New visa rules hit tourism in Songkhla

New visa rules hit tourism in Songkhla

By SOMCHAI SAMART
THE NATION

3c41eb71505df967ee88aa53e01b90b1.jpeg

A NEW VISA requirement affecting visitors from Singapore, Indonesia and Brunei has dealt a blow to tourism in the bustling border town of Songkhla.

Visitors from the three Asean countries, and 46 other nations, now need to apply for a tourist visa if they make more than two trips to Thailand via land transport. However, tourists who arrive by air or boat can still enjoy the visa-free trips for up to 30 days at a time.

“This is a worrying inconvenience,” Songkhla Tourism Industry Council chairman Surapol Kampalanonwat said yesterday.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30305641

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-04

The land crossing limitation rules should be impacting the Laos and Thai and Cambodia and Thai land border crossing areas also.  I am sure there are many people and tourists and expats that go back and forth a lot, at least used to.  Total numbers and dollar amounts I don't know 

• Like 1

Maybe it is to control terrorists a little. I know when I did my one and only visa run many years a go by train, when I allighted on the Malasian side there was no return train coming soon so I crossed the bridge back into Thailand which locals used and had to take a taxi to Immigration to make my entry official.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

12 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

Mainly hit Malay tourists as loads use the land crossing.

Malaysians are exempt from the 2 entry rule.

Also Laotians, Cambodians and others that get their entries from a bilateral agreement. 

• Like 1

More & more I get the idea ultimately all these "crackdowns" on entries into Thailand will kill off a lot of tourists entering and will minimise the income from tourists.

Officially it is all about illegally working in Thailand by foreigners, but I really doubt if that problem is so big.

I think it is a huge overkill.

But, no problem, tourist numbers are on the rise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

Maybe it is to control terrorists a little. I know when I did my one and only visa run many years a go by train, when I allighted on the Malasian side there was no return train coming soon so I crossed the bridge back into Thailand which locals used and had to take a taxi to Immigration to make my entry official.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Can't terrorists go 1 klm up the road and cross there.What makes you think a true terrorist would let a simple border crossing stop him,where they would have a record of him crossing.

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The land crossing limitation rules should be impacting the Laos and Thai and Cambodia and Thai land border crossing areas also.  I am sure there are many people and tourists and expats that go back and forth a lot, at least used to.  Total numbers and dollar amounts I don't know 

Many of my mates living in Laos are concerned about this.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, hansnl said:

More & more I get the idea ultimately all these "crackdowns" on entries into Thailand will kill off a lot of tourists entering and will minimise the income from tourists.

Officially it is all about illegally working in Thailand by foreigners, but I really doubt if that problem is so big.

I think it is a huge overkill.

But, no problem, tourist numbers are on the rise.

I would think most genuine tourists from Brunei, Indonesia and Singapore would fly into Thailand.

I suspect the people from these 3 countries doing frequent land crossings are just doing visa runs, for purposes known only to them.

2 hours ago, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Yep the Bar girls around Sadoa will be broke

moreover, beer consumption and appetite for any sort of pork servings will go down the drain once the muslims dont come anymore

On 04/02/2017 at 11:50 AM, trogers said:

I would think most genuine tourists from Brunei, Indonesia and Singapore would fly into Thailand.

I suspect the people from these 3 countries doing frequent land crossings are just doing visa runs, for purposes known only to them.

why people are so limited in their thinking.

These nationals (most likely living in Malaysia)like and enjoy  the easy going lifestyle on the Thai side of the border,

but they can come only twice a year.

1 hour ago, visarunner said:

These nationals (most likely living in Malaysia)like and enjoy  the easy going lifestyle on the Thai side of the border,

I know of very few foreigners holding long-term Malaysian visa residing in Penang or other northern malay states.

Most would be residing in KL, and they would fly to Haadyai if so desire...

2 hours ago, visarunner said:

Santa only gets to come once a year.

:sorry: