Second hand Ford fiesta - would you buy

BaldPlumber

I was interested in buying a used fiesta, but on doing a little research I see that there have been problems with the powershift system globally.

My little bit of digging around also revealed quite a lot of dissatisfaction with Ford service agents in Thailand.

Can someone who knows bring me up to speed on this?

I'm not being lazy, I would just like to hear of people's experiences here.

And lastly, would you buy a used Ford with this transmission system fitted?

Many thanks

This Topic, just a few before yours, probably covers just about all you want to know ... 

Of course age and price also need taking into consideration.  If you know the VIN number then input it into http://www.etis.ford.com/ and it might give you a little information.

We have an EcoBoost ... built Dec 2013 and we bought it new June 2015! did get 100Kthb off it.

To date 15000kms, have only had updated software in the TCM and the water pump changed ... water pumps do fail on it, think a supply problem and the seal leaks slightly. It used a little bit of water and I complained so they changed the pump and all is okay now. The  pumps which are supplied now are supposed to be okay.

If it has PPP (look up what it is) could be a good move. Or you could buy it if less than three years old if you are concerned.

If you have to pay ... clutch about 12000thb and TCM about 20000thb but warranty is 5Y and 10Y respectively so I understand.

Great little car on a run, a little jerky in stop/go situation.

You do realise that it is not an automatic in the conventional sense. 

1 hour ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Avoid Ford all models like the plague.

So you have taken over as chief 'Ford Hater' from MTM then. It must go back a long way ... not the regs thing....:smile: 

Edited by JAS21

OK

I have just had a look at a fiesta that I am interested in and am a little confused.

Firstly, the car is in great condition, unmarked, genuine low mileage, service record intact, insurance document showing 40% NCB.

But, here's the bit that is puzzling me. I was expecting a 120PS engine with a powershift system, cruise control etc. The transmission is a conventional auto system, no CC and the engine is 110PS.

Here is the summary of the car

fiesta.png

7 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I use the rear fog light switch from a Mk 4 Fiesta for the air horns on my Ranger.

Works great!

Nevermind the switch ...where did you get the air horns from ... personally I would like to fit same as the busses have as those would encourage all to give way ... unfortunately Mrs J won't allow...

14 hours ago, BaldPlumber said:

Thanks all

I think the 1.0 turbo fiesta is out of production now. I don't think may were sold - Thais don't like to pay a premium for a 1.0 engine ford. I'd be inclined to go for a mazda 2.

There are some 1.0 turbos here:

http://www.one2car.com/ford/fiesta/all/titanium/

Edited by DavisH

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Nevermind the switch ...where did you get the air horns from ... personally I would like to fit same as the busses have as those would encourage all to give way ... unfortunately Mrs J won't allow...

There's a couple of shop houses on Highway 36 just before the railroad track as you head towards Highway 3 that have sets of truck and bus air horns. Unfortunately, one would need a big compressor (or a precharged gas bottle like several songtaews have) to make those work properly.

Otherwise, these are available on eBay and amazon and what I have fitted. About US$120.

ah1.jpg

ah2.jpg

4 hours ago, MINIMIGLIA said:

Petticoat government, how pathetic, grow some balls, most accessory shops sell good air horns, I have Fiamme on my rides, work real good with the pesky little buzz box bikes.

MM that cuts deep ... At my age I wish they would stop shrinking and grow.

I have often wished for air horns or similar. BUT I would feel so bad if the shock caused someone to have an accident, even a stupid bike rider.  Remember they are some ones father, mother. son. daughter, brother, sister ... one of many cousins ......   etc etc 

I bought a fiesta as new and sold it after 2.5 years for a good price and bought the new Ford Everest. The fiesta was a great little car, never had problems with it and i still miss it. I also do not believe the transmission is a problem. It seems that many owners of Fiesta do not know how to operate a dual clutch transmission..they bought the car expecting a conventional automatic transmission or a cvt..

I've owned 2 fiestas...I liked them so much...they are amazingly cheap to operate and maintain...surprisingly roomy and agile...but with the driving habits here in Thailand, I would opt for a more substantial car, if possible...any accident and you are toast...

19 hours ago, bizader said:

I bought a fiesta as new and sold it after 2.5 years for a good price and bought the new Ford Everest. The fiesta was a great little car, never had problems with it and i still miss it. I also do not believe the transmission is a problem. It seems that many owners of Fiesta do not know how to operate a dual clutch transmission..they bought the car expecting a conventional automatic transmission or a cvt..

I'm totally agree with you as I have been driving my 1.5 fiesta for about three years driving from Chiangmai to Bangkok ( speed at 90 to 120 km per hour ) and it works fine to me. Nothing wrong with the DCT, just need to add some wire to the engine and it run perfectly. Paying just 500 bath 555, cheers!

If anyone there need help on the installation for the wire can please PM me and I would like to share to you guys for free.

Edited by Anthony Loh

20 hours ago, bizader said:

Have you ever driven one of these faulty transmission cars? or are you working on the assumption that your car is ok so that means everyone else's car must be ok ?

Perhaps you could enlighten everyone on how to operate a dual clutch transmission.

Edited by alfieconn