Why post a question and then not allow replies?

Oxx

There's a new topic, with a title "Are 10% p.a. returns realistic?"

This is of course and interesting topic for discussion, and I'm sure a lot of members would have an option.

Why then do we read after the first post that "This topic is now closed to further replies"?

It's not as if anybody has even been given the chance to abuse the topic in reply.

Is the prevention of replies perhaps a mistake?

Topic is at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/960457-are-10-pa-returns-realistic/

Please note, that is an ThaiVisa advertorial

noun
a newspaper or magazine advertisement giving information about a product in the style of an editorial or objective journalistic article.

Many ThaiVisa advertisers who post articles are paying for the placement so will request the comment section be closed to keep the ThaiVisa riff raff from placing negative comments.  See post above mine for example  :)

Edited by RichCor

37 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Please note, that is an ThaiVisa advertorial

I followed the link from the ThaiVisa email update.  It is NOT labelled there "Ad".

Do you think it would it be OK if I started a topic "Are 10% p.a. returns realistic?" in the "Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments" forum to allow discussion of this interesting point?

7 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Do you think it would it be OK if I started a topic "Are 10% p.a. returns realistic?" in the "Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments" forum to allow discussion of this interesting point?

So long as you don't mention or reference the sponsor (directly or even indirectly), shouldn't be a problem. Though, as usually, check first if a specific forum has any additional rules or guidelines regarding posting. 

//adding:  but if someone else decides to posts negative comments about a current sponsor then expect to have the thread moderated and closed.

Edited by RichCor

5 hours ago, Oxx said:

See this topic and perhaps you won't need to start a new one:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/906601-10-return-on-investment-too-good-to-be-true/

I especially like the advertorial that insinuates that legalized gambling is coming to Pattaya imminently, so now's a great time to buy real estate- before it's too late.

With no opportunity for comment from people with actual experience, I can understand how noobs (and others) get schnookered into dicey investments.

IMO, that one is over the line.  Way over.

Edit:  BTW, any advertorial that holds out a 10% return without appropriate caveats (pages of them)  isn't much more ethical.

Edited by impulse

• 3 weeks later...

So many farang financial disasters in the 11 years I've lived here - anyone remember LMIM, plus the fact that after an impressive amount of forum discussion, the thread was understandably removed due to Thailand's defamation laws..Basically, the only way to steer clear of losing the lot is to keep your money to yourself.  'If it sounds too good to be true, it is!'

In my limited experience, 10 per cent returns should be treated with extreme caution, unless investors themselves have a successful background in the sector, and especially if the offer is  property-linked - see the latest news on Centara Grand residence - not so grand now.

It'd be good if this post is allowed to stand, guys.