What happens if you show up with a new passport at your bank?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I changed passports without updating the bank and last time I lost my debit card I had to go to the branch I opened the account as the local one would not give me a replacement as mypassport number did not match.

Was a huge pain in the ass as it was a Saturday morning in Pattaya and my branch was in BKK.

I opened a new account instead !!

30 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

I changed passports without updating the bank and last time I lost my debit card I had to go to the branch I opened the account as the local one would not give me a replacement as mypassport number did not match.

Was a huge pain in the ass as it was a Saturday morning in Pattaya and my branch was in BKK.

I opened a new account instead !!

Thanks for the info.

I could fall into the same trap as most of my accounts were originally opened in another province also.

Any one else have any info?

Only have one Thai bank account, when my passport was renewed l never had a problem when my atm card needed replacement or getting new bank books, maybe some banks make a fuss of it which wouldn't surprise me.

Really best to go and check it out for yourself IMO. :thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Only have one Thai bank account, when my passport was renewed l never had a problem when my atm card needed replacement or getting new bank books, maybe some banks make a fuss of it which wouldn't surprise me.

If it were that simple.  I have 11 accounts spread across four banks.  And then there are my brokerage accounts.

13 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Did you get new cards/book out of province ?

35 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't know of that bank I got them from the Bkk Bk bank. :biggrin:

Ok so you  got replacement card/book from a branch that was not your home branch with incorrect passport details.

Rather sloppy security by BKK Bank.

Just went through this as well.  Actually went to  close my BKK acct and they would not let me because my passport had changed. Sadly my other one was in the US so all I can do is take it down to 1bht and leave it open until I return with my old one. They informed me that all banks require that you update them of your new passport but you must bring the expired one for verification. I just opened an SCB acct and I asked about their requirements . They required the same even though I have a work permit that has not changed.

1 minute ago, JAFO said:

Just went through this as well.  Actually went to  close my BKK acct and they would not let me because my passport had changed. Sadly my other one was in the US so all I can do is take it down to 1bht and leave it open until I return with my old one. They informed me that all banks require that you update them of your new passport but you must bring the expired one for verification. I just opened an SCB acct and I asked about their requirements . They required the same even though I have a work permit that has not changed.

Interesting, when I updated my passport number I did not have the old passport, it was straight forward but I had to do it at my home branch which I eventually did about  6 months later.

12 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Interesting, when I updated my passport number I did not have the old passport, it was straight forward but I had to do it at my home branch which I eventually did about  6 months later.

And to your point DM it's always best to go to the branch you opened the acct which can be problematic if you are hours away, in my case 10.

4 minutes ago, JAFO said:

And to your point DM it's always best to go to the branch you opened the acct which can be problematic if you are hours away, in my case 10.

lol. That why I opened a new account instead of a round trip to BKK.

I eventually did go an update passport but never bothered getting a new card, that account is the one my salary goes into and I just transfer what I need to the newer account when I need to pull some  cash from the ATM.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

lol. That why I opened a new account instead of a round trip to BKK.

I eventually did go an update passport but never bothered getting a new card, that account is the one my salary goes into and I just transfer what I need to the newer account when I need to pull some  cash from the ATM.

Yeah. I use BKK for US wire activities and SCB is where my payroll goes. Actually again, I was prompted to go my "Nearest" BKK bank to get the new ATM card because my current one didn't have the chip, that's what started the entire deal. I couldn't get a new card where I am now, I would have to go to where I opened the acct (Pink Lao in BKK). This prompted me to close it figuring to much headache and they wouldn't  let me because I didn't have the old Passport. LOL. I was going in circles. So I just took all the cash out at the counter down to 12 baht I think and walked over and opened my SCB acct. 

I recently read on another thread that older accounts could be closed automatically.  I was worried because i have a very old account with KTB that has circa 10K in it.  I visited a local branch the other day (not the branch that it was opened at) and the manager told me no worries.

Has anyone had an account closed automatically by a bank.  And what were the circumstances?

Just now, Bulldozer Dawn said:

I recently read on another thread that older accounts could be closed automatically.  I was worried because i have a very old account with KTB that has circa 10K in it.  I visited a local branch the other day (not the branch that it was opened at) and the manager told me no worries.

Has anyone had an account closed automatically by a bank.  And what were the circumstances?

Why my employer swapped banks  from UOB to Kasikorn that rendered my UOB account useless to me. After about 5 years of it being dormant they sent an email saying it was closed.

There was no money in the account.

Just now, agudbuk said:

With Krungthai bank took about 20 minutes at my new local branch to transfer my account originally registered at a Bangkok branch.

Sent from my Grand using Tapatalk

You did this with a passport that was not registered to the account ?

Archived