What happens if you show up with a new passport at your bank?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Ok so you  got replacement card/book from a branch that was not your home branch with incorrect passport details.

Rather sloppy security by BKK Bank.

Why so serious,  of course not it's my home branch bank ever since l've lived here. 

OP obviously not retired so why the many different banks a/c's maybe because of jobs in Thailand.

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Why so serious,  of course not it's my home branch bank ever since l've lived here. 

OP obviously not retired so why the many different banks a/c's maybe because of jobs in Thailand.

Just looking for clarity, I dont care how many bank accounts the OP as.

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 11:28 AM, CharlieH said:

I also renewed my passport and had to take old and new passport into the bank for them to update their record. (Kasikorn)

Same for me , even one time they called me they noticed passport date expiered to come to update (.Kasikorn )

I opened an account originally in 2009 and would go through a passport every 14 months.

Tried to get a new debit card on a trip to Thailand in 2015, Could not do... They would let me use my new passport and my bank book but that was it.

Went back in 2016 and they needed to see every passport I had since 2009. They copied them and issued me a new card,

On 20/02/2017 at 11:30 AM, longball53098 said:

It is my understanding that when you get a new passport you should update all accounts at your bank to reflect the new passport numbers.

I agree with you, When I get a new passport I go to my banks to update the information. ( Krungsri and  Kasikorm and Bangkok Bank )

Some bank update all the account in their system, some banks, I have to visit each branches.

If you do not update you may have problems later....

On 2/20/2017 at 11:37 AM, Kwasaki said:

maybe some banks make a fuss of it which wouldn't surprise me.

I would hope for security reasons that they would make a fuss.

If you make a counter withdrawal they check that your passport number on file corresponds to the one you present (which is why they hold the passbook under the ultraviolet light or whatever it is to check PP #) as well as when you get a new passbook or ATM card ... at least at my branch of Bangkok Bank. Simply presenting a passport with the same name but different number from the one on file ought to raise some red flags.

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, Don Mega said:

Good to hear, I might change banks then to ovoid any hassles.

Personal experience within the last 12 months:

Bangkok Bank. I updated the passport information on an old account at a different branch, without having the old passport with me, just the new one. They filled in a form after spending a while on the phone to their corporate help desk (I assume), and it came into affect after a few days, so they told me.

KrungThai bank. I updated the passport information without having the old passport with me. However, this was done at the branch where the account was opened.

Hope that helps a bit.

On 2/19/2017 at 11:48 PM, Ace of Pop said:

I bet that's Bangkok Bank .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Went in to Bangkok Bank last year to upgrade my Debit/ATM card to the new "chip" card. It was supposed to be free if done before a particular date and I wanted to avoid the fee. When my current passport # didn't match with the old info, the lady informed me they would have to cancel my old bank book and issue a new one. Then she would issue my new "chip" card. What I foolishly thought would be a simple, free 10 minute transaction, ended up being 45 minutes, literally signing a dozen+ forms and paying ß300...ß200 for the new card and an additional ß100 for ??? something else. :bah:

On 2/20/2017 at 11:16 AM, Bulldozer Dawn said:

Thanks for the info.

I could fall into the same trap as most of my accounts were originally opened in another province also.

Any one else have any info?

The banks seem to know when your passport has expired. Suddenly I was unable to use my mobile phone SMS confirmation when I made an Internet banking transaction . Had to go to the bank with my new passport.

On 20/02/2017 at 0:34 PM, Don Mega said:

Ok so you  got replacement card/book from a branch that was not your home branch with incorrect passport details.

Rather sloppy security by BKK Bank.

And what if you have lost your passport or had it stolen?

SCB let me change my passport because I told them the old one expired and I destroyed it, she fill ed out  very long form and I had to sign my name to a blank piece of paper about ten times - they didn't like my signature, but it was done in about 30 mins - then they gave me a new debit card for 150 baht........dropped the signature paper and old debit card in the shredder behind her.  Quite professional..........not at all like some of the posters I have read on bank episodes on this forum.  I am sticking with SCB for savings......been with them for 15 years.  Also have a BKK Bank just for deposits from the US for spending money  (no muss, no fuss, no charges)

New Passport - Advise/Amend the following;

Bank, Hospital (if registered), Driving Licence(s), Vehicle Registrations, Lawyer, Insurance Broker, Juristic Office (if owner or renting) and Tax Office.

Also change any proxies that you may have given/issued. i.e. for Thai partner to represent you at Condo AGM's.

1 hour ago, hawker9000 said:

What happens if your passport was stolen rather than just expired?   There'll be no "expired" passport to show them.  Would they be content with the police report documenting the theft of the old one?

There is nothing to show anywhere, except your new passport.

People who say something different are just people who understand bank staff as much as they understand their wife.

I am with the Bangkok Bank and you definitely need to advise the branch where the account is held of the new passport number

Also if you hold a credit card you will need to call that division of the bank as well unfortunately as with many things in Thailand one section does not appear to talk with the othet

Went in to Bangkok Bank last year to upgrade my Debit/ATM card to the new "chip" card. It was supposed to be free if done before a particular date and I wanted to avoid the fee. When my current passport # didn't match with the old info, the lady informed me they would have to cancel my old bank book and issue a new one. Then she would issue my new "chip" card. What I foolishly thought would be a simple, free 10 minute transaction, ended up being 45 minutes, literally signing a dozen+ forms and paying ß300...ß200 for the new card and an additional ß100 for ??? something else. :bah:

So did I ,and wasn't amused.[emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 1:39 PM, Bulldozer Dawn said:

I recently read on another thread that older accounts could be closed automatically.  I was worried because i have a very old account with KTB that has circa 10K in it.  I visited a local branch the other day (not the branch that it was opened at) and the manager told me no worries.

Has anyone had an account closed automatically by a bank.  And what were the circumstances?

Yes, they will close them automatically without informing you after a certain time. To reopen them you have to deposit a nominal sum, say B100, and then you can either continue to use the account or close it and withdraw all the cash.

On 2/20/2017 at 1:39 PM, Bulldozer Dawn said:

I recently read on another thread that older accounts could be closed automatically.  I was worried because i have a very old account with KTB that has circa 10K in it.  I visited a local branch the other day (not the branch that it was opened at) and the manager told me no worries.

Has anyone had an account closed automatically by a bank.  And what were the circumstances?

No worry if you have money keep in your bank account at lease 2,100 baht they will not close your account. My mother have KTB account for more than 10 years for amount of 6,000 baht.

4 hours ago, Estrada said:

Yes, they will close them automatically without informing you after a certain time. To reopen them you have to deposit a nominal sum, say B100, and then you can either continue to use the account or close it and withdraw all the cash.

May I ask you if that accout have money left below 2,100 baht for certain time.

Archived