Thai Cabinet OKs fund to bring electrical cables underground in 4 cities

webfact

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt they will put the existing cables underground, easier to put new ones underground and leave the old ones where they are. Many of the existing cables are redundant anyway. Did TOT remove their cable when I changed internet supplier? One guess.

The cables will go underground at the same speed that Bangkok traffic problems will be solved? I seem to recall some Minister saying the traffic problems would be fixed within a month! Is this cabling fix yet another joke? Mmmm............. :whistling:  There seems to be a slavish following of, by patting yourself on the back you're seen to go forward!

They started this in Hat Yai ten years ago beginning in the downtown area. Not only did the power cables go underground but the telephone and cable lines too. Since 2008 they've completed the second phase along Thanon Phetkasem from downtown toward PSU. But there's still 90% of the city left to do. Good news that there's to be government funding, maybe things will move a little faster. But it's a complicated process to untangle the web of lines.

Edited by Stocky

8 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Talking progress is one thing shovels in the ground will be another not happening in my lifetime. 

The plan to put Hat Yai's cables underground was noted on TV back in 2006

Work started in 2007, and ten years on they've completed probably 10-15% of the city. It will probably take a lifetime to complete.

No problem........Dig huge trench. Chainsaw/angle grind poles off at ground level. Lash each pair of  poles to a pair of motorbikes. Drive poles away from trench (Distance precisely determined by the height of poles). Untie poles with 10 blokes on each pole to push them over towards trench when 10 Tessaban officials shout Thai for 'Timber!' and 30 policemen blow whistles. All cables should fall into the trench with any strays pushed in by the 20 blokes with bamboo poles. Bury upended poles and saw off at ground level. Fill in the trench. Move on to the next 2 poles.

Just now, Stocky said:

The plan to put Hat Yai's cables underground was noted on TV back in 2006

Work started in 2007, and ten years on they've completed probably 10-15% of the city. It will probably take a lifetime to complete.

I think they would be better off to make no promises at all but to surprise people by starting work on burying wires. I am sure people would be cheering instead of laughing. Why do they persist in making fun of themselves??

What they've done in Hat Yai is excellent, it's made a huge difference to the look of the city's downtown area. They fixed up the pavements and put in nice street lights, it's very pleasant. It just takes a lot of time because the existing cabling is such a tangled mess. Below is the area of Lee Gardens outside the Centara Hotel. Hat Yai has a good City Major who's done a lot to improve the city since he was elected in 2004. 

lee_gardens_2008_external.jpg

What they've done in Hat Yai is excellent, it's made a huge difference to the look of the city's downtown area. They fixed up the pavements and put in nice street lights, it's very pleasant. It just takes a lot of time because the existing cabling is such a tangled mess. Below is the area of Lee Gardens outside the Centara Hotel. Hat Yai has a good City Major who's done a lot to improve the city since he was elected in 2004. 

lee_gardens_2008_external.jpg.146a4e3f1f26ac4c8428b3f0ccce9af1.jpg

Nice job.
I've seen similar in certain area's of Luang Prabang. Places that are favourites for photographs being taken of the morning alms offerings and they have had the overhead cables removed with nice results.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, jerojero said:

Billions and billions for useless things like submarines, and mere few million for legitimate upgrade of safety-infested eyesore cabling.

THESE ARE NOT JUST ORDINARY SUB'S ....they have retractable wheels for bay watch duty . they can chase the land lubber's right up to the shore and follow them down the highway .

Good idea but anyone who is residing i  those 4 cities expect major traffic jams due to poor planning. When my area in samut prakan change a round about to a cross junction, they jam up the whole area for 6 months while constructing the junction. Good luck.

8 hours ago, jerojero said:

Billions and billions for useless things like submarines, and mere few million for legitimate upgrade of safety-infested eyesore cabling.

Not really just a few million, already 11.66 billion baht have been set aside, and going by past experience, this amount will suddenly become insufficient!

4 hours ago, biplanebluey said:

I'm just disappointed that Udon Thani is not one of those "four key cities"

Lol.... I'm just glad they aren't starting in Phuket!

once we see the outcome of the "test model".... in about 15 years, with major disruptions and eff ups, they may have gained the experience to do further upgrades to more cities....

im happy too wait. ???

2 hours ago, HappyinNE said:

But will the subs be able to come back up?

So far, so good

the question is more about how many times the up/ down procedure will be performed before..., there she blows, skipper!

a common cry hereabouts ?

With all the cracks and open insulation patches on most of the electrical wiring, I would be terrified if they put it underground. With the ground water table just under the surface of the ground, be very careful if there is rain or any flooding. You going to get a big shock. Scary times ahead.

On 2/15/2017 at 6:38 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

<deleted> unbelievable! Bangkok is awash with cables and wires sticking out at every angle imaginable, and many unimaginable. And here are these tossers finding funds to put a large number of them underground in Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Pattaya and Nakhon Ratchasima.

Probably deemed unacheivable in Bangkok... ergo try somewhere easier to demonstrate some form of achievement

On 2/15/2017 at 6:38 PM, Jonmarleesco said:

<deleted> unbelievable! Bangkok is awash with cables and wires sticking out at every angle imaginable, and many unimaginable. And here are these tossers finding funds to put a large number of them underground in Chiang Mai, Hat Yai, Pattaya and Nakhon Ratchasima.

Need to lubricate the relations with the peasants. A small trickle from the trough will keep the snouts wet.

After years of digging up the Sukumvit road , Soi SCC, and many other side Soi,s for tunnels and water mains, we will now have to put up with more digging up of the roads for this farcical project ( if it ever happens ).

Even more traffic chaos around Pattaya to come :sad:

Is there no end to all this  ??????