gold snatches saving farangs from buying gold for loved ones

jippytum

A few years ago Thai women displayed gold with pride as a status symbol .Nowadays the only people to wear gold are uninformed tourists who are quickly robbed even in daylight.,

Does the fact people do not feel safe wearing gold jewellery have a negative sales impact on the many gold shops and perhaps  save foreign men the expenses of buying gold for their Thai partners ?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

And sell it when they run out of money.

gold as  gift to someone , is a gift , not something you can sell when you have know idea on how to  manage your money .

Thai people see gold as investment ,even though you have given it to the as a gift so of course when their other investments/ventures aren't  so well they cash the gold in and they don't even tell the husband /boyfriend that they have done it.

5 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

Thai people see gold as investment ,even though you have given it to the as a gift so of course when their other investments/ventures aren't  so well they cash the gold in and they don't even tell the husband /boyfriend that they have done it.

I know all about that s??? .

I am not going to get on to thai  bashing ok .

it is a joke the way they sell it with no respect to the person who gives them that gift.

all I can  disrespectful .

8 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

it is a joke the way they sell it with no respect to the person who gives them that gift.

I didn't mean to insult you at all ,as I also know what it is like to be in this position but as I said there is nothing you can do you just have to accept that they see the gift you give them as cash as one day they will sell it.

There are two categories - if she decides to pawn it - its a shit test and she'll give you ticket to go get it out of hock and she had to do it because of a water buffalo tragedy or such.  OR - she'll sell it outright and either not tell you or pretend it was stolen so she can try to get you to buy her another one for her birthday... all Thai women have at least 5 birthdays per month so the wait will not be long!

I don't think it matters about foreigners or not. A close Thai friend of the wife and mine mother just died. Being pretty well off she left behind a fair bit of gold (as many Thai do see it as an investment). The son, being very close, cannot bring himself to sell it. His sister sold it the very next day. Moral of the story, if your wife is not much chop morally, then don't buy gold (as doesn't matter if you're Thai or foreign, immoral acts will win out). If selling for a practical reason then it is a completely different story. 

8 minutes ago, paul18620 said:

I didn't mean to insult you at all ,as I also know what it is like to be in this position but as I said there is nothing you can do you just have to accept that they see the gift you give them as cash as one day they will sell it.

No , no you are not insulting me at all , you have it all wrong , I understand you but it gives me the s???s on how they see it , makes you think  twice about doing it again with your new thai lady like me , she now has to  suffer and wait and see if she is  trustworthy of me buying her some gold as a gift.

i have never had a problem buying my partners gold as a gift be it for a thai lady or a western woman, but because of the way thai woman see I am not sure I want to do it again with the new lady .

hop you understand me not have a go at you sorry if you are thinking like that.

15 minutes ago, remorhaz said:

There are two categories - if she decides to pawn it - its a shit test and she'll give you ticket to go get it out of hock and she had to do it because of a water buffalo tragedy or such.  OR - she'll sell it outright and either not tell you or pretend it was stolen so she can try to get you to buy her another one for her birthday... all Thai women have at least 5 birthdays per month so the wait will not be long!

Cynic of the week goes to.........

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

gold as  gift to someone , is a gift , not something you can sell when you have know idea on how to  manage your money .

A gift is actually something you have given away. A person receiving a gift has every right to do with it as he or she sees fit.

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

You're in their  world now george.

Edited by Enoon

1 minute ago, georgemandm said:

You very wrong in your summary a gift of gold is a gift of  love and when that person be it thai or western sell it is a  disrespectful pig to the person who gives it .

A gift of gold is a gift of valuables. A gift of love would be understanding and respecting her decision to sell it.

19 minutes ago, Sirbergan said:

A gift is actually something you have given away. A person receiving a gift has every right to do with it as he or she sees fit.

No a gift of gold is a gift of love and the person who sells it is  disrespectful . 

So you think it is all right for people to sell those gifts of love do you .

not all but lots of thai woman are just  greedy people who think of it as money and not love .

4 minutes ago, Sirbergan said:

A gift of gold is a gift of valuables. A gift of love would be understanding and respecting her decision to sell it.

You think your way I will I will think my way so leave it at that .

i will never understand your way of thinking.

that is way I f??? Her off . 

22 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

No a gift of gold is a gift of love and the person who sells it is  disrespectful . 

So you think it is all right for people to sell those gifts of love do you .

not all but lots of thai woman are just  greedy people who think of it as money and not love .

In my opinion, the gift of valuables can be a token of your love. It does, however, have no real sentimental value. If the person really needs to sell it, for whatever reason, accepting and understanding that choice would be another token of love. Feeling hurt by that is, in most cases, egocentric, especially if the person doesn't know how you would feel about it.

Now, it would be a lot different had it been a gift of high sentimental value, like for instance a scrapbook with pictures of all your happy times together over the years that she threw or gave away (after taking out the pictures), a necklace that has been passed on for generations in your family, or any other very thoughtful gift. Gold is not such a gift, in my opinion. High monetary value, low sentimental value.

That being said, people feel differently and you have every right to find it disrespectful – which it would be, if (and only if) she knew you would take offense by it before she sold it.

Edited by Sirbergan
Grammar

12 minutes ago, Sirbergan said:

In my opinion, the gift of valuables can be a token of your love. It does, however, have no real sentimental value. If the person really needs to sell it, for whatever reason, accepting and understanding that choice would be another token of love. Feeling hurt by that is, in most cases, egocentric, especially if the person doesn't know how you would feel about it.

Now, it would be a lot different had it been a gift of high sentimental value, like for instance a scrapbook with pictures of all your happy times together over the years that she threw or gave away (after taking out the pictures), a necklace that has been passed on for generations in your family, or any other very thoughtful gift. Gold is not such a gift, in my opinion. High monetary value, low sentimental value.

That being said, people feel differently and you have every right to find it disrespectful – which it would be, if (and only if) she knew you would take offense by it before she sold it.

Ok I agree with you 

and yes she did know because I told her so , but like some Thais lies ever time they talk .

but that is life and you lean by that .

my new will get gold yes for sure but I have to be 200% sure she will respect it .

i know not all Thais are not the same buts lots are .

the new one is a top lady and I am very lucky to have her .

but I do tell it the way I have seen it in thailand and the  stories I have been told by people I believe, not just off the Internet.

A few years ago Thai women displayed gold with pride as a status symbol .Nowadays the only people to wear gold are uninformed tourists who are quickly robbed even in daylight.,
Does the fact people do not feel safe wearing gold jewellery have a negative sales impact on the many gold shops and perhaps  save foreign men the expenses of buying gold for their Thai partners ?

Your 'facts' people don't feel safe and you only see tourists with gold are imo not correct.

sent using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Sirbergan said:

Oh so in your world you buy a girl let's say a silver ring with a emerald or ruby on it ( that she saw with you a few weeks earlier in a store window and liked it ) and you bought it for her and she wore it every time she was with you over the next four weeks then she stopped wearing it and you asked where is the ring?  Then she tells you " I sold it" you would just continue eating your noodles??  

You seem to be very easy going. 

2 hours ago, georgemandm said:

In our eyes yes disrespectful here is a different culture. When you give as gift it becomes that persons property to do with as they wish. You can attach all the disrespect you want to. Water off of a ducks back. 

Just now, georgemandm said:

Why not? If you give me a book as a gift, do you then have a right to be angry if I give it to somebody else? If you give me a fruitcake as a holiday gift, do you have a right to be angry if I "re-gift" it? If you give a Thai girl a gold necklace you need to make it clear that you are only giving it to her temporarily, not as a gift, and that you expect her to give it back whenever you demand it, otherwise you have no right to complain if she sells it when she needs money and you're too cheap to give it to her. Where I came from, giving someone a gift means that it becomes theirs, not yours.

16 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Oh so in your world you buy a girl let's say a silver ring with a emerald or ruby on it ( that she saw with you a few weeks earlier in a store window and liked it ) and you bought it for her and she wore it every time she was with you over the next four weeks then she stopped wearing it and you asked where is the ring?  Then she tells you " I sold it" you would just continue eating your noodles??  

You seem to be very easy going. 

Yes, in most cases I do think people spend too much time considering how other people's actions affects them, instead of judging the actions based on the actual intent behind them.

Life is too short to stick to your guns and way of thinking, before even trying to understand the other party/person .

2 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

To you water off a ducks back 

but to  me disrespectful .

gold is to say I love you , not to say sell it when you feel like it .

this thai bs gold is a investment , gives me the s???s .

sometimes this culture bs gives me the s???s as welll , so in muslim culture to  circumcise women by cutting of their  clitoris is that ok .

so stop giving me this culture bs .

I love you send me some gold. Please my clitoris alone. Get that monkey off your back and release it to the wild. 

Edited by elgordo38

Just now, georgemandm said:

sometimes this culture bs gives me the s???s as welll , so in muslim culture to  circumcise women by cutting of their  clitoris is that ok .

If I understand you correctly, you seem to be saying gold has some kind of mystic significance, not like other materials. To me that's like saying gold is money, or gold has an intrinsic value, not a price. I don't understand this attitude.

6 minutes ago, Acharn said:

Why not? If you give me a book as a gift, do you then have a right to be angry if I give it to somebody else? If you give me a fruitcake as a holiday gift, do you have a right to be angry if I "re-gift" it? If you give a Thai girl a gold necklace you need to make it clear that you are only giving it to her temporarily, not as a gift, and that you expect her to give it back whenever you demand it, otherwise you have no right to complain if she sells it when she needs money and you're too cheap to give it to her. Where I came from, giving someone a gift means that it becomes theirs, not yours.

Watch this guy Acharn he is like a dog with a bone and will not let go. I asked him for a gold gift give it a shot. Could end up being a moon shot for us both. 

Edited by elgordo38

5 minutes ago, Sirbergan said:

Yes, in most cases I do think people spend too much time considering how other people's actions affects them, instead of judging the actions based on the actual intent behind them.

Life is too short to stick to your guns and way of thinking, before even trying to understand the other party/person .

Would you buy me a nice watch and I won't even sell it. Ever!! Lol!!

Thanks! 

7 minutes ago, georgemandm said:

Apples and oranges, don't even go there.