Officer denied free pumpkins from truck, takes 100 baht cash instead

snoop1130

Officer denied free pumpkins from truck, takes 100 baht cash instead

By Coconuts Bangkok

screen_shot_2017-02-07_at_6.12.57_pm.png

A video taken from the front passenger seat shows a police officer asking a driver if he could have some of the pumpkins the truck was carrying.

Thai traffic police are notorious for setting up checkpoints in order to collect small bribes from drivers, and this officer casually showed us how common it really is.

Popular Facebook video-sharing page YouLike posted a clip from user Muzeed Pop. In it, as a truck carrying pumpkins passes a police checkpoint, the officer is heard proclaiming gleefully “Oh my, here comes something tasty!”

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/02/07/officer-denied-free-pumpkins-truck-took-100-baht-cash-instead-video

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-2-7

5 minutes ago, trigpoint said:

This is the wild west you know, and only the baddies are allowed to carry guns.

Don't you mean "The Wild East"? After all, in the Wild West, the good guys and the bad guys all had guns and the Indians.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

I can't  understand why Thailand let their police dress like gangsters...a mouthmask plus sunglasses, no namebadge to be seen and even demanding bribes from innocent truckdrivers.

What a shame.

yes it should be stamped out - soon - maybe - possibly - we're working on (I think) - :cheesy::cheesy:

15 minutes ago, Artisi said:

yes it should be stamped out - soon - maybe - possibly - we're working on (I think) - :cheesy::cheesy:

About a year ago the General made a crackdown about policecorruption. Anyone who paid them bribemoney would get punished hard but also the policemen demanding a bribe would get severe punisment.

Let's wait for the reaction of mr Prayuth on this.

Nothing beat the experience of having a submachinegun poking in through your driver's window,

and you having to break open your crate, to hand him one of your prized bottles of Mekhong...

... happened down near Sadao - laarng laarng time ago - but still quite vivid

Thai traffic police are notorious for setting up checkpoints in order to collect small bribes from drivers ....

True.
Even if everything is ok.
Car technically correct, all papers correct, driver's license ok, seat belt strapped, no traffic rules injured etc.

Nevertheless you have to pay.
As a lump sum is collected from everyone as a "transit tax."
And this is not legal, so it is robbery.

4 hours ago, djayz said:

How much longer will people put up with this? 

It makes a mockery of the waffle talk that PM Prayuth goes on about stamping out corruption.Obvious that the RTP has no respect for him or the people.

We all need to be aware that the Thai Police are grossly underpaid and need juice to survive!  I hear his all the time as an excuse for robbery!  During my only experience with this, I remember the policeman pulling a huge wad of cash out of his pocket to give me change for my fine!

Alas, some things are just too difficult to change.  Short of firing the entire Police force and starting over, there is no real solution.

Don't get mad, it is just my opinion!!:smile: 

14 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Defamtion - saying or writing bad things about a person or group which are not true.

That's not the definition of defamation in Thai law.

Here, defamation is an act by one person which causes damage to another person's reputation.

What is said can be the truth and still be defamation.

15 hours ago, Thian said:

About a year ago the General made a crackdown about policecorruption. Anyone who paid them bribemoney would get punished hard but also the policemen demanding a bribe would get severe punisment.

Let's wait for the reaction of mr Prayuth on this.

How long do you have?

Only 100 THB ???

For being a farang I always have to pay 200 THB, while doing nothing wrong but just for being a farang in Thailand. Last time the $#!thole gave me a fine for not having the right pressure in the tires of my bike. They were just checked 10 minutes earlier at the bikeshop around my corner. You not come to Thailand, you not pay..  

And my bike is well maintained as I used to have a bike sales, rental and maintenance company limited in Bangkok. Yes, the one just around my corner where I also park my bike.

Edited by FredNL

Find the person who released the video and sue for defamation! How very dare they. 

Defamtion - saying or writing bad things about a person or group which are not true. 

Amazing that you can still sue if it's true. 

That is actually incorrect in Thai law. Defamation is when an action , written (Liable)or verbal (Slander) makes an other person's character look bad, even if it is TRUE or FALSE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Brer Fox said:

It makes a mockery of the waffle talk that PM Prayuth goes on about stamping out corruption.Obvious that the RTP has no respect for him or the people.

They have great respect for him and the people; that's where they learned every dirty trick in the book.   In a morally bangkrupt country what do you expect ?

Just now, trainman34014 said:

They have great respect for him and the people; that's where they learned every dirty trick in the book.   In a morally bangkrupt country what do you expect ?

Agreed. But I have no expectations of anything in Thailand. Everyone including me has to take it as it comes and whatever the junta dictates. No one seems to be able to do anything about anything including cops wearing highway bandit face masks.

27 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

That is actually incorrect in Thai law. Defamation is when an action , written (Liable)or verbal (Slander) makes an other person's character look bad, even if it is TRUE or FALSE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I know. hence my sue even if it's not true part.