there's not many!) is that I CAN go out and finish early.

The whole 'but I'm on holiday' thing doesn't hold water either. Most people come from countries with licencing laws that shut places down at a reasonable time- why not here.

Edit: Nice to know there is a Gov in charge of Vice- at least they are honest about that bit!  :partytime2:

Edited by Psimbo

2 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Got a friend who's there at the moment. Didn't know before, and said the bars were closing early. He won't be going back or recommending Patong to anyone. To be fair, I told him not to go for other reasons. 

Many cities have stopped or drastically cut back the later night events. Gosh that used to be one of the funnest things about going to Thailand.  Wake up at 4 AM and take a late night stroll down to walking street.  Didn't need all the bars open but just a few of the outdoor bars was a blast!.  Warm weather, etc. 

33 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

"Scion' that's an interesting word to describe him! I love it when the police close things down early and they immediately run off crying to the Gov and PM. I notice Kamala was shut down nearly on time last night as well.

The whole thing about staying open late is a vicious circle and raises its head every year. If people went out earlier they would have no qualms about a 1 am finish.

The problem is that Patong starts late. I knew freelancers that didn't even go out until 1 am. We saw it to a limited extent when the curfews were in place and people were going out earlier. There was some whinging at first but as the tourists turned over those newly arriving weren't aware that the earlier closing was even occurring- they just went out earlier on. Its easy to adapt.

When I lived in Patong I wouldn't venture out before about 2230 on a normal Saturday night as things were only just starting. One thing I do like about Pattaya (and there's not many!) is that I CAN go out and finish early.

The whole 'but I'm on holiday' thing doesn't hold water either. Most people come from countries with licencing laws that shut places down at a reasonable time- why not here.

Edit: Nice to know there is a Gov in charge of Vice- at least they are honest about that bit!  :partytime2:

1 AM Is early to close anywhere gramps!  Even for a sixty year old. 

38 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

"Scion' that's an interesting word to describe him!

<snip>

<snip>

I think most of the bar owners agree that getting people to start their evening earlier would be a great help. A couple of large venues with live bands have had their bands start playing at 8 or 8:80 in hopes of attracting an earlier crowd, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm not sure what else they could do, short of extreme happy hour pricing (which really wouldn't help their cash flow anyway). While the large venues might be able to eek out a profit on a 3 hour window of active business, I don't think many of the smaller bars will survive. 

4 hours ago, Deli said:

I think this one is one of the biggest tea money payers on the island... as his father was the receiver

Just wait a bit, and Prab the entertainment venue owner will be paying to Prab the mayor, just as his dad used to do.

I presume he just took one of the previous petitions from his computer and changed the date.

In the present climate I think the result will be the same: a quick denial, and then slowly slowly they will close later and later, and in some time there will be another raid, after which the whole process repeats itself. Even if he were elected mayor it would not change very much, except that it would be cheaper for the family.

Edited by stevenl

21 hours ago, DrDave said:

I think most of the bar owners agree that getting people to start their evening earlier would be a great help. A couple of large venues with live bands have had their bands start playing at 8 or 8:80 in hopes of attracting an earlier crowd, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm not sure what else they could do, short of extreme happy hour pricing (which really wouldn't help their cash flow anyway). While the large venues might be able to eek out a profit on a 3 hour window of active business, I don't think many of the smaller bars will survive. 

Pretty sure there was mention of not being allowed to do happy hour prices.

hahahah "no secret that some venues bribed officials to stay open later".  Some??? try ALL venues.  Has been like that for more than a decade.  They want early closures and want their tea money as well.  I wonder what would happen if everyone said that is fine, close at 1am but we won't be paying the police anymore?  Nothing, because people won't stand together and say it, cause everyone is scared.  Nobody has the balls especially the Thai owners.

2 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

hahahah "no secret that some venues bribed officials to stay open later".  Some??? try ALL venues.  Has been like that for more than a decade.  They want early closures and want their tea money as well.  I wonder what would happen if everyone said that is fine, close at 1am but we won't be paying the police anymore?  Nothing, because people won't stand together and say it, cause everyone is scared.  Nobody has the balls especially the Thai owners.

Easy solution.............special entertainment zone with bars/nightclubs allowed to stay open until 5 am (example) then no bar owners have to pay Tea money!!!

Simple really as will please bar owners, nightclub owners and the tourist party animals.........oh wait a minute the monthly collections and brown envelopes will stop so a few people will be out of pocket!