Phuket Poll: Does Patong need later closing times for bars and nightclubs?

webfact

Phuket Poll: Does Patong need later closing times for bars and nightclubs?

The Phuket News

1486919316_1-org.jpg

Should nightlife venues Bangla Rd in Patong be allowed to stay open later than the current legal hours of midnight or 1am? Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Chockchai Dejamornthan this week is to submit a formal request to extend the closing time for bars and nightclubs on Bangla Rd, Patong, to 4am.

The move follows the crackdown two weeks ago that saw scores of revellers in Phuket’s party town kicked out onto the tourist-flooded streets one night (see story here), and then bars and nightclubs deserted the next.

The raids enforced the current law that bars must close at midnight and nightclubs must close at 1am. These closing times are for venues inside Patong’s “entertainment zone”, which comprises Bangla Rd and extends 50 metres on either side thereof – venues elsewhere, depending on their entertainment license, are supposed to close earlier.

Just two days later, more than 20 Patong nightlife venue operators filed a petition addressed to Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha to extend the closing times for bars and clubs in Patong , and now the Governor is to make that request official with the support from the Phuket Provincial Office.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-poll-does-patong-need-later-closing-times-for-bars-and-nightclubs-61004.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-02-13

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Nope! They should close at the same time as other places. Far enough to party from 17-00. No need to have the early morning drunks with a childish mind or a violent behaviour.

5pm to Midnight ?  Are you joking ?  Would not go out until 11pm most nights. 

Always wondered why the rest of the world seems to have no trouble handling these sorts of matters, where as Thailand makes it a big deal.  3am -4am is pretty standard around the world.  2am for the more stodgier places.    They also seem better at dealing with childish, violent behavior.

It's an economic/social issue. In my experience nothing much good or uplifting happens after midnight in bars. But if the owners' right to make extra profits outweighs the residents wishes for a quieter life with less crime, then open all night. Money usually wins these arguments. I'm just glad I don't live anywhere near the place.

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Always wondered why the rest of the world seems to have no trouble handling these sorts of matters, where as Thailand makes it a big deal.  3am -4am is pretty standard around the world.  2am for the more stodgier places.    They also seem better at dealing with childish, violent behavior.

In Japan clubs can be open all night long and it is quite usual to see drunks emerging at 7:30 in the morning. The thing is they don't cause a nuisance and they are not at all like the tattooed tourist types we get here in Phuket and Pattaya who drink too much and want to argue or fight. I avoid them like the plague.

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Nope! They should close at the same time as other places. Far enough to party from 17-00. No need to have the early morning drunks with a childish mind or a violent behaviour.

the police here in Australia say nothing good happens after 1 am !    ...I think they are right on the money !

2 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

Why NOT...all party zones should be 24 and 7.  After all this is what Thailand is all about, now. OH, one more...malls too, 24 and 7. 

Wrong.That is what Patong is all about.Lets put the party zone next to your house and see what you think.

You are clearly a morning person. Others of us operate on a different 'clock'. I cannot sleep before 3am. Most of my professor friends are the same ... and they are not dysfunctional falling-down drunks. We would normally not go out before 11pm. Why should our options be limited because you feel a different schedule is the 'right' one.

And if you think that there will be fewer drunks if bars shut down early, it's not necessarily the case. When I visited Oxford many years ago, the pubs were still closing at 11pm. At 11pm, the bright lights would suddenly come on and the bouncers would start yelling at people to leave the bar NOW ... no time for a leisurely finish of your last drink. The patrons would be massively wasted... at 11pm. I asked an English friend about that, and her explanation was that because the pubs closed so early, people had to rush to get their fill beer. Drinking pint after pint to beat the clock is a recipe for disaster, and that's what was happening...  

Nor do we need prigs, who want to foist their puritan views on mere cattle unto the slaughter....

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

You choose Thailand, and you choose to go out 1 or 2 hours before closing. After that complaining. Unbelievable!

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Yes its a no brainer. Night time entertainment is the lifeblood of this area, young people on holiday do not go out until very late evening, so 3am - 4am is a sensible closing time.  p.s. I am not a teenager, i am in my 80's so would not use it myself, but young people  will and do.

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

go back to bed ole fella, its nearly 10pm !

4 minutes ago, Docno said:

You are clearly a morning person. Others of us operate on a different 'clock'. I cannot sleep before 3am. Most of my professor friends are the same ... and they are not dysfunctional falling-down drunks. We would normally not go out before 11pm. Why should our options be limited because you feel a different schedule is the 'right' one.

And if you think that there will be fewer drunks if bars shut down early, it's not necessarily the case. When I visited Oxford many years ago, the pubs were still closing at 11pm. At 11pm, the bright lights would suddenly come on and the bouncers would start yelling at people to leave the bar NOW ... no time for a leisurely finish of your last drink. The patrons would be massively wasted... at 11pm. I asked an English friend about that, and her explanation was that because the pubs closed so early, people had to rush to get their fill beer. Drinking pint after pint to beat the clock is a recipe for disaster, and that's what was happening...  

That clearly means that you and you friend would not be able to have a normal work. Can´t sleep before 3 am, are you joking. Just not a normal day cycle, and only one created for have the power to go out every day and drinking. That is also not a normal behaviour, and that is not what moving to another country is about.

Also this about getting drunk. Just don´t care about drunk or not. That was just what you hear about a lot and also see when you are out. The much better if there is no need to get drunk, then it´s just more fine that the places close the time they do. Just take your friends and sit talk on the beach with or without beers. Maybe you even might see the sun go up.

Any Brits over the age of 50 will have been brought up on strict licensing hours: 11am to 3pm then 5pm till 11pm in the cities, often more restrictive elsewhere. The West End of London still lacks regular pubs that operate after 11pm. Going out early was, and still is, the norm for many of us. 

One difference is that nightclubs have always worked on a different licence and for this night-owls there was always the option to pay an admission fee and party until 3 or 4am. 

But holidays were different: in Spain, Greece or anywhere in Southern Europe the culture was different and bars were open much later, and a a youngster this was very appealing and part of the holiday: going to bed at 4am and getting up at midday was par for the course. And that's what many younger tourists in particular still look for in a holiday.

Let it happen but only in designated areas such as Bangla. Keep the rest of the places quiet after 1am so that those that do choose to sleep can do so.

16 minutes ago, Docno said:

Yes too true, i remember the old 6 o'clock swill days in Melbourne. Pubs closed at 6pm and one would have 3 or 4 pots lined up on the outside on the pub window sill .  Bloody stupid for sure.

6 minutes ago, Get Real said:

That clearly means that you and you friend would not be able to have a normal work. Can´t sleep before 3 am, are you joking. Just not a normal day cycle, and only one created for have the power to go out every day and drinking. That is also not a normal behaviour, and that is not what moving to another country is about.

Also this about getting drunk. Just don´t care about drunk or not. That was just what you hear about a lot and also see when you are out. The much better if there is no need to get drunk, then it´s just more fine that the places close the time they do. Just take your friends and sit talk on the beach with or without beers. Maybe you even might see the sun go up.

YAWWWWN !

31 minutes ago, oldsailor35 said:

go back to bed ole fella, its nearly 10pm !

Only 10pm? Okey, then I got another 2 hours left to party. Thanks!
Not especially old either. Just 46 and was one of the lucky that could come stay here already at the age of 30.

1 minute ago, Get Real said:

Only 10pm? Okey, then I got another 2 hours left to party. Thanks!
Not especially old either. Just 46 and was one of the lucky that could come stay here already at the age of 30.

And now you want to control the place .  mmmmm!