webfact

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From an earlier Coconuts' story:
"...Sanit, who also sits on the National Legislative Assembly, has been accused of breaching ethics due to the conflict of being a lawmaker and enforcer while taking a handout from a big booze company while he may be involved in crafting laws that govern the alcohol business..."
http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/26/police-chiefs-advisory-cash-booze-company-deemed-totally-legit

13 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Consultant .... for what exactly, what's his specialty? He's been a copper all his life, and now he's a business consultant? This is hilarious. 

Maybe he drink a lot. Might make him an expert in the field.

8 hours ago, wealthychef said:

As I understand it, the problem is that civil police in Thailand are paid only 6000 baht per month for their job, and this necessitates they make their money from "side services" and bribes etc.  The bribes are considered a payment for their service by the Thais, really.  Like tips.  This corruption then extends up the chain.  It will be very difficult or impossible for this to change without a popular uprising against it, which I am most notably NOT advocating here.  That would likely be very very illegal.  

Well, the coups were all clearly illegal so an uprising couldn't be legally any worse. This thread is yet more clear evidence that the coup (just like the previous 20ish) changed absolutely nothing so why not try something new?

3 hours ago, katana said:

From an earlier Coconuts' story:
"...Sanit, who also sits on the National Legislative Assembly, has been accused of breaching ethics due to the conflict of being a lawmaker and enforcer while taking a handout from a big booze company while he may be involved in crafting laws that govern the alcohol business..."
http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2017/01/26/police-chiefs-advisory-cash-booze-company-deemed-totally-legit

I would like to know how many NLA members are paid by the alcohol business duopoly.....

Edited by candide

37 minutes ago, Becker said:

Well, the coups were all clearly illegal so an uprising couldn't be legally any worse. This thread is yet more clear evidence that the coup (just like the previous 20ish) changed absolutely nothing so why not try something new?

Because advocating that citizens rise up against their government is not a smart thing to do when you are a guest in their country.  

Imagine, just imagine: some paper publishes a part telling about you, yes you, getting 50,000 a month from a big drug dealer (though a so-called 'soft' one, alcohol is a drug too...). An attentive BiB reads it, and you're, mid-Jan., summoned to the police station on Feb. 2 (what's already not realistic), but you don't go. Guess what'd happen on the same or next day? With an arrest warrant swung in front of your nose by a magistrate surrounded by an armed platoon of itchy BiBs, could you send them away, telling you need another month to explain about your 'consulting job' at the origin of the pay-outs? Could you? Guess what would happen...

Thailand is no 'republic', but as for the 'banana', oh yes, it's there, big time, Law-and-Order, To-serve-and-protect, blah-blah-blah, there are the ones the Law is imposed to (the poor and un-protected masses), and then there are the ones who are above the Law! Too many, so many... T.i.T., and my guess is it won't change before Bangkokians ice-skate on the frozen Chao-Praya!

6 minutes ago, mok199 said:

it's getting harder and harder to live around thais...

It's getting harder and harder for the general Thai population too, but as it seems many generations long battering has reduced their courage to the size of the backbone of a marsh-mallow, don't expect them to come up for their rights and those of their children...

9 hours ago, darksidedog said:

He probably needs half of that time to think of good excuses why the 50K went to him and wasn't spread around to his fellow criminals. I mean Colleagues.

If this payment was in anyway above board, you would expect him to be indignant about being questioned, and provide details immediately.

I doubt that any member reading this article was surprised about anything other than that he had been caught.

It's not something even a highly-protected RTP Lt.Gen. can pull off with without having, at the least, informed some even higher brass about it, for cover in the case of some mis-hap, what seems to be working well considering the position the RTP chose for, and the deafening silence from the guy who put him there, but admittedly that one already has a whole family to keep out of the wind...

4 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Because advocating that citizens rise up against their government is not a smart thing to do when you are a guest in their country.  

You're absolutely right. Not smart for visitors nor Thais. Let me clarify that I was not advocating anything in my post - just making observations.

8 hours ago, bangrak said:

It's getting harder and harder for the general Thai population too, but as it seems many generations long battering has reduced their courage to the size of the backbone of a marsh-mallow, don't expect them to come up for their rights and those of their children...

It's easy for you to belittle them like this for having no backbone, but let's see how brave you are, go marching down Sukhumvit with a sign and inspire them!  

4 hours ago, Becker said:

You're absolutely right. Not smart for visitors nor Thais. Let me clarify that I was not advocating anything in my post - just making observations.

I wonder how long it will be before Trump starts using these tactics to chill free speech in America...   (Mods:  I realize this is off topic all of a sudden, and strangely there seems to be no way to delete it.)

Edited by wealthychef

On 10-2-2017 at 6:14 AM, wealthychef said:

It's easy for you to belittle them like this for having no backbone, but let's see how brave you are, go marching down Sukhumvit with a sign and inspire them!  

'wealthychef': I was 'belittling' nobody, when you are living in Thailand for 'some time' and have the better kind of contact with 'real Thais', you should know about their relation (or the lack of it) with leaders and politics, and how tame, lame, paralysed they are about coming up for their rights and against the abuses they are the victims of, and that since many generations, do you deny that, or ...?

Even when I would be Thai, and motivated(see above), I guess I would try to find some more 'productive' way to protest, as, referring here to the short-lived 'white movement', I both don't have the young age anymore, ...nor the help/protection of 'the-man-in-the-desert''s organisation...

2 hours ago, bangrak said:

'wealthychef': I was 'belittling' nobody, when you are living in Thailand for 'some time' and have the better kind of contact with 'real Thais', you should know about their relation (or the lack of it) with leaders and politics, and how tame, lame, paralysed they are about coming up for their rights and against the abuses they are the victims of, and that since many generations, do you deny that, or ...?

Even when I would be Thai, and motivated(see above), I guess I would try to find some more 'productive' way to protest, as, referring here to the short-lived 'white movement', I both don't have the young age anymore, ...nor the help/protection of 'the-man-in-the-desert''s organisation...

I wouldn't deny that they do not speak up "for their rights" (as you see them coming from your viewpoint) but I would not call them "tame, lame, paralyzed" for it, which is what I meant by "belittling."  So I get your point but am reacting to the language you are using which is definitely putting them down.  

On 2/9/2017 at 10:40 AM, Oxx said:

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that tetsakij are not policemen, but employees of the BMA (Bangkok Metropolitan Authority).  This man's title appears to be "Police Lieutenant General" making him a policeman.

No, I'm not sure. I'm basing my guess on the title Metropolitan Police, as differentiated from Royal Thai Police, a national organization. I might be mistaken, but I think the Tetsakij use the same rank titles as the national police. They are policemen in the sense that they have authority to enforce metropolitan ordinances, such as the size of sidewalk booths. You're right, they are employed by the BMA, not the RTP.

• 2 weeks later...

I see from the "other English language newspaper" today that it was all a misunderstanding. His staff made an error with his asset declaration. He was never retained by Thai Beverage after all

. They've agreed that is the case. He was very busy, which is why it took so long to clear the matter up.

Nice that it is all sorted now...