Driving License 2yr "Temp" domestic only ? New EU laws

oMega69

4 hours ago, roath said:

If you have a 2 year "Temporary" Licence, as a Thai or Resident, you can, on expiry, apply for a 5 year Licence (i.e. not a "Permanent" licence). It is simply how they deal with the "Provisional Licence" issue that Western governments typically issue for novice drivers. Thailand of course doesn't have a Provisional Licence, but it does have a very easy (by Western standards) driving test. Those on Tourist visas can re-apply for another "Temporary Licence" ad infinitum, so it is not a "Temporary" Licence in the traditional sense. These are opinions and conjecture being posted as fact, which is highly misleading.

Finally some information in this thread.  You guys are arguing about little things like usual and it doesn't really help somebody considering retiring in Thailand to understand the nuances of driver's licenses in Thailand  and or keeping the one in his home country.  

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DVLC  you need a UK residence to get or renew a licence, if you are outside UK you must get one from your country of residence, so when you have your 5 year Thai licence then request an IDP 500 Bt which is valid just as much as a UK IDP. ( But it looks better because it's white and not a dingy grey.) This is very relevant if you are over 70 - you no longer need a doctors letter to extend - they now use self assessment (PLEASE tell me that is not going to be abused!) So if you are resident in Thailand just get the IDP and smile.

On 2/21/2017 at 9:25 PM, KhunBENQ said:

This is new to me.

Never noticed anything in Germany (German) language.

Nah, that is not the case (EU licences scrapped after 5y of non-residence). Wherever OP is from, most certainly not in Germany.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1430377687650&uri=CELEX:32006L0126 , Article 7.

Says that residents in an EU country different from the country of issuance can be required to exchange their original licence for a local one after 2 years, which might have different lengths of validity, news issuance of driving licences hinge on residence in that member state, and newly issued licences will now have a maximum validity of up to 15 years depending on vehicle class, for cars ("B") 15y is fixed.

German licences, e.g. are hitherto permanent (with exceptions for lorries or transporting people), but will have to be exchanged - which could then hinge on residency - between 2021 and 2033, and would then be only valid 15 years max.

That Swedish news-clip does not concern anybody, just says Swedish citizens in countries, where the Swedish licence is not recognized (probably means: outside the EU, without the IDP, or after 3 months there with the IDP), need to get a local licence. Big whoop. And that Swedish regulation is not new, the article does not refer to that EU directive, but is most likely just that, they have now come come round to implement it. 

If you refer to a temporary (2 year) Thai driving license: yes, it is not valid for driving outside of Thailand and you would not get an IDP from Thailand DLT based on the temporary,

Sounds like you missed to renew the 5 yr license for 3 yr or more?

Don't know whether you could get a Thai IDP on your normal 2-year licence, you normally can't get it on a "provisional" licence. Thailand apparently does not have such a thing. Or maybe the very first licence you get is deemed "provisional", could also hinge on visa-type (most likely does) and residence status. Will check next year, maybe earlier, when I get my new Non-O ME. Maybe Mukdahan, should be good fun ruining the day at that local office there when they frantically try to find the person with the best English in the building.

3 years rule is accurate, at least from the big purple sign that hung in the Pattaya office in October. Or OP only got a tourist visa this time, or entered exempt. Need more info.

In earnest: that Thai driving test is a doodle and costs 315 Baht, plus 300 for a certificate of residence and 100 for a bogus health certificate. Maybe just drive there and show them how we reverse park a car in Europe. Brush up on theory here http://thaidriving.info/ and be done with it.

10 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Valid Thai license, Valid overseas. 2 year or 5 year, there is no difference.

I am yet to see an official Thai website that says otherwise.

Where  I  come  from  the only  valid licence  to operate  a vehicle on the  road  must be valid in the nationality of the holder. Therefore  a Thai licence  would  be  useless to me  because I am still  deemed  a resident of that  country  and do  not have  Thai  residency or more.

But  a  Thai or  other Asiains can use  a  Thai  DL in  my  country  for up to 1  year with  an International Permit  and  be  covered 100%  for  personal/3rd  party injury in the  outcomes. 

Given the   abysmal reputation  of  DL  issues in Thailand I have  never understood  why  the Thai  Authorities  can  not find the  grace  to issue  a full local licence  to  Westeners on the basis  of the requirements they have had  to fulfill to attain it.

But then  I  no less  understand   many  Western countries deem it  necessary  to  "renew"  a  licence within  a  given number of  years.

Over  a  certain  age is a plausible reason because  a physical or  medical risk  factors  do have  some pertinence. Yet so often a paid  medical confirmation up to a point permits  a renewal regardless. 

"Licencing" is  now   just  an industry. Those  that  comply  with the requirements fund  that industry.

Those  that avoid  compliance for  various  reason  may or may not  be in reality  better  vehicle operators but because  they  have  not  conformed  and paid  the cost are deemed illegitimate. Which in turn  may and probably explains  the  number of  incidents  where a driver  absconds  the  scene of an accident even  when  not  at  fault but in doing so  invites all  blame.

My explanation of  this  "rant"  if  there  are those  that wish  to rate it so is  that  in a  dysfunctional industry  that exists for the  funding  rather than the purpose need  to be  made responsible  for  approving   ineptitude.

Where  I  come  from  the only  valid licence  to operate  a vehicle on the  road  must be valid in the nationality of the holder. Therefore  a Thai licence  would  be  useless to me  because I am still  deemed  a resident of that  country  and do  not have  Thai  residency or more.
But  a  Thai or  other Asiains can use  a  Thai  DL in  my  country  for up to 1  year with  an International Permit  and  be  covered 100%  for  personal/3rd  party injury in the  outcomes. 
Given the   abysmal reputation  of  DL  issues in Thailand I have  never understood  why  the Thai  Authorities  can  not find the  grace  to issue  a full local licence  to  Westeners on the basis  of the requirements they have had  to fulfill to attain it.
But then  I  no less  understand   many  Western countries deem it  necessary  to  "renew"  a  licence within  a  given number of  years.
Over  a  certain  age is a plausible reason because  a physical or  medical risk  factors  do have  some pertinence. Yet so often a paid  medical confirmation up to a point permits  a renewal regardless. 
"Licencing" is  now   just  an industry. Those  that  comply  with the requirements fund  that industry.
Those  that avoid  compliance for  various  reason  may or may not  be in reality  better  vehicle operators but because  they  have  not  conformed  and paid  the cost are deemed illegitimate. Which in turn  may and probably explains  the  number of  incidents  where a driver  absconds  the  scene of an accident even  when  not  at  fault but in doing so  invites all  blame.
My explanation of  this  "rant"  if  there  are those  that wish  to rate it so is  that  in a  dysfunctional industry  that exists for the  funding  rather than the purpose need  to be  made responsible  for  approving   ineptitude.

Where are you from?

sent using Tapatalk

Just now, stevenl said:

If you make claims based on 'where I come from ', you should mention it.

sent using Tapatalk

If I were  to choose to reveal my origins it would  be  in my profile. I reserve  my right  to  deny  that  but it  does  not  mean that  my  statements  are  not true as to legislation/ rules  etc in my country of origin. If  you  can  accept that then  may I ask  why it is important  to you  to know?

3 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Asians can only drive in 'your country' for a period of no more than 3 months.  Unless they leave 'your country' and return.  Then, they can drive, on their own licence, for a further 3 months.

If their 'local' licence is in a language other than English and they do not have an international driving permit, they are required to obtain an official translation of the licence.  The Asian's 'local' licence, official translation/international driving permit and passport (showing the date of their latest entry to 'your country') must be carried at all times whilst driving.

Oh, and citizens of 'your country' can drive in 'your country' on foreign driving licences if they do not hold a licence from 'your country' and are not banned from driving in 'your country.'  From personal experience, I drove in 'your country' with a Cambodian licence as my licence from 'your country' had expired.  For the duration of my time driving there I had to meet the three criteria which I posted above (carry the foreign licence, carry the official translation of the licence and carry my passport to show that I had been in 'your country' for less than 3 months).

Edited by Stray
Your choice of posting name is quite apt.

13 minutes ago, Grubster said:

Then why does it say temporary on it?

It does not. Not on the first, not a renewed one. It just states an expiration date.

So, whether Thai licences are ever "temporary" (as opposed to "provisional") legally, i.e. with ramifications as to whether you could get a Thai IDP on them, is the big question.

If I were  to choose to reveal my origins it would  be  in my profile. I reserve  my right  to  deny  that  but it  does  not  mean that  my  statements  are  not true as to legislation/ rules  etc in my country of origin. If  you  can  accept that then  may I ask  why it is important  to you  to know?

How can I verify your statements if you refuse to reveal your origin? You claim something based on your origin but refuse to let others verify, not done.

sent using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Saradoc1972 said:

Oops. It actually does say temporary. Apparently it does not on the 5-year-licence, which you can apply for 3 months before your first 2y-licence runs out. Only on a Non-O and B visa.

You take someone to task for posting inaccurate information, then do the same yourself. "Only on a Non-O and B visa". Any Non-Imm visa should be accepted for 5 year DL (e.g. also ED, Privilege visa and R visas). If you have a tourist visa, they only usually allow further renewals of the 2 year "Temporary" DL

20 hours ago, oyster said:

DVLC  you need a UK residence to get or renew a licence, if you are outside UK you must get one from your country of residence, so when you have your 5 year Thai licence then request an IDP 500 Bt which is valid just as much as a UK IDP. ( But it looks better because it's white and not a dingy grey.) This is very relevant if you are over 70 - you no longer need a doctors letter to extend - they now use self assessment (PLEASE tell me that is not going to be abused!) So if you are resident in Thailand just get the IDP and smile.

You can still get a UK licence if you are outside of the UK, provided of course that you have a legitimate UK address and are legally "resident" in the UK. "Residence" is a matter of fact and law. The fact that you are outside of the UK at the time of the application by no means defines whether you are legally resident outside of the UK or not.

From what any of some who have posted here,  all l would like to add to what I have posted already as to l understand it,   if l was to hire a car say in the UK on a Thai 2 year DL l would want conformation from car-hire company that l will be fully insured in case of accident that's all.

Those who'd rather leave to hearsay goodluck.   

I got my first car license here in Thailand in Jan 2017, it is valid for 2 years and says temporary car on it.

While at the DLT my gf said I could renew it after 1 year to get the 5 year, I just asked her again if that was the case and she said yes .

Can anyone confirm this, it seems a bit odd to me that you can do this but if there is an issue with renting or rental insurance on the 2 year temp license then I will be interested in upgrading to 5 year asap.

Anybody heard about this or has a link ??

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

I got my first car license here in Thailand in Jan 2017, it is valid for 2 years and says temporary car on it.

While at the DLT my gf said I could renew it after 1 year to get the 5 year, I just asked her again if that was the case and she said yes .

Can anyone confirm this, it seems a bit odd to me that you can do this but if there is an issue with renting or rental insurance on the 2 year temp license then I will be interested in upgrading to 5 year asap.

Anybody heard about this or has a link ??

Validity of the first, temporary, license used to be one year, that is probably why she referenced to renewal after one year.

sent using Tapatalk

i got my German license in 1962 and it is still valid!

In the uk they are valid until you are 65 .
You have to renew them every 10 years with minimal requirements, pretty much just a new photo !

After that I'm not sure how often or the requirements but my father still has a license and he's 87 ! ( drives better than most Thais) !!

On 2/27/2017 at 10:16 AM, 12DrinkMore said:

It is illegal to retain the UK DL if you move abroad. The fine for not informing them of the change of address is 1,000 Quid.

It is questionable whether the UK DL is still legally valid in the UK for driving on if you live in Thailand.

Have to admit I have been a bad boy about this, but now all the UK government computers are linked together, it is only a matter of time before they start coordinating the databases and search for "anomalities".

I have decided to not renew my UK DL this year.....

has the photo expired or have you reached the magic age of 70

5 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

In the uk they are valid until you are 65 .
You have to renew them every 10 years with minimal requirements, pretty much just a new photo !

After that I'm not sure how often or the requirements but my father still has a license and he's 87 ! ( drives better than most Thais) !!

not quite, valid until 70 years then renewable every 3,

photo lasts 10 years

my thoughts on an 87 year old driving i will keep to myself

21 hours ago, Stray said:

Asians can only drive in 'your country' for a period of no more than 3 months.  Unless they leave 'your country' and return.  Then, they can drive, on their own licence, for a further 3 months.

If their 'local' licence is in a language other than English and they do not have an international driving permit, they are required to obtain an official translation of the licence.  The Asian's 'local' licence, official translation/international driving permit and passport (showing the date of their latest entry to 'your country') must be carried at all times whilst driving.

Oh, and citizens of 'your country' can drive in 'your country' on foreign driving licences if they do not hold a licence from 'your country' and are not banned from driving in 'your country.'  From personal experience, I drove in 'your country' with a Cambodian licence as my licence from 'your country' had expired.  For the duration of my time driving there I had to meet the three criteria which I posted above (carry the foreign licence, carry the official translation of the licence and carry my passport to show that I had been in 'your country' for less than 3 months).

Are  you  sure  of  your  statements?  And if  you  are  and  and  have  access  to my  undisclosed country of  origin  then  you have  demonstrated an  invasion of privacy facilitated by  whom?

not quite, valid until 70 years then renewable every 3,

photo lasts 10 years

my thoughts on an 87 year old driving i will keep to myself

I stand corrected !

You are right it is until 70 years old, I just looked at my license.
Not sure where I got the 65 from ? Did they raise it ? I could have sworn it was 65 !!

We used to hide my fathers car keys and in the end sold his car last year after he finally conceded defeat !

1 hour ago, transam said:
15 hours ago, Naam said:

i got my German license in 1962 and it is still valid!

Me in '65 and expires in 2019. Think then have to have a medical to keep it going.

mine expires in 2033 :smile:

1 hour ago, transam said:

Me in '65 and expires in 2019. Think then have to have a medical to keep it going.

Also expires when you have no UK address.

Again if out of the UK or EU area for over 2 years becomes invalid.

I sent mine back by post in 2007. :whistling: