Beggar at temple fair found with 100,000 baht cash on him

webfact

Beggar at temple fair found with 100,000 baht cash on him

By Coconuts Bangkok 

01_739.jpg

PHUKET: -- Phuket police were in shock yesterday when they searched an elderly beggar they arrested at a temple fair and found that the old man had THB100,000 cash in possession.

Police seized the 67-year-old disabled beggar from Wat Chaiyathararam after they received reports that several beggars disturbed tourists at the fair.

However, when police arrived, the vagrants scattered, and they could only seize this man, whose name was not mentioned.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/02/02/beggar-temple-fair-found-100000-baht-cash-him

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-02-02

Homeless Phuket man found with B100,000 in cash given temporary shelter, bank account

Eakkapop Thongtub

1486009197_1-org.jpg

Police question 67-year-old homeless man Mr Hokjai Saeong. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: A homeless and disabled Phuket resident, who was first believed to have been begging at Wat Chalong Fair, was taken to a temporary shelter and also to open a bank account by Phuket Police yesterday when he was found to be keeping B100,000 in cash earned from selling old and disused items

At 6:15pm yesterday, Lt Col Suchart Singha of the Chalong Police was informed that a group of beggars were operating at Wat Chalong Fair.

At 7pm, after learning about the allegations, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Teeraphol Thipjaroen together with Col Chukiet Imjaitham and Lt Col Parinya Tanthasuwan of the Chalong Police, Mr Natthatwat Khwanpan from the Phuket Provincial Social Development and Security Office and Mr Suphawatthagun Khunnaluck of Chalong Municipality went to the area to carry out an inspection to see if they could find the beggars.

Soon after they found a man with a disability to his left leg, who they assumed was part of the team, and took him to quiet area to question and search him.

During the search officials found that the man, named as Mr Hokjai Saeong, 67, from Phuket, had a bag containing coins and B20 notes totalling approximately B1,000 in his possession.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/homeless-phuket-man-found-with-b100-000-in-cash-given-temporary-shelter-bank-account-60874.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-02

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I will not be surprised if he has in a nice home and has a nice car parked

in the driveway, beggars now days are mostly belong to an organized group

and  not in needs as they make themselves out to be....

Agreed, he's likely the head of an organised group, I used to see them driving around at the end of the night in Pattaya picking up the beggars from their allocated areas.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

The second part of the story reads that he isn't a beggar after all

2 hours ago, webfact said:

During the search officials found that the man, named as Mr Hokjai Saeong, 67, from Phuket, had a bag containing coins and B20 notes totalling approximately B1,000 in his possession.

Was it 1,000 baht or 100,000 baht?

If it was only coins and B20 notes then it would have been a sizable wad if it was 100,000 baht.

Not easy to tell from the photo.

27 minutes ago, Encid said:

Was it 1,000 baht or 100,000 baht?

If it was only coins and B20 notes then it would have been a sizable wad if it was 100,000 baht.

Not easy to tell from the photo.

Just read the article from the Phuket News, where it is clearly mentioned how much and where it was hidden.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Just read the article from the Phuket News, where it is clearly mentioned how much and where it was hidden.

Wow!

Thanks for that... I did not read the entire article from the source news bulletin.

On 2017/2/1 at 9:10 PM, ezzra said:

You are right, when I found out I even stop looking at them let alone giving them anything.

With few exceptions I leave the beggars to be provided for by the locals, after all it is their society, and I take into account the reports that many are syndicated.

I do hope this man is helped, as it seems he is being, as he must have some mental problems, no matter how good he is at his "job".

And I do the same with all the charities that camp out in the doorway of our local MaxValue every day. I'd soon be on the street myself if I handed over wads of cash to every last one.