Anti-Trump rallies crop up again on 'Not My President's Day'

webfact

Anti-Trump rallies crop up again on 'Not My President's Day'

By Chris Francescani and Robert Chiarito

REUTERS

r7.jpg

People denounce policies of U.S. President Donald Trump on Presidents Day at the Not My President's Day Rally in Los Angeles, California February 20, 2017. REUTERS/David McNew

NEW YORK/CHICAGO (Reuters) - Renewed protests against U.S. President Donald Trump flared on the Presidents Day holiday on Monday, with grassroots activists vowing to take to the streets in dozens of cities in "Not My President's Day" rallies.

Protest leaders had said they expected thousands to rally in about 28 cities ranging from Los Angeles and Chicago to Grand Rapids, Michigan, in the latest round of demonstrations to express displeasure with Trump's policies and pronouncements.

In New York, hundreds of protesters stretching at least eight blocks chanted "He cheats, he lies, open up your eyes" near the Trump International Hotel on the edge of Central Park.

"I think he's got a mean personality," said marcher Edith Cresmer, a 78-year-old urban planner. "But the worst thing about him is how he incited peoples' fears and pits them against each other."

Luis Llobera, 38, and his wife and baby took a train from Westchester County north of the city attend the Trump protest.

"We are not American citizens but our son is," he said as his wife cradled their 7-month-old, Atlas. "We want to make sure our son has a government that is right and good."

Organizers of the New York rally said they opposed the Trump agenda, including proposed cuts in federal spending and construction of a wall along the border with Mexico.

"Donald Trump is literally our president, but figuratively, he has attacked every value New Yorkers embody and does not represent our interests," organizers said on Facebook.

The idea for the Presidents Day protests originated in Los Angeles, where about 4,300 people had said on Facebook they would attend a City Hall rally, according to organizers, and it spread to other locales via social media.

In downtown Chicago, about 1,200 people gathered across the Chicago River from the Trump International Hotel and Tower. Signs spotted in the crowd included “My body My Choice” and “Jesus was a refugee,” references to Trump's anti-abortion stance and his efforts to stop admission of refugees.

As people gathered, a group of 25 local musicians called themselves #SAHBRA, “Sousaphones Against Hate, Baritones Resisting Aggression,” played songs to lighten the mood.

With Monday being a day off for many schools, many parents brought their children to the protest.

Eileen Molony, a photographer from Oak Park, had her 12-year-old son and 9-year old daughter in tow.

“As an immigrant family we feel strongly against the ban," she said. "We feel America is about inclusion, but everything Trump has shown is that he’s about division."

Chicago police reported no arrests in the protest, the latest in a series since Trump's Jan. 20 inauguration.

Recent anti-Trump protests have included a "general strike" on Friday, a day after thousands of immigrants across the United States stayed away from work and school to highlight the contributions of foreign-born residents to the U.S. economy.

On Saturday, Trump staged a rally for supporters in Florida at a Melbourne aircraft hangar to attack the media and tout his accomplishments in office.

Presidents Day is the unofficial name of the holiday honoring the birthdays of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, the first and 16th U.S. presidents, respectively.

(Additional reporting by Ian Simpson in Washington; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-21

"On Saturday, Trump staged a rally for supporters in Florida at a Melbourne aircraft hangar to attack the media and tout his accomplishments in office. "

Sounding like a sad old man already having to surround himself  with the faithful. 

Don't these people ever work? The 'NotMyPresident' placard held up by an immigrant? You could always go home to the place where your president resides, duck. Anybody would think Trump was throwing every foreigner out the way these types are carrying on. Don't see the issue with wanting to keep out illegals. Most countries do it unless you happen to be from somewhere like Germany, hoping to atone for past indiscretions, and even then I hear they are deporting those without the correct paperwork. Alright, the bloke's a bit of a tool and usually says the wrong things, but this witch-hunt by the snowflake fraternity is equally sad. 

17 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Don't these people ever work? The 'NotMyPresident' placard held up by an immigrant? You could always go home to the place where your president resides, duck. Anybody would think Trump was throwing every foreigner out the way these types are carrying on. Don't see the issue with wanting to keep out illegals. Most countries do it unless you happen to be from somewhere like Germany, hoping to atone for past indiscretions, and even then I hear they are deporting those without the correct paperwork. Alright, the bloke's a bit of a tool and usually says the wrong things, but this witch-hunt by the snowflake fraternity is equally sad. 

First, it's a national holiday.  So most are not working.  Second, America is made up of immigrants.  America welcomes legitimate immigrants with open arms.  My Mother's side of the family immigrated from Europe.  Trump is using this to rally narrow minded people that immigrants are the cause of all sorts of problems, which is not 100% true.

Enough with the snowflake reference. It is derogatory.

31 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

No, they are probably just working the same as the people that show up at Trump rallies.   

Maybe they take vacations as often as Trump, which seems to be pretty frequently.   

Edited by Credo

2 minutes ago, Grouse said:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/02/daily-chart-14

This explains very elegantly the rise of Trump. It will be interesting to see if Trumpenomics has the effect these people hope for! I shan't hold my breath....

Good charts.  I suspect that if they charted the lack of progress of all people without higher education or technical skills it would follow the same path as "White working-class men".

Technology is eliminating the need for workers doing simple, repetitive tasks.  Trump is not going to change that.  Scapegoating immigrants and trade deals is politically popular but won't bring back high-paying unskilled and semi-skilled jobs.

Unfortunately people will always rally around demigods promising quick fixes and easy answers, and Trump knows this.  Or perhaps he's actually dumb enough to believe the nonsense he's preaching.

I am a 71 year old US citizen.

I spent 5 years in Vietnam in the US  Army in Vietnam.

I lost  my  Vietnamese wife and adopted Vietnamese daughter in April 1975 when the Communists took over Saigon.

I am very much a supporter of the NOT MY PRESIDENT movement.

I  personally feel he was a coward and a deaf dodger who sold out his country for money his father gave him.

Yes

NOT MY PRESIDENT.

4 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

First, it's a national holiday.  So most are not working.  Second, America is made up of immigrants.  America welcomes legitimate immigrants with open arms.  My Mother's side of the family immigrated from Europe.  Trump is using this to rally narrow minded people that immigrants are the cause of all sorts of problems, which is not 100% true.

The snowflake reference pales in comparison to the slights hurled by liberals at every turn...I'd rather be called a snowflake than a racist, bigot, homophobe, nazi, facist...need I go on?  The real opponents to freedom of choice and speech are the liberals who feel anyone who disagrees with them is evil...snowflake is about as nice a term as most liberal protestors deserve.

3 minutes ago, hdkane said:

The snowflake reference pales in comparison to the slights hurled by liberals at every turn...I'd rather be called a snowflake than a racist, bigot, homophobe, nazi, facist...need I go on?  The real opponents to freedom of choice and speech are the liberals who feel anyone who disagrees with them is evil...snowflake is about as nice a term as most liberal protestors deserve.

Excuse me, but are you seriously asserting that some trumpists aren't actually all of those things? Objectively, some are and I won't bother with the evidence because anyone paying attention already knows that as a FACT.

That's different than saying ALL of them are, which nobody has. 

As far as the S word, we already got a ruling on that ... it's a DEROGATORY SLUR word and  OFF LIMITS on this forum. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

I am a 71 year old US citizen.

I spent 5 years in Vietnam in the US  Army in Vietnam.

I lost  my  Vietnamese wife and adopted Vietnamese daughter in April 1975 when the Communists took over Saigon.

I am very much a supporter of the NOT MY PRESIDENT movement.

I  personally feel he was a coward and a deaf dodger who sold out his country for money his father gave him.

Yes

NOT MY PRESIDENT.

Ask any billionaire the first million is the hardest but easier when given to you. 

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

Good charts.  I suspect that if they charted the lack of progress of all people without higher education or technical skills it would follow the same path as "White working-class men".

Technology is eliminating the need for workers doing simple, repetitive tasks.  Trump is not going to change that.  Scapegoating immigrants and trade deals is politically popular but won't bring back high-paying unskilled and semi-skilled jobs.

Unfortunately people will always rally around demigods promising quick fixes and easy answers, and Trump knows this.  Or perhaps he's actually dumb enough to believe the nonsense he's preaching.

Yes, well said.

Just listened to great piece on Radio 4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ffv2l/broadcasts

Alan Winfield, professor of robotics at UWE discusses ethical robotics and states that job losses due to robotics and AI is not the issue; we should be considering how the wealth resulting can be shared more equitably.

Recommended

Talking of anti-Trump rallies there has been a lot of concerns in the UK about his proposed state visit here.  Due to the extent of the anti-Trump feeling it has been suggested that when he "makes a public appearance" that he doesn't do it in London but instead in a Brexit heartland where the crowd will be a little more receptive.  Birmingham as been suggested as it has a high proportion of Brexit supporters.  However initial responses are "No Way!" May I respectfully suggest somewhere in Essex?  Apparently Trump prefers Scotland, at a golf course.

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

It surely is not derogatory, since it is almost a dictionary definition of the reaction of (mostly very young but already authoritarian) university students to some perceived wrong that someone dreamed up last night as they were trying out the latest dope.  Hence poor old Cecil Rhodes was suddenly deemed by Oxford University snowflakes to be a colonialist oppressor, or Germaine Greer (still alive! and Queen of All Feminists) made some offhand remark about misogyny that was deemed Trumponian in its threat to snowflake feelings, and so she was banned from appearing at Cardiff University.  And so on it goes......

3 hours ago, hdkane said:

If you see references like that, use the report function and let the moderators deal with it.

Snowflake is not a nice term.  It's definitely derogatory when used in as a political reference to someone else.

http://college.usatoday.com/2017/02/01/the-origin-of-the-term-snowflake-may-surprise-you/

Been called a 'snowflake'? The 'it' new insult

It surely is not derogatory, since it is almost a dictionary definition of the reaction of (mostly very young but already authoritarian) university students to some perceived wrong that someone dreamed up last night as they were trying out the latest dope.  Hence poor old Cecil Rhodes was suddenly deemed by Oxford University snowflakes to be a colonialist oppressor, or Germaine Greer (still alive! and Queen of All Feminists) made some offhand remark about misogyny that was deemed Trumponian in its threat to snowflake feelings, and so she was banned from appearing at Cardiff University.  And so on it goes......

I think it's OK to talk about the s word in general ways as you just did but when used to personally insult members here it violates forum rules.

Cheers.

I really like snowflakes but usually they are very fragile.  As soon as they come into contact with hot air they tend to melt away.  But they are also very versatile and make great snowmen and snowballs.  So by definition many snowflakes together will result in big balls and when discussing politics on Thaivisa  that is always an advantage!

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Talking of anti-Trump rallies there has been a lot of concerns in the UK about his proposed state visit here.  Due to the extent of the anti-Trump feeling it has been suggested that when he "makes a public appearance" that he doesn't do it in London but instead in a Brexit heartland where the crowd will be a little more receptive.  Birmingham as been suggested as it has a high proportion of Brexit supporters.  However initial responses are "No Way!" May I respectfully suggest somewhere in Essex?  Apparently Trump prefers Scotland, at a golf course.

I've changed my mind

I would now like to watch Trump address both houses. No prompter; straight off the cuff or with some notes.

And then field 30 mins of questions

Please....

4 hours ago, hdkane said:

He said , she said ...pot calling the kettle black !

Attendees at a Trump rally - hard-working Americans.

Anti-Trump protesters on the same day - jobless moochers.

Person of color at Trump rally - shows broad support for Trump

Person of color at Anti-Trump protest - illegal immigrant.

Critic of Trump's travel ban (already declared illegal by the courts) - snowflake.

Critic of media's unfavorable coverage of Trump - Mr. President.

Only the last one is accurate.

But still, #notmypresident.

T

34 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I've changed my mind

I would now like to watch Trump address both houses. No prompter; straight off the cuff or with some notes.

Please....

I would  prefer  an introduction  by way  of explanation  of  who he thinks  he  is and then into  a  120 minute question  time ! :smile: 

57 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I've changed my mind

Please....

I certainly want Trump to come to the UK so that he can experience real opposition.  I am not so sure about him being able to address both houses though because I think the criticism will be very diluted.  I suspect the line will be that the USA are our biggest ally and as President he is representing the Country.  We are not at loggerheads with America, just the moronic POTUS himself.  However I think the people on the street will be far more straightforward.  I know I will be!

6 hours ago, evadgib said:

He's about as popular as a fart in a space suit elsewhere too:

Minister Duncan statement on US State Visit petitions

Minister Duncan sounds like a reasonable man, and an eloquent speaker.  I read his speech.  Intellectually, I agree that it makes sense for Britain and its queen to host a new president of the US.

However, due to Trump's preposterous character, and more importantly; he is treading a path which will likely make the world more dangerous, I think it's wrong for British high society to honor Trump.   Certainly, he should not address both houses of Parliament. 

I would probably fit right-wingers' definition of 'snowflake.'  I think it's ok to use the word, even tho it may seem derogatory.  I prefer free speech.  Also, like many words which start out sounding derogatory, the more it's used, the more diluted it sounds.  Last but not least:  A snowflake is pure as the.....well,  ......as the driven snow, is it not?  I'm not that pure, but I have enough insight to not respect any person who lies, cheats, belittles others, like Trump does - on a daily basis.

Aside from a thousand other reasons, Trump would not like me because I would never buy Trump Steaks or Trump Vodka.   I don't eat red meat and don't do hard drugs (liquor is the most harmful drug in the world).  Even if I was offered a million dollars, I wouldn't go to Africa and shoot endangered animals, as Trump's sons do.   Trump would go postal if he had a son who thinks like me.