Russian Tourist dies after being hit by a Ducati Super bike on Pattaya second road

webfact

Russian Dead and another foreigner Injured

By Danny Boy -

po1.jpg

Russian Tourist dies after being hit by a Ducati Super bike

PATTAYA: -- At around 3:30am on February 8th, Pattaya police and Emergency services were called to the scene of a fatal Russian casualty on Pattaya second road.

The incident itself took place outside the Caesars Palace Hotel, close to Soi 8. A Russian tourist, Mr. Vadim Volkov, aged 25 years old, was pronounced dead at the scene, whilst another tourist, who is yet to be identified, suffered some serious injuries and is now being treated in a local hospital.

An eye witness to the accident told police that he was taking to a group of 3 Russian tourists, which included Mr. Volkov, about how they night was. Mr Volkov suddenly decided to cross the road, but unfortunately didn’t look and was hit by a speeding red Ducati, driven by a foreign tourist.

Mr.Volkov catapulted through the air before being hit by a baht bus, also travelling at high speed. The Ducati slammed into another parked vehicle and the driver was left lying in the middle of the road.

Emergency services were called immediately but by the time they arrived onto the scene, Mr. Kolov had sadly passed away. The other foreigner involved was still alive and after being treated at the scene by paramedics, he was rushed to the local hospital for more treatment.

Police have yet to question the driver of the Ducati, as he is still in a critical state, and so will wait until he makes a full recovery before making a full investigation.

Source: http://pattayaone.news/en/russian-dead-injured/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2017-02-08

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, trogers said:

Russians from villages are not used to busy roads...

Do they drive on the same side of the road as here?  I know when I first came, it took me some time to get use to this...always looking the wrong way!

RIP to this poor chap. 

1 minute ago, craigt3365 said:

Do they drive on the same side of the road as here?  I know when I first came, it took me some time to get use to this...always looking the wrong way!

RIP to this poor chap. 

Me too. And now, when I'm back in Europe, the first few days I'm, confused to where to look.

1 minute ago, alocacoc said:

Me too. And now, when I'm back in Europe, the first few days I'm, confused to where to look.

In the UK when I was a kid they used to have regular road safety slots on TV. 

The emphasis was on look twice and in both directions, it worked, I still do it now.

It's is crazy riding fast downtown, I have done over 15k km on my current scooter and it's +75% downtown.

Depending of traffic density I typically goes app 40-60km/h and yet I sometimes had to brake very hard to avoid hitting some tourist just walking out in front of me.

Yes possibly something to do with left/right side driving confusing people and then at 03:30am on top.

RIP to the young Russian.

10 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

RIP to this poor chap. 

Aren't both sides of Soi8 one way anyway which would make it arbitrary?

In civilized countries there are speed limits which are enforced. Many a***ole bikers in Pattaya seem to think they can ride as fast as they like and its upto pedestrians to jump out of the way. These lazy, arrogant p****s should try walking or using a baht bus. Too many bikes in Pattaya already - tourists and expats should not be allowed to hire or buy motorcyles.

46 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

RIP to this poor chap. 

No, but 2nd Rd is one way anyhow.

They drive on any side of the road here....

1 hour ago, webfact said:

A Russian tourist, Mr. Vadim Volkov, aged 25 years old, was pronounced dead at the scene

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Emergency services were called immediately but by the time they arrived onto the scene, Mr. Kolov had sadly passed away.

Maybe a bit of a Freudian slip by Pattaya One News.

(Isn't Mr Colov the owner of a rival newspaper?)

As I stated before, traffic safety needs to be addressed and improved here, in a dramatic and drastic manner. This will not happen. And the question is why it will not happen. And the answer is complete and total apathy on the part of the government, and the police. Nobody cares. Sure, they jabber alot after some horrific accidents. But, will they do anything? Do they ever do anything? No. They are not serious about this problem, at all. More jawboning, from the master himself. If he was serious about protecting his people, he would have done it from day one. The RTP are not interested in traffic safety, and the government has no interest in public safety. And the carnage continues, and Thailand continues it's place as number two in the world (after war torn Libya) for road deaths per capita. At least they are number two in something! There are a hundred things that could be done to protect the people, and prevent more accidents. Start with law enforcement, and the enforcing of laws that are already on the books. Serious fines for speeding, impounding of vehicles, with serious fines for drunk driving, long prison terms for manslaughter, caused by drivers who carelessly mow people down, regardless of how influential or connected, or wealthy they are. Incease the penalties severely for fleeing the scene of an accident. I do not think there is currently any penalty for that. And how about a really novel idea? Have the highway police actually patrol the highway, instead of playing cards in the office. The only time I ever see them is after an accident. There is a concept known as a deterrent, which is virtually unknown in this country.

You make obnoxious behavior, dangerous behavior, drunk driving, and careless driving on the highways punishable, and people will think twice about doing it. Every single time I am on the highways I see people doing things they would never even consider doing in California, as the consequences are simply too high. Here they know they can get away with almost anything.

They know Little P. and the highway police are not serious people. And he and his people bear total, and absolute responsibility for the continued carnage. It rests squarely on his very small shoulders. Nothing is being done, despite the constant rhetoric. 

51 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

RIP to this poor chap. 

That's the problem - they look the wrong way. I frequently have to slow down for pedestrians looking the wrong way, and sometimes motorcyclists riding on the wrong side.

In the UK when I was a kid they used to have regular road safety slots on TV. 
The emphasis was on look twice and in both directions, it worked, I still do it now.

Yes the "green cross man" who was also Darth Vader in the original movies (they didn't use his voice)

In Thailand you need to look up,down,back,front as well as left and right and its still dodgy.

49 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

It's is crazy riding fast downtown, I have done over 15k km on my current scooter and it's +75% downtown.

Depending of traffic density I typically goes app 40-60km/h and yet I sometimes had to brake very hard to avoid hitting some tourist just walking out in front of me.

Yes possibly something to do with left/right side driving confusing people and then at 03:30am on top.

RIP to the young Russian.

40 - 60 km/h is too fast to ride/drive safely on 2nd Road. You know it's a busy tourist zone and pedestrians can cross at any time. It should be treated like a school zone with a limit of 25 km/h. 

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

RIP to this poor chap. 

That is a possibility and an easy mistake to make. I am from US and drive in both countries twice a year and catch myself cussing at people when I'm the one who should be getting cussed at!

R.I.P to the victim ,2nd road is one way but he probably looked the wrong way due to them driving on the right Russia
its a very dangerous road and probably the only thing that would slow the speeders are speed bumps ,which I hate and come with another set of problems as they found out along Jomtien beach road with motorcycles being "launched" into orbit by the poorly designed,marked and sighn posted bumps, a couple of fatalities there.

10 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

I have given up driving anything here...in Thailand...

and when crossing the road, so so aware of what's flying towards me in any direction....

Yeah me to. When I use the crosswalk they have the nerve to blow their horn. 

you only have to listen in the small hours of the morning and you can hear the high reving vehicles both cars and MB on the city streets of Pattaya, idiots racing around on high power machines/vehicles likely with drink on board, it is of little wonder that these things happen, even during the day everyone seems to be in some sort of hurry to get somewhere fast, there should be a general city wide speed limit of 25kmh with calming on all major roads, people will soon get used to the fact

1 hour ago, 4737 Carlin said:

In civilized countries there are speed limits which are enforced. Many a***ole bikers in Pattaya seem to think they can ride as fast as they like and its upto pedestrians to jump out of the way. These lazy, arrogant p****s should try walking or using a baht bus. Too many bikes in Pattaya already - tourists and expats should not be allowed to hire or buy motorcyles.

Enjoy that rant?

tourists and expats should not be allowed to hire or buy motorcyles

What a load of nonsense - most bike riders are Thai for a start :wacko:

1 hour ago, 4737 Carlin said:

Too many tourists and expats don't have a motorcycle license, that is a big problem.

I have ridden bikes all my life and the amount of idiots I see on the road regularly amazes me.

I wouldn't trust them with a push bike with kiddie wheels!

10 minutes ago, smedly said:

you only have to listen in the small hours of the morning and you can hear the high reving vehicles both cars and MB on the city streets of Pattaya, idiots racing around on high power machines/vehicles likely with drink on board, it is of little wonder that these things happen, even during the day everyone seems to be in some sort of hurry to get somewhere fast, there should be a general city wide speed limit of 25kmh with calming on all major roads, people will soon get used to the fact

there should be a general city wide speed limit of 25kmh with calming on all major roads

Even in the nanny state of the UK it is not that bad - have you ever tried to drive at 25? Also as everybody repeats ad nauseum  whats the point if not enforced.......

1 minute ago, nakhonandy said:

Too many tourists and expats don't have a motorcycle license, that is a big problem.

Probably that's true. I could be easy to solve this problem. Inform the rental company not to rent out vehicles without a proper driving license. Fine them if they don't obey. Is a driver involved in an accident, raise the fine. But all this requires law enforcement.

2 hours ago, trogers said:

Russians from villages are not used to busy roads...

14 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Did you get that from "Count Arthur Strong"?

No, I got this frim the eyewitness's account:

Mr Volkov suddenly decided to cross the road, but unfortunately didn’t look and was hit by a speeding red Ducati, driven by a foreign tourist.

City folks would have developed looking at both sides of a road before crossing as 2nd nature.