Selling a vehicle in Chiang Mai - what's the process for seller

caramba77

Hi,

what is required for a farang seller of a car/scooter to allow smooth paper transfer of a vehicle to the buyer?

Does the seller also need to produce work permit or similar (same as buyer)? And if so is a photocopy usually good enough?

And I guess the seller has to come along with the buyer to the transport department?

Anything else to be aware of to make that process as pain free and smooth as possible?

Thanks!

From my notes ( again)

Foreigner seller needs to supply
certificate of residence from immigration ( should be free at immigration but varies from place to place )
For foreign seller, instead of certificate of residence also work permit or yellow housebook is accepted.
if foreign seller has left Thailand then a signed copy of the exit from Thailand stamp in their passport instead of residence certificate and valid visa stamp.
(Certificate of residence not required in all provinces ?    / DLT's Pattaya requires it )
sometimes the police station will give you this document too.
copy passport photo page
copy of visa page and or extension  ( not expired )
signed  " nungsue moub umnart "  หนังสือมอบอำนาจ ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
signed  "beb  kum kor own le rup own "  แบบคำขอโอนและรับโอน    ขส.บ. ท. - 11 ( if seller is not going with you to DLT )
green/blue book signed by current owner

The seller doesn't have to go to the transport department if you give the buyer a "signed power of attorney form"

and all the other documents signed.

the vehicle has to go for inspection to the DLT (transport department)  the tax and compulsory insurance have to be up to date before they will do the transfer ( some disagreement about that though )

Haven't been able to get a straight answer from anyone on here as to whether Chaingmai requires a certificate of residence from a  foreign seller or not.

write a receipt and keep a copy for the sale of vehicle  in case the new owner doesn't register it in their name..you could get their speeding tickets.

So list of provinces where residence certificate is required ( from foreign seller ) so far is
Chonburi/Pattaya  yes
Nakhornratchasima/Korat  yes
Khon Kaen  ??
Buriram for sure yes
Chiang Mai ?
BKK ?

documents enclosed in the rar file

Vehicle transfer.rar

If the vehicle has a number plate from another province  then you ( the new buyer not the seller )

must either  change the  ownership name in that province

or goto the MAIN DLT for your province and have them " move" the vehicle to your province  this requires a new number plate and 2 or more trips

before the whole process of name change and province change is completed.

This is great. Very helpful, JohnG, and apologies for not having seen your post elsewhere.

Any experience on whether a signed photocopy of work permit may suffice as seller? I assume this is up to the discretion of the staff at the DLT but may there's some experience here on this?

5 minutes ago, caramba77 said:

and apologies for not having seen your post elsewhere.

no problem I've made many posts about it all over the Thaivisa forums..one day someone will gather it all together in a fully comprehensive thread and make it a sticky at the top of the motoring forum ( or the DLT will drag itself into the 21st century and make vehicle transfer easy on-line process don't know which will happen first )

I would take originals of as many documents as possible  in case they want to see them..they will definitely require signed copies.

11 minutes ago, stuurman said:

the seller doesn't need to show a residence certificate to do the transfer.

In direct contradiction to the earlier poster....

7 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

You will have to show a Certificate of Residence or a yellow book, passport copies and relevant documents for the car.

So the jury's still out ...do you or don't you ?  

7 hours ago, johng said:

are you 100% sure for Chaingmai  ?  if so I'll add that to my list.

I had to have it when I sold my first car here. In fact, I didn't have it when I went to the motor vehicle branch with the buyer, I left my wife there with her and zipped down to immigration to get one. That is about 6 years ago though. I should add that I'm on a retirement visa not a work permit.

Edited by ramrod711

On 22/02/2017 at 9:34 AM, caramba77 said:

No one with experience selling a car or scooter in Chiang Mai?

I sold my nice near-new Suzuki through Thai Expat autos in Chiang Mai.    Totally reliable, efficient.

Did car transfer in CM 2 weeks ago. Seller needs passport, copy of visa page etc and blue book. That's it. Absolutely no cert residence needed if you do in person. Buyer only needs cert of residence if not Thai. Hope that helps. 

I agree with Scotcm above .

Im based in Phuket and my tgf buys scooters regularly from farang ( foreigners) and I do so occasionally as well.

A certificate of residence is NOT needed for the seller. ( It will be for most farang buyers who want the vehicle in their name however.)

The seller needs to show their passport , and make signed copies of their Passport ID page , their Visa Stamp , their arrival stamp and departure card .... these together "prove" that the seller was legally in the country  .

(Its my belief that changes to the Laws in 2015 make it impossible to sell your vehicle if your are not 'in-country' )

Also needed is the legal "Bill of Sale" form for all sales  and the "Power of Attorney" form  , for if the seller is not accompanying the buyer to the Motor Registry. These forma are available at the Registry  and stationery shops and you should ask where the seller is  required to sign them.

When we buy , the seller usually just signs in the correct spot , and the Thai gf , or Registry  staff complete the rest ( "tip" given ) .

The requirement for a seller to provide proof of residence is random, I think they seem to apply it more to high value big bikes, or vehicles changing province, etc but hard to be sure. 

I both needed one (was a huge issue, seller from bangkok had already left the country.. Luckily he was a mate and came back for a visit months later) and then only weeks after that didnt need one. 

Its totally mood / day / officer dependent. 

On 2/22/2017 at 3:49 PM, johng said:

So maybe they changed the rule in Chaingmai   can anyone else who sold a car or bike recently   confirm or deny. ?

I have just sold my bike in Chiangmai last week with my passport and yellow house book.

21 minutes ago, Anthony Loh said:

I have just sold my bike in Chiangmai last week with my passport and yellow house book.

The detail needed though was... Did they 'demand' the yellow house book ?? Thats whats intermittent, the need for a seller to prove residence. 

Residence can be proved one of 4 ways.. Yellow house book, work permit, letter from embassy, or slip from immigration. 

Has anyone successfully used the pink 'farang ID' card as a residence proof ?? 

I sold my car recently , I did sign POA and gave the buyer all the documents , certificate residence and passport copies/driving license.

No big deal , they just moved the car to their province and applied for the transfer at the main office 

13 hours ago, balo said:

I sold my car recently , I did sign POA and gave the buyer all the documents , certificate residence and passport copies/driving license.

No big deal , they just moved the car to their province and applied for the transfer at the main office 

You hope