Video of farang waiter working at Bangkok restaurant goes viral

webfact

15 hours ago, Thian said:

I've watched the streets of Chinatown for many weeks....you rarely see a farang there mate.

And the ones you do see are watching their cellphones for google maps but even that doesn't work properly cause you can't download a free map of Bangkok....You can download loads of offline maps but not in Thailand.

BKK needs many more farang waiters, the dumb waiters is the reason i won't eat in many restaurants without a Thai friend.

I was at a restaurant last night which caters 100% to foreigners.  The waitress couldn't understand our order and we had to point to get things correct.  English language skills here are terrible.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Farangs when in thailand , need not have to afraid of the the thais. It will be their fellow farangs who screw them first or report them if they make the slightest mistake as most of these farangs residing here are pathetic bitter people who did not make it anyway in life and their last resort is to survive in thailand and feel bitter at their fellow farangs who do slightly better in life. Really this is all I can say after seeing the postings of some of the TV members. If only all the farangs could unite, maybe they can achieve better things here including thai government rulings or procedures concerning foreigners. Thai Visa is an good example of an initiative to help farangs and other foreigners with the right information etc. Unfortunately, we have many of these bitter farangs as members too.

I'm from Pacific NW, and there are huge numbers of Thai restaurants up to the gills with Thai staff. We might even cock an eyebrow if farang waitperson was serving. One I went to with folks from Chiang Mai running (or so they said.....), got some take away and asked for nam pla..... puzzled response.... "you know, fish sauce..."  guess they'd never been asked for it...

Hmm I've never had language problems in China town. Guess I go to the wrong parts (love that guitar street!).

It is a bit unbalanced that many Thai want to go to USA to earn lots of money (or so they think) to send home, but if farang wants to earn money so his relatives can send him money to Thailand (so he can have his own room), that is so unusual and jumped on by those with power.

Maybe this is first wave of Trumpism, leveling playing field. "More foreign waiters overseas. It will be amazing. Nobody can wait better than Americans...."

22 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I was at a restaurant last night which caters 100% to foreigners.  The waitress couldn't understand our order and we had to point to get things correct.  English language skills here are terrible.

There is no restaurant in Chinatown which caters 100% to foreigners.

And if you mean the american fastfood ones overthere they are the worst i've ever seen...they are superslow and a shame for the company they work for. It's FAST-food but not in those places.

I agree it's (a little) better in the skytrainarea but in the subs it's really depressing to go to a restaurant. And i didn't even mention all the crying babies/kids they bring in a restaurant.

Last week i was in a group of 20 Thai in a nice restaurant, we ordered a load of dishes but some came more than 1.5 hour later to our table. The guys who ordered those had already left because the police had alcoholtests in their neighbourhood.

So my wife sent the dishes back and told the waitress the guys had already left...which was fine with them.

When the bill came the dishes were of course on the bill so they had to change that...

This is not just a small restaurant, it's a very big one with live music and loads of very nice educated girls....On the walls were all kinds of english texts but the waiters couldn't speak it of course.

The problem is that there is NO good one to be found, if so we would go there all the time for companydinners...the boss is paying and we can order most expensive dishes nonstop so even price is no problem at all...

Are you sure she was working.

It is very rare to see them work.

Might have been Cambodian.

She may have had personal connections to the owners of the restaurant, but she was definitely Thai. I had been told that in advance
by a friend who is a regular there. My wife, who was with me and is also Thai chatted with her briefly.

17 hours ago, Thian said:

In Chinatown nobody speaks english so it's no fun for tourists to go there.

Maybe this guy can attract a lot of customers. I will go there if i know where he works..

Really? That's what is fun about it for me. I choose to spend my time in Thailand because it isn't the west. If I wanted English all the time I could move back home.  Take the time to learn Thai and you'll get so much more out of this place, including even warmer treatment from Thais. 

2 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

This was a fairly nice, and very popular, restaurant in Bang Saray.

In Pattaya there are many restaurants who have good waiters and perfect food. They are owned by farang though. It's the only reason i like to go to Pattaya.

But even there things go wrong, was in a famous fishrestaurant on the beach in a group of Thai and we ordered a load of seafood. I ordered a deepfried seabass which came 1 hour after the rest...no fun. The waiters can't help that but the chefs/mangager can.

Just now, chivo said:

Really? That's what is fun about it for me. I choose to spend my time in Thailand because it isn't the west. If I wanted English all the time I could move back home.  Take the time to learn Thai and you'll get so much more out of this place, including even warmer treatment from Thais. 

I do speak Thai but when i use it they still don't understand me cause they speak lao or have some other way of pronouncing it. 

100= nung roi...but in BKK they say loi nung...how should i know that? And so on....

17 hours ago, Pib said:

It will take a while to roundup the 50 cops as most are at traffic checkpoints around the country collecting donations.   Plus they will want to ensure all the media is available for this high profile, dangerous arrest.

It's no good looking for police in a certain Pattaya police station - they're all on dinner breaks (especially at night.)

16 hours ago, Thian said:

I've watched the streets of Chinatown for many weeks....you rarely see a farang there mate.

And the ones you do see are watching their cellphones for google maps but even that doesn't work properly cause you can't download a free map of Bangkok....You can download loads of offline maps but not in Thailand.

BKK needs many more farang waiters, the dumb waiters is the reason i won't eat in many restaurants without a Thai friend.

What do you mean "dumb",can't they speak.Or maybe your the dumb one,unable to speak the most basic of Thai,food and numbers.

17 hours ago, Thian said:

In Chinatown nobody speaks english so it's no fun for tourists to go there.

Maybe this guy can attract a lot of customers. I will go there if i know where he works..

I lived in Chinatown for a long time, it is quite big, some areas rarely see a tourist, others such as Kampeng Lane are packed with tourists, independents and those on guided tours, and they appear happy, at least they are happy to part with their money, it is a shopping highlight for many tourists.  Then there is the Golden Buddha, the largest in the world, that attracts a lot of tourists, and of course the night market which is also full of tourists eating out, seemingly happy with their "dumb waiter" to imagine that one farang serving in a restaurant is going to change something in Chinatown is seriously deluded, and the assumption that he is not dumb due to his race is shameful.

I recommend you check MAPS.ME app. I has very good offline Thailand (and other countries) maps. I use it each time I travel.

Even when my wife orders the food more than half of the times something goes wrong with our order. Even when i ask something in Thai (like for a knife or so) they reply to my wife and i'm invisible for them. They also don't know the difference between a butterknife or a steakknife.  They like to stand in the way, make a lot of noise with collecting plates/dishes, can't speak english of course, put my food at the other end of the table, don't make sure i have all condiments like pepper/salt/sauces..and so on...That's what i call dumb waiters, totally untrained and have never been to a real restaurant themselves.

I think you should take the hint,they don't like you.I never have these problems.

Even when my wife orders the food more than half of the times something goes wrong with our order. Even when i ask something in Thai (like for a knife or so) they reply to my wife and i'm invisible for them. They also don't know the difference between a butterknife or a steakknife.  They like to stand in the way, make a lot of noise with collecting plates/dishes, can't speak english of course, put my food at the other end of the table, don't make sure i have all condiments like pepper/salt/sauces..and so on...That's what i call dumb waiters, totally untrained and have never been to a real restaurant themselves.

16 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

I'm not sure you know quite what a 'dumb waiter' is

Clue - it isn't an unintelligent or someone who can't speak person working in a restaurant ...

can't speak english of course

your English isn't great if you don't know what a dumb waiter is...

14 hours ago, Thian said:

And after that you walked to your motorbike to find some pimples on the rearmirror right?

I also see the staff in clothingshops use the huge mirrors to squeeze pimples...hilarious, thailand only!

I always yell HEY BOSS when i see a Thai in my homecountry, you need tuktuk?? Where you go? 

And pizzaaaaa supaaaadaluk.....or hambagaaa, or pips and chip, or woowee blead, or klap sanwit....or kapuchinoooooo, or flied lice, flench fly wit katsup, wurlwyweee, fayboo, lept and light and so on.....

Most funny is the word five or fiftyfifth....or tire or tile....or oil, or rabbaatleeeeee (rubbertree)..or buttaaaa (butter).

Bugger me,now i understand why Thai's don't understand you.

16 hours ago, lopas said:

This guy worked on street in 2012 with his wife.....How  does he do to work on the street and now serve clients in a restaurant.

See video

dude only have 1 shirt ?

39 minutes ago, Thian said:

In Pattaya there are many restaurants who have good waiters and perfect food. They are owned by farang though. It's the only reason i like to go to Pattaya.

But even there things go wrong, was in a famous fishrestaurant on the beach in a group of Thai and we ordered a load of seafood. I ordered a deepfried seabass which came 1 hour after the rest...no fun. The waiters can't help that but the chefs/mangager can.

Slightly off topic, but serving food in the correct order is a common issue in Thai restaurants.

Orders are being prepared and first cooked is first served. 

Pretty usual that dessert comes first and soup last and yes....a deep fried seabrass will arrive after you're about to 'check bill'. 

And this can happen in upscale Thai resaurants as well.....once I ordered springrolls as an appetizer (I found them in the appetizer section of the menu).....guess what?

Edited by joepattaya1961

I would work at a restaurant, or a 7-11, or a Tesco  or Big-C, ... just for the 'Social-Exposure."  I'm retired so I don't NEED the money but it would be nice to be able to develop some friendships with some co-workers and customers.  However, about the only job approved for farangs is English Teacher and that really sucks! ;)

47 minutes ago, Thian said:

I do speak Thai but when i use it they still don't understand me cause they speak lao or have some other way of pronouncing it. 

100= nung roi...but in BKK they say loi nung...how should i know that? And so on....

Where do you eat,in Laotown.Even Laotians understand Thai having grown up on a diet of Thai soaps.Plenty of farangs,including myself speak Thai and have no problem conversing and understanding Thais in Bangkok and all of Thailand.

I am surprised someone doesn't film the Filipino waiters and waitresses at Sunrise Tacos and El Gauchos. No way they can have WPs to work as serving staff, as working in retail is prohibited for foreigners under the Royal Decree on alien occupations, and they must make up over 90% of the staff anyway, not 4 Thais to 1 foreign worker. They can't speak a word of Thai either. At least this guy makes an effort to speak Thai and Lao.