Phuket Governor to appeal for Bangla bars and clubs to close at 4am

rooster59

Phuket Governor to appeal for Bangla bars and clubs to close at 4am 

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1486713085_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: The crackdown on bars and clubs along Bangla Rd in Patong was eased this week with provincial officials revealing they will formally request that the government issue special dispensation to allow entertainment venues on Phuket’s prime tourist party street to stay open until 4am.

The crackdown began last Monday (Jan 30), with all bars along Bangla Rd forced to close at midnight and nightclubs to kick patrons out into the street at 1am.

The reaction by the Patong Entertainment Business Association (PEBA) was swift, with PEBA President Weerawit Krueasombut and Patong scion Preechawude “Prab” Keesin, head of the Pisona Group of companies, along with 20 other night venue operators two days later filing a formal petition addressed to Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha calling for extended trading hours in the entertainment district. (See stories here and here.)

“We have prepared a formal request to be sent to the Permanent Secretary of the Interior Ministry asking for consideration to allow entertainment businesses along Bangla Rd only to stay open – and sell alcohol – until 4am,” Phuket Provincial Chief Administrative Officer (Palad) Thawornwat Khongkaew, told The Phuket News on Wednesday (Feb 8).

The request is for Bangla Rd only, Mr Thawornwat confirmed.

“This because Bangla Rd is a very special tourist area,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-governor-to-appeal-for-bangla-bars-and-clubs-to-close-at-4am-60984.php#ArIJuUt1zmxXWgVh.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-11

13 minutes ago, Deli said:

Hope they enclosed an envelope big enough

Nevertheless, 1 o'clock is a joke for a party spot which in the end created revenue and jobs for many who need it

Yeah chiang mai is so sad right now.. Completely dead after midnight :(

Just because you old fellas wanna be tucked up in bed with your teddy by midnight does not mean that we all have too.

Any international entertainment venue needs at least 2 am licensed trading which the police should be happy about as they get their bit along with knowing where people are

The only reason they want this applied to Bangladesh Road 'only' wouldn't be because that is where this mafia have all their businesses would it by any chance?

And why relax before there is a change in the law? Perhaps it shows what a lawless mafia controlled corrupt place phuket really is. So the police ignore the law and the governor supports it. So much for rule of law.

22 minutes ago, Deez said:

Why doesn't the Change Mai governor "appeal" for Chiang Mais bars and restaurants to stay open past 12AM?  Closing bars and clubs at 12AM is stupid. 

Only stupid for alcoholics who need a drink after that. Why not let all the venues stay open till 4am without alcohol, of course that would be like taking the dummy out of the babies mouth, how much is enough, go home and drink.

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Only stupid for alcoholics who need a drink after that. Why not let all the venues stay open till 4am without alcohol, of course that would be like taking the dummy out of the babies mouth, how much is enough, go home and drink.

Why would you worry about how much other people drink ... and when ?

If you don't like it then just don't go there.

Patong is pretty well known as a Party location and anybody who wants to have it quiet

might remember that going there for "quiet" is just a bad idea.

Why is this such a big deal? Bars that want to stay open past midnight can easily purchase a reasonably priced ‘special stay open late’ license (much like many other ‘special licenses’ available) from the police. Problem solved.

24 minutes ago, brain150 said:

Why would you worry about how much other people drink ... and when ?

If you don't like it then just don't go there.

Patong is pretty well known as a Party location and anybody who wants to have it quiet

might remember that going there for "quiet" is just a bad idea.

Don't get me wrong, I am fond of Patong, I stay twice a year and have been since I arrived in 2006 and yes it is a party location.

Having seen the affect of long term alcohol and what it does to people, is very sad, whilst I can hold my own, I don't like seeing those who can't hold their own and what alcohol does to them, fights, stabbings, gangs of Thai's kicking the shit out of them etc etc.

Everything in moderation I say, i.e. me personally I can go and sit at a bar and enjoy my drink till 12 and go back to my hotel for a good nights sleep and wake up feeling refreshed as opposed to hung over and enjoy the day.

I don't know of anywhere in the world where alcohol is served till the early hours of the world that goes Scott free from aggressive alcoholics, just have a look at Australia and what the coward punches have done to families when lives are taken from a King hit, hence the name, coward punch.

When I used to go out till the early hours I could party with limited alcohol intake and not mix my drinks, curving back closing time is good for people, bad for drinkers and I suppose you could say bad for business and the corrupt ones, just my opinion, while the hours are still in place, enjoy and keep partying safely.

Edited by 4MyEgo

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Having seen the affect of long term alcohol and what it does to people, is very sad, whilst I can hold my own, I don't like seeing those who can't hold their own and what alcohol does to them, fights, stabbings, gangs of Thai's kicking the shit out of them etc etc.

Everything in moderation I say, i.e. me personally I can go and sit at a bar and enjoy my drink till 12 and go back to my hotel for a good nights sleep and wake up feeling refreshed as opposed to hung over and enjoy the day.

I don't know of anywhere in the world where alcohol is served till the early hours of the world that goes Scott free from aggressive alcoholics, just have a look at Australia and what the coward punches have done to families when lives are taken from a King hit, hence the name, coward punch.

When I used to go out till the early hours I could party with limited alcohol intake and not mix my drinks, curving back closing time is good for people, bad for drinkers and I suppose you could say bad for business and the corrupt ones, just my opinion, while the hours are still in place, enjoy and keep partying safely.

1. Drinking is not a crime as it does no harm to others!

Stabbing someone is and as such is a case for the police.

You cannot make water illegal just because some people can't swim !

2. Moderation: who is the one to decide what's moderate ? You ? The Government ? ... or is it up to me to be responsible for myself ???

3. Germany has no limit on drinking at all ! ... You shouldn't drive after drinking though.

4. Your personal behavior is completely up to you and it should be. 

But you should allow other to also make their choices ... as long as it doesn't harm others.

Drinking does not harm others and that's where the clue of the whole thing is !!!

If they would make drinking in itself illegal then everybody would cry ... rightfully so !

Telling others when they can do something and when not based on nothing at all is called suppression !

That's what this is all about - showing power and suppressing the people for no reason at all.

It's called: State Tyranny !!! ... just because they write it on a piece of paper and call it "law" doesn't make it any different.

I'm an old codger. Used to drink just like many others. I don't drink now but I agree, keep Phuket alive. It is and akways was a great place for nightlife. If you don't like it then don't go. Even if you don't drink it's still fun to go.

4 minutes ago, brain150 said:

1. Drinking is not a crime as it does no harm to others!

Stabbing someone is and as such is a case for the police.

You cannot make water illegal just because some people can't swim !

2. Moderation: who is the one to decide what's moderate ? You ? The Government ? ... or is it up to me to be responsible for myself ???

3. Germany has no limit on drinking at all ! ... You shouldn't drive after drinking though.

4. Your personal behavior is completely up to you and it should be. 

But you should allow other to also make their choices ... as long as it doesn't harm others.

Drinking does not harm others and that's where the clue of the whole thing is !!!

If they would make drinking in itself illegal then everybody would cry ... rightfully so !

Telling others when they can do something and when not based on nothing at all is called suppression !

That's what this is all about - showing power and suppressing the people for no reason at all.

It's called: State Tyranny !!! ... just because they write it on a piece of paper and call it "law" doesn't make it any different.

1. Correct it is not a crime, however it does do harm to others https://www.niaaa.nih.gov/alcohol-health/alcohols-effects-body

2, Good question, there is no decider, except if you are going to drive a vehicle or ride a motorcycle

3. Up to Germany and agreed

4. Refer back to the link above, believe it or not, we are actually all controlled by laws, that's why a lot turn to alcohol, I think they call it escapism ?

Anyways I will be enjoying my San Miquel Light tonight, cheers 555 

59 minutes ago, brain150 said:

When did I ever give any Government the authority to tell me when I have to go home ?

... slaves like to be ruled as can be seen in many posts above !

Unfortunately, whenever they pass laws that stipulate what we have to do.  Don't forget, the government elites can do what they like, us plebs have to do what they pass into law.  :wai:

It is unlikely to happen for a number of reasons, in particular:

1. If Bangla is granted a special licence then the Government will be inundated with requests from other so-called entertainment zones.

2. Allowing opening beyond legal hours is a nice earner for the BIB, an income source they won't want to have removed.

3. The Government is generally anti-alcohol.

4. The country is only a quarter of the way through a year's period of mourning.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Don't get me wrong, I am fond of Patong, I stay twice a year and have been since I arrived in 2006 and yes it is a party location.

2006 you arrived....the real party time had finished years earlier.....shame you didnt see bangla road around 1998-2003...its was like the wild west...great times and packed to the raffters 12 months of the year...very happy time for my friends and myself....just a shadow of its former party place these days.

10 minutes ago, nongsangcity said:

2006 you arrived....the real party time had finished years earlier.....shame you didnt see bangla road around 1998-2003...its was like the wild west...great times and packed to the raffters 12 months of the year...very happy time for my friends and myself....just a shadow of its former party place these days.

So I have heard, would have loved to have seen that, although it was pretty busy December 2006 for me and my mate, 1st night we got so so so trashed, I think they call that "crashed and burnt" we kept it going for the 2 weeks we were here, although I remember returning home and laying in the fetal position asking myself <deleted> just happened to me, I need sleep, only to return 6 weeks later for more....lol

Things are different now, every 6 months when I go for a week or so, I see the changes, the bar closing, lots of people going to other countries like Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, etc etc, but for me, I have some familiar faces that I see when I go, but they are getting swallowed up in the changes of Phuket, I couldn't believe how quiet Aussie bar was and how many more bars closed in Tiger bar, oh well, times a changing 555