Open bank account for 8 year old

Is it possible to open a bank account for an 8 year old boy?

He is not my son or anything, the Thai family are very good friends of mine.

I would prefer to keep mom out of it, if possible, just in case she wants to access it before he becomes 18.

It is just a savings account to which I will put monthly money for education or whatever his future brings.

Not sure about the minimum age, 8yo might be a tad too young, but you certainly can open a bank account for a minor in Thailand. However, you do need approval of the legal tutor and his/her being physically present. Both names are put on the bank booklet as per my experience (Kasikorn Bank).

We tried to open an account in our daughter's name at SCB, and they told us it needed to be in the name of an adult. She is only a few months old so not sure what the minimum age would be for a minor's account.

There had found info for a kids saving account on the SCB website, but when we went, they told us the service was no longer available.

Yes, it's possible, but the account shall carry two names, the other being the guardian that has full access to the account only, but after the minor is 20 years old both names can withdraw. There's is no lower age limit to my knowledge, as I opened several accounts for my baby daughter, but it's a few years ago. In my case the mum is guardian, and the child's Birth Certificate was needed. I will presume some kind of proof as guardian shall be needed to open an account, but why not ask in a bank; or a couple, as the may have slightly different rules. Perhaps you can just open an account with two names...:smile: