Getting A Cold In Thailand Worse Than In The West?

yogavnture

1 hour ago, Mangkhut said:

I have also had many of these really long lasting colds/flus while travelling and staying in Thailand and other asian countries. It stuck with me often for 2-3 weeks. Although not very sick, just a bit of cough (could be quite bad cough actually) and "tight chest" and a bit of general not wellbeing feel, fatigue etc - still not very bad. And I thought it was nothing to be done other than symptomatical treatments as of cough, fever etc.

But at one stage I got so stuck with one of these - what I belived was colds/flus and the sickness just didnt go away even one week after I had returned home. And since Im a nurse myself and have access to medicines in my job I had treated myself with general antibiotics (benzylpenicillin) but with no cure for my illness - so I went to my GP and I had also done some research myself. And I explained my case to the GP and told him from my research this could be an infection caused by what is called atypical bacterias - the mycoplasma pneumoniae - and that gives whats called an atypical pneumonia also called walking pneumonia in english I belive. It has lighter symptoms than other pneumonias and you often think its a cold or a flu and even goes to work with it. And the GP agreed with me and said that seems very true.

So I was given the right antibiotics  - which is Erytromycin or Doxycillin and I got better in 1-2 days and 100 % well after 3-4 days.

And after that - if I get something similar cold/flu symptoms thats lasts more than a week and I cough a lot and have a general fatigue etc I have been getting and taking those right antibiotics - and wham-bang better in no time.

So if you get cold/flu symptoms thats lasts long and gives you bad cough, fatigue, sore throat, tight chest etc - consider that it can be a atypical pneumonia/walking pneumonia and see a doctor and tell him that. The right antibiotics will cure it very quickly.

I have got atypical pneumonia in Thailand and other asian countries several times and never back home in Europe so I think the mycoplasma pneumonia is more common in Asia.

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/walking-pneumonia

I had a friend in Florida (68 yo) who got walking pneumonia. Went to see the hospital and got a prescription for an antibiotic to be taken for one full week. After 2 or 3 days his symptoms disappeared and he stopped taking the antibiotic. A week later he was dead, the bacteria had come back full force and taken over his entire body (sepsis).

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

Of course iHerb delivers to Thailand. Just got a box full of good stuff. Just be careful to order for US$ 40 or more (free shipping) but less than US$ 80, because then the parcel will be delivered to your home with no additional charges. All you pay is the very low US price, the cheapest in the world. And they have more than 35,000 products to chose from.

Thanks for the tip. They definitely did stop for a while though as I use to order shit from them all the time then one order when I chose Thailand as my delivery address big spiel came up about how they weren't allowed to anymore. Glad they are back on. Your spot on cheapest prices in the world by far.

23 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

My experience is the same. I arrived in Thailand at the beginning of January and developed the worst cold I can ever remember. It took me a full three weeks to recover. I suspect that it arises from exposure to organisms that are completely unfamiliar to our immune system.

Although my reading of the subject categorically rules out the effect of recirculated air on airline flights, I am absolutely convinced that this is the reason. These systems are not capable of filtering out viruses and the seating arrangements bring us into close proximity to a large number of people from a variety  of countries who might all be carriers of viruses to which we have never previously  been exposed and for which we have no immunity.

I think u are right about this. and the plus side is this.........if this happens while we are youn enuf not to keel over and die. then it actually makes us stronger because the immune system is ready for it next time.  but u are right on on this rajab I think its cause we are not used to the foreign invaders.

1 hour ago, Mangkhut said:

I have also had many of these really long lasting colds/flus while travelling and staying in Thailand and other asian countries. It stuck with me often for 2-3 weeks. Although not very sick, just a bit of cough (could be quite bad cough actually) and "tight chest" and a bit of general not wellbeing feel, fatigue etc - still not very bad. And I thought it was nothing to be done other than symptomatical treatments as of cough, fever etc.

But at one stage I got so stuck with one of these - what I belived was colds/flus and the sickness just didnt go away even one week after I had returned home. And since Im a nurse myself and have access to medicines in my job I had treated myself with general antibiotics (benzylpenicillin) but with no cure for my illness - so I went to my GP and I had also done some research myself. And I explained my case to the GP and told him from my research this could be an infection caused by what is called atypical bacterias - the mycoplasma pneumoniae - and that gives whats called an atypical pneumonia also called walking pneumonia in english I belive. It has lighter symptoms than other pneumonias and you often think its a cold or a flu and even goes to work with it. And the GP agreed with me and said that seems very true.

So I was given the right antibiotics  - which is Erytromycin or Doxycillin and I got better in 1-2 days and 100 % well after 3-4 days.

And after that - if I get something similar cold/flu symptoms thats lasts more than a week and I cough a lot and have a general fatigue etc I have been getting and taking those right antibiotics - and wham-bang better in no time.

So if you get cold/flu symptoms thats lasts long and gives you bad cough, fatigue, sore throat, tight chest etc - consider that it can be a atypical pneumonia/walking pneumonia and see a doctor and tell him that. The right antibiotics will cure it very quickly.

I have got atypical pneumonia in Thailand and other asian countries several times and never back home in Europe so I think the mycoplasma pneumonia is more common in Asia.

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/walking-pneumonia

Glad you got it sorted.

May I suggest that although the antibiotic killed off the bacteria causing the infection, it also killed off many other "good" bacteria that your body needs for optimal health.

So after a course of antibiotics it may be important to rebuild the good bacteria in your gut.

Google can help you learn how to do this.

Here is some info that I have gathered from the internet and I pass it on to give you a start.....

How does it work - An apple a day keeps the doctor away and Chicken Soup? 

The key to best health is the diversity of your microbiome, and the diversity of your good bacteria, unfortunately, antibiotics kill them all but you cannot live without the good ones!

Overview:

After taking Antibiotics: or How to avoid Colon Cancer!

1)     AVOID INFLAMMATORY FOODS.

2)     REBUILD GOOD BACTERIA by eating:

a)     Apple sauce with raisins and turmeric;

B)    Chicken bone broth with turmeric;

c)     Vegetables and

d)    Fermented vegetables. (See below for details)

Did you try natural antibiotics such as Garlic, Colloidal silver, Oil of Oregano, Echinacea and Manuka Honey, the natural antibiotics are usually not as strong and take longer to work.

(Garlic and Turmeric could be part of your regular diet.)

(Turmeric: natural Anti-inflammatory – as good as or better than many Pharmaceutical drugs)

1)            AVOID INFLAMMATORY FOODS
particularly wheat, dairy, sugar and fried food for at least 10 days to a month. Even though you may feel better after 10 days it takes much longer to fully rebuild your immune system. Remember that 70% of your immune system is totally reliant on this good balance of bacteria.

There are studies showing young children under five, taking antibiotics has an impact on the level of their overall health as they get older. Rebuilding good bacteria avoids children getting asthma or recurring ear infections et cetera. The more antibiotics they have early in life, the more vulnerable they are to illness later on.

2)      BUILD UP THE GOOD BACTERIA.

a)         Apple sauce.

Take four apples and wash them, do not peel them – the pectin is just under the skin.

Dice them into half inch pieces and put them into a saucepan, add a handful of raisins and plenty of cinnamon. Add a little water up to about one third of the apples.

Turn on the heat and simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.
When the skins start to get a little shine on them, they are ready to be eaten. The shine is actually the pectin, the cooking has released it and made it instantly available for the good bacteria to feed on and then they are able to help to heal your gut very quickly.

Uncooked, apples are hard to digest and you would not get the full benefit from them quickly.

I recommend that you eat about 6 to 10 spoonfuls of this applesauce twice a day for a week and then maybe once every few days for the rest of the month to help to properly heal a leaky gut.

(I always heard that apple a day keeps the doctor away and now I know why.)

(Now learn why Grandma always made chicken soup for sick people)

B)      Chicken Bone Broth with Turmeric.

The collagen in chicken bone broth acts as a natural prebiotic, meaning it feeds the good bacteria and helps seal a leaky gut which was damaged by the antibiotic.

Without the good bacteria the lining of the gut allows larger molecules to pass into the bloodstream which attach themselves to organ cells like the Brain, Heart, Liver etc. and your autoimmune system sets up antibodies to attack and kill these unwanted macro molecules but in the process, they kill organ cells as well, this is where autoimmune diseases come from.

Turmeric is probably the most potent of all natural anti-inflammatories, and tastes great!

c)       Vegetables. (Organic and non-GMO if possible, if not use what you can get).

There is a substance made in your gut called butyrate or butyric acid.

Your whole body is renewed every seven years some cells are replaced very quickly, like the lining of your gut, it only takes 3 to 7 days for the gut to be completely replaced. 
The fuel to build the new gut cells is butyrate, or butyric acid and if your body does not make enough, you are more vulnerable to COLON CANCER.

There are two categories of vegetable fibre, soluble and insoluble and it is the insoluble fibre that the good bacteria use to make the butyrate. You need to eat a lot of vegetables.

Prebiotic's, such as the root vegetables, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, beets, artichoke hearts, carrots, bananas et cetera.

Mixed vegetables are sautéed in a little coconut oil or olive oil with garlic and eaten with every meal.

You could add green leafy vegetables like the cruciferous family which are very anti-carcinogenic.

You can add any and all vegetables, the more the better.

If some of the vegetables taste a little bitter the cure is to have a mixture of many vegetables and add some turmeric, you will not taste the bitterness and you will also help to reduce inflammation.

d)      Fermented Vegetables.

They must not be pasteurised, because this kills bacteria and you need the bacteria. That's why you're buying fermented vegetables! (I was angry that Lidl Sauerkraut was pasteurised!)

Eat as many different kinds of fermented vegetables as possible, because they all have different families of good bacteria. If you can, buy five or more different kinds to keep in the fridge, you can eat just a fork full of any of those vegetables randomly during the day.

If you just take a supplement that has Lactobacillus acidophilus, while that is not bad, we now know that it is diversity that you need because they all interplay to form your army.

You cannot just have all privates in the army, there must be some sergeants to organise the privates.

There have to be lieutenants to coordinate sergeants and so on.

That's what the different families of bacteria do, that's why you need the variety and the diversity of bacteria.

Together, they keep the bad bacteria in check!

Background:

Antibiotics, what they do and what can we do about what they do.

The key to optimal health is the diversity of your microbiome, and the diversity of your good bacteria.

Humans are a collection of cells, for each of your own body cells there will be 10 bacteria cells.

Many of the nutrients that your body needs are created by the various bacteria in your gut.

Without good bacteria you will become sick and die.

There will always be some bad bacteria present but as long as there are sufficient numbers of the good bacteria the bad colonies will be restricted in size and in the damage they can do.

Encouraging good bacteria and controlling bad bacteria is done by the foods you choose to eat and drink.

Many foods do the opposite of what is good for optimal health, they encourage the bad and restrict the good and damage your hormones and gene expression.

Probiotic is a technical name for the good bacteria.

Prebiotic's are the foods that encourage the growth of the good bacteria.

Antibiotics kill bacteria, that is their job.

Sometimes you need an antibiotic and although we should try to use more natural antibiotics such as Garlic, Colloidal silver, Oil Of Oregano, Echinacea and Manuka Honey, the natural antibiotics are usually not as strong and take longer to work.

When you use pharmaceutical antibiotics, they make a dramatic impact to your overall health.

By killing all the bacteria, bad and good, you have hopefully cured your illness.

Unfortunately most pharmaceutical antibiotics are not selective and “nuke” both good and bad bacteria.

Now you must really pay attention to the recolonisation of your gut with good bacteria as quickly as possible.

There are long-term studies, that show that, six months to a year or even two years later, the microbiome had not returned to a healthy balance of bacteria.

Your good bacteria is the main protection against every assault by bad bacteria.

Each assault is screened by the good bacteria, so a strong army should be there to protect you.

You are what you eat!

If you are gluten sensitive you must avoid all products containing wheat forever!

Do not be tempted to eat even a tiny portion, like Birthday Cake!

Just a tiny amount is all that is needed to re awaken your immune system and stimulate any immune diseases that you have been trying so hard for so long to get rid of!

All things in moderation is total BS in this case!

Do some research also on Vitamin C and Vitamin D3!

There is a lot more that I could tell you but I am trying to keep it simple and I honestly believe that it is better that anyone interested in this, find out for themselves.

There are too many fad diets about.....

11 hours ago, tropo said:

I've had no problem with iHerb shipping here. I've had quite a few packages delivered over the last 6 months.

I don't know where I'd be without them. You can't buy straight D3 in Thailand as far as I know... you can get it combined with other stuff I don't want, and I wanted the 10,000 IU strength.

New report in favor of D: https://www.newscientist.com/article/2121424-vitamin-d-supplements-may-prevent-millions-of-winter-infections/?campaign_id=RSS|NSNS-news

12 hours ago, starky said:

Drawing with a wide brush there mate absolutely no problem getting codeine over the counter in Oz, besides having to show ID :)

Guess you didn't get the memo, mate.

You Won't Be Able To Buy Codeine Over The Counter Anymore

Earlier this year, Australian rapper 360 revealed his addiction to codeine, admitting to taking 90 pills including Nurofen Plus each day.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration on Tuesday announced that codeine medication would not be available without a doctor's prescription from 2018, restricting the supply of drugs currently available freely over the counter. After a review of the drug, the TGA decided to upscale codeine from an over the counter drug to a Schedule 4 prescription medicine.

--http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/12/19/you-wont-be-able-to-buy-codeine-over-the-counter-anymore/

I personally can't tolerate life here without a/c, except during the short cool season. And I am not getting frequent colds or flu, quite the contrary (knock on wood!) though I did when i first moved here.

I don't think a/c per se is the culprit. But the places where a/c tends to be excessive (malls, restaurants etc) are also places with large crowds of people, and that combined with lack of outside ventilation can certainly promote spread of air-borne diseases. (Airplanes of course are the worst in this regard).

14 hours ago, starky said:

Off topic but it's a pet peeve of mine that there is less availability to helpful medicines because <deleted> junkies misuse them. Once again punishing normal people by pandering to <deleted> that have zero self control.

With pseudoephedrine, the restriction has nothing to do with "zero self-control" - they use it to make yabba. I'm also not happy I can't get it now, but there's no point getting upset about it. Fortunately, I haven't had a cold for years. Food poisoning is the biggest health risk here.

On 2/19/2017 at 11:33 AM, Fookhaht said:

Same with me exactly.  I had three or more colds a year back in North America (cold climate area), and maybe once a year here on the average--but oh, do they hang on!   I wonder if it has anything to do with the more humid/warm climate that favors incubating germs/viruses?  Just my uneducated guess   

I think the variations described by people here is probably due to the cold virus being a different strain from those in the West. Often we talk of having colds in the Winter in Europe and US etc but in Thailand I am not sure it is anything to do with "cold weather" per se as colds are contracted through other people. My last cold was in Surat Thani where at no time of year can it ever be considered cold, day or night.

3 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

I think the variations described by people here is probably due to the cold virus being a different strain from those in the West. Often we talk of having colds in the Winter in Europe and US etc but in Thailand I am not sure it is anything to do with "cold weather" per se.

Considering the number of tourists coming and going from the West I would venture to say the viruses are basically the same strains you encounter in the West. It would be interesting to know how often Thai people caught colds long ago before jet travel.

ChrisKC:  The likely connection with cold weather is that people tend, in cold weather, to congregate indoors for long periods of time and to close off windows to keep their buildings warm. These factors concentrate  airborne viruses in the rebreathed air and increase the susceptibility to infections. 

On 19/02/2017 at 2:40 PM, Sheryl said:

Different viral strains mean that you initially have no or less immunity thatn the locals. It is usual whenever one moves to a different region of the world to suffer a lot from colds in the  first few years. Same thing happens to Thais when they go to the west.

I had this problem for mayeb the first 5 years or so  living here but no longer, it does ease up for long-timers, but that easing is achieved the hard way. through antibodies formed each time you get sick.

Knock on wood, I normally get less than one cold every 2-3 years here. BUT the reverse process has occurred; now that I have spend decades in this part of the world, I no longer have up to date immunity to the bugs in the West and often get sick when i go back to farangland.:laugh:

My Thai wife and I spend half the year in Spain and the other half in Thailand.

We don't get colds in either location and we have been doing this for 5 years so far.

We both eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and I maintain a good tan.

We both take regular exercise and we are not grossly overweight.

We use aircon in Thailand in the bedroom for a comfortable nights sleep but only drop the temperature to somewhere between 25 - 28 C

Spain can often be hotter than Thailand but the design of our flat is such that it stays below 30C even in the height of summer.

Thai windows are far too big and the walls far too thin and not insulated.

Switching between over cooled environments to hot and humid and vice versa is something we try to avoid.

Example, being hot and sweaty, then sitting in a freezing taxi for an hour and then being outside for a while before going back into the cold seems to be a sure fire recipe for colds to develop.

Most importantly, we have fairly stress free lives and get plenty of good quality sleep.

If you often get sick when you visit Farangland, could this mean that your immune system is compromised?

Are there loads of toxins in your environment, house cleaning materials, air pollution, bugs, food intollerances etc.

If your immune system is too busy trying to keep you safe from a toxic environment, it maybe overloaded and falls over when it gets hit with the different additional toxins and bugs in Faranglands environment?

If you often get sick when you visit Farangland, could this mean that your immune system is compromised? 

Without a doubt, on the sleep factor alone!

For me, 32 hours of travel with no sleep, plus the jet lag hassle when you arrive at your destination!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

11 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Guess you didn't get the memo, mate.

You Won't Be Able To Buy Codeine Over The Counter Anymore

Earlier this year, Australian rapper 360 revealed his addiction to codeine, admitting to taking 90 pills including Nurofen Plus each day.

The Therapeutic Goods Administration on Tuesday announced that codeine medication would not be available without a doctor's prescription from 2018, restricting the supply of drugs currently available freely over the counter. After a review of the drug, the TGA decided to upscale codeine from an over the counter drug to a Schedule 4 prescription medicine.

--http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2016/12/19/you-wont-be-able-to-buy-codeine-over-the-counter-anymore/

Yeah mate got the memo but it ain't 2018 yet  so you can still buy codeine over the counter.

9 hours ago, tropo said:

With pseudoephedrine, the restriction has nothing to do with "zero self-control" - they use it to make yabba. I'm also not happy I can't get it now, but there's no point getting upset about it. Fortunately, I haven't had a cold for years. Food poisoning is the biggest health risk here.

So you think that by stopping selling cold and flu tablets that organised crime syndicates won't be able to get the precursors to be able to produce meth and yaba? Not working real well in Thailand is it?

8 minutes ago, starky said:

So you think that by stopping selling cold and flu tablets that organised crime syndicates won't be able to get the precursors to be able to produce meth and yaba? You honestly think that most of the yaba and meth in the world is produced by people doctor shopping cold and flu tablets?

Get a grip!

All I said was that yaba is produced from pseudo based cold medication. All the rest you are saying, not me.

25 minutes ago, starky said:

Yeah mate got the memo but it ain't 2018 yet  so you can still buy codeine over the counter.

You cannot however, legally bring it into Thailand without a permit from the FDA Narcotics Divisions, and to get that you do need a doctor's prescription.

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You cannot however, legally bring it into Thailand without a permit from the FDA Narcotics Divisions, and to get that you do need a doctor's prescription.

Thank you but not the point I was making in the post I replied to.

7 hours ago, laislica said:

...If you often get sick when you visit Farangland, could this mean that your immune system is compromised?

Are there loads of toxins in your environment, house cleaning materials, air pollution, bugs, food intollerances etc.

If your immune system is too busy trying to keep you safe from a toxic environment, it maybe overloaded and falls over when it gets hit with the different additional toxins and bugs in Faranglands environment?

No toxins and my immune system is very strong.

I am however completely unable to sleep on planes and it is a 25+ hour trip so I arrive very sleep deprived, which of course does stress the immune system. On several occasions it was clear I got it on the plane as the plane was filled with people with obvious colds sneezing and coughing away. In a confined cabin with recirculated air, this is a perfect recipe for infection.

On other occasions I was exposed to family members who were ill, and having no prior contact with that strain of bug (I haven't lived there for over 30 years!), I caught it.

Immunity is key in the sense of having antibodies. It is why children when they first start school have one respiratry infection after another even the healthiest of children. After a few years, it stops because they've built up there immunity.

13 hours ago, Bonefish said:

Of course iHerb delivers to Thailand. Just got a box full of good stuff. Just be careful to order for US$ 40 or more (free shipping) but less than US$ 80, because then the parcel will be delivered to your home with no additional charges. All you pay is the very low US price, the cheapest in the world. And they have more than 35,000 products to chose from.

The problem I have with iHerb orders is the weight restriction, not the cost. All parcels are restricted to 4 lbs (including packaging). It becomes a problem for heavy weight items - you can't buy more to get further discounts as you can easily go over weight.

14 minutes ago, tropo said:

Get a grip!

All I said was that yaba is produced from pseudo based cold medication. All the rest you are saying, not me.

I'm sweet mate I just don't think that blanket bans achieve anything. Should it be restricted? Sure, but banning does sweet FA.  Hasn't worked real well for Thailand has it. 

5 minutes ago, starky said:

I'm sweet mate I just don't think that blanket bans achieve anything. Should it be restricted? Sure, but banning does sweet FA.  Hasn't worked real well for Thailand has it. 

Don't get me wrong. I miss the easily obtainable pseudo medication here too. I wish they hadn't have banned it but I understand why they had. You probably know what they used to do in Australia - people went around pharmacies all over the country collecting it.

16 hours ago, Rajab Al Zarahni said:

So the moral of the story is that even if you are a qualified nurse it would be most unwise to take non- prescribed antibiotics from your employers pharmacy and indulge in a process of trial and error treatment. Firstly, the treatment might not work, secondly you will probably extend the duration of your infection and thirdly, you will have contributed to the overall problem of antibiotic resistance through your misuse. I wonder if you have also considered that your employer might take a dim view of a nurse dipping into the pharmacy store to treat him/herself.

The moral of the story is quite obvious for those who have the slightest interest in it. For others whos only intention is to get rid of their piss somewhere on the www it might be different though.

The moral of the story is that a long lasting episode of what most people think is flu or cold in Thailand (or elsewhere) actually can be an atypical pneumonia/walking pneumonia - that can be treated with the right anibiotics. 

I could of course have bought any kinds of antibiotics in Thailand as they are sold over the counter en mass everywhere. But I didnt - I travelled home and worked a week with this disease in my body after having had it already 2-3 weeks in Thailand. And it was me that came up with the idea of an atypical pneumonia for my GP as he initially wanted to treat me with general antibiotics. 

17 hours ago, Bonefish said:

I had a friend in Florida (68 yo) who got walking pneumonia. Went to see the hospital and got a prescription for an antibiotic to be taken for one full week. After 2 or 3 days his symptoms disappeared and he stopped taking the antibiotic. A week later he was dead, the bacteria had come back full force and taken over his entire body (sepsis).

It was a tragic end to your friend. Very sorry to hear that.

But that shows us that walking pneumonia/atypical pneumonia should certainly be taken seriously as it can get very serious and give sepsis. Which again very often are deadly unless treated correctly in time.

16 hours ago, laislica said:

Glad you got it sorted.

May I suggest that although the antibiotic killed off the bacteria causing the infection, it also killed off many other "good" bacteria that your body needs for optimal health.

So after a course of antibiotics it may be important to rebuild the good bacteria in your gut.

Google can help you learn how to do this.

Here is some info that I have gathered from the internet and I pass it on to give you a start.....

How does it work - An apple a day keeps the doctor away and Chicken Soup? 

The key to best health is the diversity of your microbiome, and the diversity of your good bacteria, unfortunately, antibiotics kill them all but you cannot live without the good ones!

Overview:

After taking Antibiotics: or How to avoid Colon Cancer!

1)     AVOID INFLAMMATORY FOODS.

2)     REBUILD GOOD BACTERIA by eating:

a)     Apple sauce with raisins and turmeric;

B)    Chicken bone broth with turmeric;

c)     Vegetables and

d)    Fermented vegetables. (See below for details)

Did you try natural antibiotics such as Garlic, Colloidal silver, Oil of Oregano, Echinacea and Manuka Honey, the natural antibiotics are usually not as strong and take longer to work.

(Garlic and Turmeric could be part of your regular diet.)

(Turmeric: natural Anti-inflammatory – as good as or better than many Pharmaceutical drugs)

1)            AVOID INFLAMMATORY FOODS
particularly wheat, dairy, sugar and fried food for at least 10 days to a month. Even though you may feel better after 10 days it takes much longer to fully rebuild your immune system. Remember that 70% of your immune system is totally reliant on this good balance of bacteria.

There are studies showing young children under five, taking antibiotics has an impact on the level of their overall health as they get older. Rebuilding good bacteria avoids children getting asthma or recurring ear infections et cetera. The more antibiotics they have early in life, the more vulnerable they are to illness later on.

2)      BUILD UP THE GOOD BACTERIA.

a)         Apple sauce.

Take four apples and wash them, do not peel them – the pectin is just under the skin.

Dice them into half inch pieces and put them into a saucepan, add a handful of raisins and plenty of cinnamon. Add a little water up to about one third of the apples.

Turn on the heat and simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.
When the skins start to get a little shine on them, they are ready to be eaten. The shine is actually the pectin, the cooking has released it and made it instantly available for the good bacteria to feed on and then they are able to help to heal your gut very quickly.

Uncooked, apples are hard to digest and you would not get the full benefit from them quickly.

I recommend that you eat about 6 to 10 spoonfuls of this applesauce twice a day for a week and then maybe once every few days for the rest of the month to help to properly heal a leaky gut.

(I always heard that apple a day keeps the doctor away and now I know why.)

(Now learn why Grandma always made chicken soup for sick people)

B)      Chicken Bone Broth with Turmeric.

The collagen in chicken bone broth acts as a natural prebiotic, meaning it feeds the good bacteria and helps seal a leaky gut which was damaged by the antibiotic.

Without the good bacteria the lining of the gut allows larger molecules to pass into the bloodstream which attach themselves to organ cells like the Brain, Heart, Liver etc. and your autoimmune system sets up antibodies to attack and kill these unwanted macro molecules but in the process, they kill organ cells as well, this is where autoimmune diseases come from.

Turmeric is probably the most potent of all natural anti-inflammatories, and tastes great!

c)       Vegetables. (Organic and non-GMO if possible, if not use what you can get).

There is a substance made in your gut called butyrate or butyric acid.

Your whole body is renewed every seven years some cells are replaced very quickly, like the lining of your gut, it only takes 3 to 7 days for the gut to be completely replaced. 
The fuel to build the new gut cells is butyrate, or butyric acid and if your body does not make enough, you are more vulnerable to COLON CANCER.

There are two categories of vegetable fibre, soluble and insoluble and it is the insoluble fibre that the good bacteria use to make the butyrate. You need to eat a lot of vegetables.

Prebiotic's, such as the root vegetables, sweet potatoes, turnips, parsnips, beets, artichoke hearts, carrots, bananas et cetera.

Mixed vegetables are sautéed in a little coconut oil or olive oil with garlic and eaten with every meal.

You could add green leafy vegetables like the cruciferous family which are very anti-carcinogenic.

You can add any and all vegetables, the more the better.

If some of the vegetables taste a little bitter the cure is to have a mixture of many vegetables and add some turmeric, you will not taste the bitterness and you will also help to reduce inflammation.

d)      Fermented Vegetables.

They must not be pasteurised, because this kills bacteria and you need the bacteria. That's why you're buying fermented vegetables! (I was angry that Lidl Sauerkraut was pasteurised!)

Eat as many different kinds of fermented vegetables as possible, because they all have different families of good bacteria. If you can, buy five or more different kinds to keep in the fridge, you can eat just a fork full of any of those vegetables randomly during the day.

If you just take a supplement that has Lactobacillus acidophilus, while that is not bad, we now know that it is diversity that you need because they all interplay to form your army.

You cannot just have all privates in the army, there must be some sergeants to organise the privates.

There have to be lieutenants to coordinate sergeants and so on.

That's what the different families of bacteria do, that's why you need the variety and the diversity of bacteria.

Together, they keep the bad bacteria in check!

Background:

Antibiotics, what they do and what can we do about what they do.

The key to optimal health is the diversity of your microbiome, and the diversity of your good bacteria.

Humans are a collection of cells, for each of your own body cells there will be 10 bacteria cells.

Many of the nutrients that your body needs are created by the various bacteria in your gut.

Without good bacteria you will become sick and die.

There will always be some bad bacteria present but as long as there are sufficient numbers of the good bacteria the bad colonies will be restricted in size and in the damage they can do.

Encouraging good bacteria and controlling bad bacteria is done by the foods you choose to eat and drink.

Many foods do the opposite of what is good for optimal health, they encourage the bad and restrict the good and damage your hormones and gene expression.

Probiotic is a technical name for the good bacteria.

Prebiotic's are the foods that encourage the growth of the good bacteria.

Antibiotics kill bacteria, that is their job.

Sometimes you need an antibiotic and although we should try to use more natural antibiotics such as Garlic, Colloidal silver, Oil Of Oregano, Echinacea and Manuka Honey, the natural antibiotics are usually not as strong and take longer to work.

When you use pharmaceutical antibiotics, they make a dramatic impact to your overall health.

By killing all the bacteria, bad and good, you have hopefully cured your illness.

Unfortunately most pharmaceutical antibiotics are not selective and “nuke” both good and bad bacteria.

Now you must really pay attention to the recolonisation of your gut with good bacteria as quickly as possible.

There are long-term studies, that show that, six months to a year or even two years later, the microbiome had not returned to a healthy balance of bacteria.

Your good bacteria is the main protection against every assault by bad bacteria.

Each assault is screened by the good bacteria, so a strong army should be there to protect you.

You are what you eat!

If you are gluten sensitive you must avoid all products containing wheat forever!

Do not be tempted to eat even a tiny portion, like Birthday Cake!

Just a tiny amount is all that is needed to re awaken your immune system and stimulate any immune diseases that you have been trying so hard for so long to get rid of!

All things in moderation is total BS in this case!

Do some research also on Vitamin C and Vitamin D3!

There is a lot more that I could tell you but I am trying to keep it simple and I honestly believe that it is better that anyone interested in this, find out for themselves.

There are too many fad diets about.....

Well - you are certainly right about what kind of foods to eat and what not to eat. Theres way too much sugar and fat and easy absorbable carbs etc in many peoples diet. 

And its right that antibiotics also kills "good" bacterias in your bodies, especially in our stomach/gastrointestinal tract - thats why many persons taking antibiotics get diarrhea. But in most cases good bacterias will come back after one stop using antibiotics, so its not that bad.

I still prefer to use antibiotics when actually having a real infection that threatens my health. 

But if one can avoid the use of antibiotics thats the best of course. 

The last time I had this I was actually in Indonesia and after being ill for around  9-10 days I got this antibiotics and I responded immediately to them. So thats my choice after all. 

it's not temperature that spreads diseases like the cold - it is humidity and proximity of carriers.

"touching the skin of someone who has the infected droplets on their skin and then touching your mouth, nose or eyes. inhaling tiny droplets of fluid that contain the cold virus – these are launched into the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes." - NHS - UK

Hand/eye/mouth contact....keep your hands clean.

Are they worse in the tropics?

might be a virus you're not used to

but more likely you are just getting old!

PS - all that stuff about food - nonsense!

PPS - Cold is a virus (200 or more!) and cannot be treated with antibiotics - anyone who thinks so is 100% WRONG

6 hours ago, Alan Deer said:

PPS - Cold is a virus (200 or more!) and cannot be treated with antibiotics - anyone who thinks so is 100% WRONG

I don't think anyone was claiming that antibiotics treat a cold. Antibiotics are only indicated in the case of secondary bacterial infections.

2 hours ago, tropo said:

I don't think anyone was claiming that antibiotics treat a cold. Antibiotics are only indicated in the case of secondary bacterial infections.

Or in case of a wrong diagnosis of the original problem - perhaps it is not a common cold or viral flu in the first place, but a bacterial infection such as walking pneumonia or bacterial sinusitis. In those cases a treatment by antibiotics is mandatory. It is always a good idea to see a competent doctor and get a valid diagnosis, before getting carried away by self-treatment ideas or internet-based treatments. Better be safe than dead :)

40 minutes ago, Bonefish said:

Or in case of a wrong diagnosis of the original problem - perhaps it is not a common cold or viral flu in the first place, but a bacterial infection such as walking pneumonia or bacterial sinusitis. In those cases a treatment by antibiotics is mandatory. It is always a good idea to see a competent doctor and get a valid diagnosis, before getting carried away by self-treatment ideas or internet-based treatments. Better be safe than dead :)

I'm not crazy about rushing down to doctors whenever I get a sniffle or sore throat, and "competent doctor" is a tricky call in Thailand. Normally you'll walk out from any doctor's visit with a basket full of drugs anyway, whether it's a sniffle or something more serious.

My first course of action is symptom-relieving medication only.

On 2/19/2017 at 2:40 PM, Sheryl said:

Different viral strains mean that you initially have no or less immunity thatn the locals. It is usual whenever one moves to a different region of the world to suffer a lot from colds in the  first few years. Same thing happens to Thais when they go to the west.

I had this problem for mayeb the first 5 years or so  living here but no longer, it does ease up for long-timers, but that easing is achieved the hard way. through antibodies formed each time you get sick.

Knock on wood, I normally get less than one cold every 2-3 years here. BUT the reverse process has occurred; now that I have spend decades in this part of the world, I no longer have up to date immunity to the bugs in the West and often get sick when i go back to farangland.:laugh:

Can't say I ever had problems with colds since I got here. Rarely get them as compared to the US.  But!  I did have the 'trots' for about 2 years as my gut got use to the local bacteria in the water and elsewhere.  Guess when you live in a culture where everything needs to be super-sanitized you don't build much immunity to bacteria that third-world and developing countries take for granted.  Glad colds don't effect me here though!  :smile:

Archived