When should I do my TM30 thing at Jomtien?

2 minutes ago, thinkingman said:

There is a sign behind counter 9 that (maybe) explains reporting. I was not able to snap a picture of it, but it says that the reporting applies to those staying in Thailand longer than 90 days. Something like first notification with TM7 then must report each 90 days (on TM30?).

I think that sign is for doing a report of staying over 90 days in the country which is done with a TM47 form.

On 2/20/2017 at 11:50 AM, wobalt said:

I personally believe that you will be just fine with the TM6 arrival card. Especially as from this year on, the airlines are informing passenger at arrival that you have to put a valid address in this card. There is still no information at airport immigration that a TM30 is demanded within xx hours from whoever when your residence is not different from your previous stay.

As there is nothing streamlined between the immigration offices it looks like a pilot to me, considering past approaches from 90 days report, questionnaires, tracking sims etc.

I recently came back to the same residence (condo) after a trip out of the country for a new Tourist Visa.  My condo-mgmt had no idea what a TM-30 was, no idea an online-reporting system existed, etc.  The most they can offer is the "So and So Lives Here" letter (which I already have).

I went to the Jomtien Immigration office and asked at the front desk if I needed to report returning to the same address after leaving the country.  They said, "Yes," and sent me to the "TM-30 Desk."  The TM-30 Reporting has been moved downstairs - to the left after you come in the front door - next to the copier.  I was sent there, and spoke to a lady who told me I did the right thing - even if not changing my address.  I needed a copy of the front of my passport, and my latest entry-stamp.  The old TM-30 slip was removed from my passport and a new one inserted.  There was no charge for this.

Someone else was in this office paying a several-thousand Baht fine for failing to report - apparently caught when applying for a visa-extension.  They were not happy, and got to go chat with the boss for awhile, then returned to pay.  So, yes, this is real - yes, it is being enforced - and yes, you should do it if you don't want problems later. 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

I recently came back to the same residence (condo) after a trip out of the country for a new Tourist Visa.  My condo-mgmt had no idea what a TM-30 was, no idea an online-reporting system existed, etc.  The most they can offer is the "So and So Lives Here" letter (which I already have).

I went to the Jomtien Immigration office and asked at the front desk if I needed to report returning to the same address after leaving the country.  They said, "Yes," and sent me to the "TM-30 Desk."  The TM-30 Reporting has been moved downstairs - to the left after you come in the front door - next to the copier.  I was sent there, and spoke to a lady who told me I did the right thing - even if not changing my address.  I needed a copy of the front of my passport, and my latest entry-stamp.  The old TM-30 slip was removed from my passport and a new one inserted.  There was no charge for this.

Someone else was in this office paying a several-thousand Baht fine for failing to report - apparently caught when applying for a visa-extension.  They were not happy, and got to go chat with the boss for awhile, then returned to pay.  So, yes, this is real - yes, it is being enforced - and yes, you should do it if you don't want problems later. 

Thanks for the report back. Glad you mentioned the TM30 office has now moved downstairs as I would be of been upstairs looking for them next time to report in.

On 21.2.2017 at 0:07 PM, JackThompson said:

Just had a discussion on this. Possibly the issue is that you had a tourist visa. When you leave the country and your visa ended, it is expected that your accommodation matters are ending as well. When you return a new cycle begins..

• Like 1

I think it's a bit rum for Immigration Offices to be levying fines on anyone who has been 90-day reporting. The "receipt of notification" issued to me last week states quite clearly "Please notify your address again on ..."  I know it has been said that the purpose of 90-day reporting is simply to notify your continued presence in Thailand, but there doesn't seem much point in that unless it's linked to an address. I was required to submit a TM30 with the retirement extension last week, never having had to before, but Rayong clearly regard it as a formality to comply with national instructions rather than an occasion to pursue applicants for an alleged breach of regulations.

Let me detail my recent experience at the Chonburi Immigration office at Jomtien

Age 73-retired to Thailand at 65. Same house for last 6 years. Retirement Visa- every year-no problem. Went back to U.K. for two weeks to see son.

Got single re-entry visa.

I had read Thai Visa re-entry advice, so at Suvanabhumi I made sure on my return on Thursday Feb 9th, at 9.30 a.m., that they stamped permitted to stay till May 11th which is the date on my extension retirement visa.

At 8.30 a.m. on the following day, Friday the 10th , advised by my friends, despite a stinking flue picked up on my U.K.visit, compounded by jet lag, and with precious little sleep in the previous two days, I went to the Immigration office, complete with all relevant copies of house book, passport, spouse I.D. etc.

Unsure of what department to go to, I asked the man on the information desk. I explained I had come to report back within 24hours of arrival and enquired which desk I should go to. He asked to see my passport. He looked at the re-entry visa, the new stamp and the TM form given you on the plane. He then announced-” you do not have to report. Just come back before 90 days starting from the day you arrived back” -He said this, pointing to my permitted to stay stamp which was stamped on the 9th, permitting me to stay until 11th May. I said are you sure and he confirmed.

I came home.

Later, I related my experience to the friends who had advised me to report in 24hours of arrival. They said the man on the information desk had given me incorrect information. Yesterday Feb 22nd,  I returned to Immigration, bypassed the man on the information desk and explained what had happened to other immigration staff. A TM30 was completed and I have a stamped notice in my passport confirming that

“ immigration have received notification of aliens address”

Successs !!!! I had completed the correct address reporting procedure.

A cautionary tale. From reading other posts, it would seem that

a) If I was lucky, there might have been no problems if I had waited till the 90 days reporting from 9th Feb was due.

B) On the other hand if my luck was out (or the tea money was low) I could have been fined 4000baht.if I had waited 90 days as instructed by the man on the information desk.

Is that a fair summary of the position?

On 2/18/2017 at 4:28 PM, TerrylSky said:

Do you know that every time you stay more than 48 hours at a place you need to report it? AND the hotel or wherever ALSO does. That's what immigration told me after I stayed 3 nights in CM on a trip layover. They let it go since I didn't know about it; but obviously the guesthouse in CM reported it as required. The law is total nonsense. It's as bad as commie China. 

How would they know you were away for 48 hours, eg staying with a bird up in Bkk, if you didn't tell them?

3 hours ago, kxfield said:

Let me detail my recent experience at the Chonburi Immigration office at Jomtien

Successs !!!! I had completed the correct address reporting procedure.

A cautionary tale. From reading other posts, it would seem that

a) If I was lucky, there might have been no problems if I had waited till the 90 days reporting from 9th Feb was due.

B) On the other hand if my luck was out (or the tea money was low) I could have been fined 4000baht.if I had waited 90 days as instructed by the man on the information desk.

Is that a fair summary of the position?

I would say that is precisely the case.  I spoke to some people in line there (waiting for the copier) who were there for other extensions, had no idea about "this TM-30 thing," and said they had no intention of doing it, and would "leave the country" if they had to do this (explitive, yada, yada).  I have no idea what percentage of them will end up paying 4K Baht for their decision. 

But, granted, they only heard about this requirement from me - "some other foreign guy in line."  When they entered the country, there was nothing provided by an official source informing them of this law.  That is the part which I find the most objectionable.  I only had a clue about this requirement because I read this forum.  We all know the phrase, "Ignorance of the law is  no excuse," but come on, a little heads-up about something we would not expect (since we gave our address on the TM6 form, already) would be the friendly thing to do. 

Edited by JackThompson

UbonJoe and the TM30 gurus on TVF have convinced me. I'll be heading off to Jomtien in the next few days to do my TM30, well in advance of my 90 day reporting.

Question for the TM30 gurus. Which foreigners, on entering Thailand from abroad, are exempt from this TM30 rule?

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, AbeSurd said:

UbonJoe and the TM30 gurus on TVF have convinced me. I'll be heading off to Jomtien in the next few days to do my TM30, well in advance of my 90 day reporting.

Question for the TM30 gurus. Which foreigners, on entering Thailand from abroad, are exempt from this TM30 rule?

Thanks.

Under the law, all foreigners should have a TM-30 filed.  In theory, your guesthouse/hotel should do this for you, though many clearly do not.  Also, at Bangkok CW immigration, they are not asking for TM-30s when applying for extensions.  If you never go to immigration for an extension, or you apply only in Bangkok, you may be able ignore this requirement without consequence (for now). 

Although they could, in theory, catch people upon leaving the country and hit them with the fine, this is unlikely, because it would set of a firestorm of international criticism of Thai-tourism.

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

I would say that is precisely the case.  I spoke to some people in line there (waiting for the copier) who were there for other extensions, had no idea about "this TM-30 thing," and said they had no intention of doing it, and would "leave the country" if they had to do this (explitive, yada, yada).  I have no idea what percentage of them will end up paying 4K Baht for their decision. 

But, granted, they only heard about this requirement from me - "some other foreign guy in line."  When they entered the country, there was nothing provided by an official source informing them of this law.  That is the part which I find the most objectionable. 

Why on earth should immigration officers tell aliens about a requirement that actually has to be complied to by their landlord / accommodation provider ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siam2007 said:

Why on earth should immigration officers tell aliens about a requirement that actually has to be complied to by their landlord / accommodation provider ?

Exactly , thats why I do not even mention it , I have been renting both in CM, Bangkok and Pattaya.  When the time comes the landlord is responsble and then we can take it from there, but so far so good. 

4 hours ago, siam2007 said:

Because immigration officials at many offices have been instructed to make it our problem, if you ever want an extension.

• Like 1

A small slip of paper stapled into your passport at the same time the re-entry stamp is inserted

" Please ensure you make arrangements for a completed TM30

to be registered with Immigration within 24hours ( or 1working day )

of your arrival back in Thailand "

Does anyone at Thai Visa have any communication with the Management of Chonburi Immigration.

Perhaps they could elaborate on the confusion being currently created and persuade them to

undertake this small step.

However I understand that "one small step for a man is one giant leap for Immigration "

A sign at the airport would be too much to ask.

Basically a good idea. However, luckily the TM30 is usually not the task of the "normal" foreigner arriving in Thailand at present. Also the new "changes" have been installed at only some immigration "hotspots" in the country. And where it is installed some people are affected , others not. We have to understand the circumstances, why is that. Obviously immigration offices are forced to monitor intensive the movements of aliens in some areas. As first approaches like the information sheet or the tracking sims are not successful or practical, TM30 is maybe now another way, expected to solve their problem.

On 23/02/2017 at 3:20 PM, AbeSurd said:

I didn't. I changed my mind.

I changed my mind about proactively submitting a TM30 for now. Reading various posts on TVF over the last week or two it seems like doing so, in my case, might be an invitation for the TM30 room at Jomtien to fine me.

Instead, today I went into Jomtien immigration and asked to do my 90-day reporting. Although there was no TM30 slip in my passport, neither the helpful people on the reception desk nor the helpful guy on the 90-day reporting desk said anything about this. Instead, at the end, the helpful guy on the 90-day reporting desk reminded me of the date when I'd need to do my 90-day reporting again, and reminded me of the date by which I need to renew my retirement extension. It took about 30 minutes. No problem.

That's what happened today in my case. I'm not recommending this as a course of action for others.

PS: There are various other TVF threads going about the TM30 issue but, as OP, I thought I'd update this particular thread as I started it.

Edited by AbeSurd

lovethailandelite.....you've got more patience with TV members than I have! I'm only on page two of the thread and am sick of people not listening to you. Basically people don't want to hear the truth. I was down there a few weeks back and the lady in the left hand side office told me and my wife the same thing; the law has been on the books but never enforced, but will be from now on. My wife gave her a big wai and apologized so I wasn't fined......."this time", her words not mine. Since I've got a lot to lose if denied a visa/extension of stay I'll be heading down there to report, cheap insurance.

• Like 1

I am interested in this topic because it is a puzzling. As I understand it ilovethilandite was the first to be affected by it, and from that one incident this whole empire on the second floor of Jomtien Immigration has grown. People have tried to defend it, others have pointed out that it is selective, hotly denied by ilovethailandite and those selected, but now I notice from one post of a retiree that he and his wife were "dragged in", that, I did not expect. Would it be worth finding out what distinguises those affected from those unaffected or is it too late for that?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

13 hours ago, AbeSurd said:

Instead, today I went into Jomtien immigration and asked to do my 90-day reporting. Although there was no TM30 slip in my passport, neither the helpful people on the reception desk nor the helpful guy on the 90-day reporting desk said anything about this. Instead, at the end, the helpful guy on the 90-day reporting desk reminded me of the date when I'd need to do my 90-day reporting again, and reminded me of the date by which I need to renew my retirement extension. It took about 30 minutes. No problem.

I had a similar experience. 90-day report, re-entry permit, no mention of TM28 or TM30 or registering. I own my own condo and I think this may have something to do with it.

I will be leaving the country in a few weeks time and the day after my return I may take a TM30 down there to see what happens.

17 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I will be leaving the country in a few weeks time and the day after my return I may take a TM30 down there to see what happens.

Me too. I definitely WILL do the TM30 thing next time I enter Thailand - assuming the situation hasn't changed by then.

Have either of you actually ever read Thailand's Immigration laws, that is the law to which you are expected to abide by while staying in the Country?
Sections 37 and 38 detail the conditions of address reporting.
37. The responsibility of the foreigner using a TM28 to notify a change of address when different from the address you advised on your TM6.
38. The responsibility of the 'housemaster' using a TM30, the definition of which can be found under section 4.

It's a plot alright, one they hatched in 1979 but never enforced until recently.

Thai Immigration Act 2522en-immigration.pdf

Have you compared the Immigration Act with the police notice, a picture of which is somewhere here? The part in red is not correct.
Someone said that we are all tourists but a retirement extension provides for 'end of life" provided the subject remains qualified, and a marriage extension can reasonably be expected to carry similar longevity, those of us in this position are not tourists. People who live here under the guise of tourism are not in the same position and it is a waste of space defending them when Immigration pays particular attention to them.

TM30 observations.

TM30 requirement has always existed, but was never enforced,  the shrine bombings and some broader immigration crackdowns has resulted in the TM30 requirements being enforced. The enforcement is not consistent across immigration offices or officers.

A TM6 arrival card does not meet TM30 requirements, many people have been fined with a correctly filled out TM6. 

A TM30 is to be completed by owner, housemaster, lease holder or possessor. The immigration offices are making it the aliens responsibility to put in a TM30. 

At Jomtien immigration, if you are longterm "in the system", extensions, 90 days, resident certificates etc, reports of fines are rare to none. Reports of fines appear to be if you are "new to the system", extending a tourist visa, 1st resident certificate, 1st extension etc. Jomtien immigration does not appear to push the 24 hour away or every re-entry requirement. 

If you are fresh of the plane on a visa exempt or tourist visa and not extending your stay, enjoy your holiday.

If you are fresh off the plane and intending to extend or change visa etc, put in a TM30 as it may come back to bite you if you dont.

If you are a long term resident with a history at jomtien immigration it appears to be business as usual. You may wish to submit a TM30 asap or submit a TM30 next time you move or re-enter Thailand.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 2

TM30 observations.

TM30 requirement has always existed, but was never enforced,  the shrine bombings and some broader immigration crackdowns has resulted in the TM30 requirements being enforced. The enforcement is not consistent across immigration offices or officers.

A TM6 arrival card does not meet TM30 requirements, many people have been fined with a correctly filled out TM6. 

A TM30 is to be completed by owner, housemaster, lease holder or possessor. The immigration offices are making it the aliens responsibility to put in a TM30. 

At Jomtien immigration, if you are longterm "in the system", extensions, 90 days, resident certificates etc, reports of fines are rare to none. Reports of fines appear to be if you are "new to the system", extending a tourist visa, 1st resident certificate, 1st extension etc. Jomtien immigration does not appear to push the 24 hour away or every re-entry requirement. 

My agency did mine about a year ago I have a slip in the back if my passport. Should I have done anything else? I have left the country a few times to get a new Tourist visa.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

TM30 requirement has always existed, but was never enforced,  the shrine bombings and some broader immigration crackdowns has resulted in the TM30 requirements being enforced.

This TM30 crackdown is perhaps also a result of the problems Immigration are having with the online reporting system they provide for the use of hotels and guesthouses?

6 minutes ago, AbeSurd said:

This TM30 crackdown is perhaps also a result of the problems Immigration are having with the online reporting system they provide for the use of hotels and guesthouses?

The TM30 form enforcement started almost 2 years ago at some offices.

Jomtien has just taken it to a new level recently. Fining people for not reporting a change of address instead of not doing a TM30 but wanting wanting one to report the change of address.

7 minutes ago, AbeSurd said:

It started when they adopted the 'Good guys in, Bad guys out policy' and the sudden realisation that Thailand had to many foreigners flying under the radar. Typically they're trying to lock the stable doors after lots have already bolted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I am interested in this topic because it is a puzzling. As I understand it ilovethilandite was the first to be affected by it, and from that one incident this whole empire on the second floor of Jomtien Immigration has grown. People have tried to defend it, others have pointed out that it is selective, hotly denied by ilovethailandite and those selected, but now I notice from one post of a retiree that he and his wife were "dragged in", that, I did not expect. Would it be worth finding out what distinguises those affected from those unaffected or is it too late for that?

I wasn't the first to be fined by a long shot. I wish I could claim fame to that :smile:. I think I was just the first to do a detailed report.

We all know that that is not true, a tour to Thailand where your first day in country is occupied by Immigration formalities! Only a complete idiot would consider that a sensible thing to offer tourists. You are losing all sense of proportion.