Driving License 2yr "Temp" domestic only ? New EU laws

oMega69

Had my 5yr downgrade to 2yr . . . i know my old 5yr was valid to drive in EU up to 1yr. . . .  but i guess the Temp licens only valid domestic in TH . . . . any info on this ?

As all EU countries cancel your current licenses IF you have perment address in a non EU country now ... from May 2017 . . . .    New EU regulations . . . .

I have source of this only i Swedish sry.

http://www.gp.se/nyheter/sverige/nya-körkortsregler-för-utlandssvenskar-1.4166197

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, oMega69 said:

but i guess the Temp licens only valid domestic in TH . . . . any info on this ?

If you refer to a temporary (2 year) Thai driving license: yes, it is not valid for driving outside of Thailand and you would not get an IDP from Thailand DLT based on the temporary,

36 minutes ago, oMega69 said:

Had my 5yr downgrade to 2yr .

Sounds like you missed to renew the 5 yr license for 3 yr or more?

35 minutes ago, oMega69 said:

As all EU countries cancel your current licenses IF you have perment address in a non EU country now ... from May 2017 . . . .    New EU regulations . . . .

This is new to me.

Never noticed anything in Germany (German) language.

1. Typically a case of shut the gate after the horse has bolted.  :laugh:  Some DLT's do issue Thai DL's on tourist visa but only 2 year ones which is a temporary one not valid out of Thailand as already stated and as l understand it but of coarse not all DLT's will issue one. 

2. I can only speak for UK as l always known you have to inform DVLA when you change your address where you live on your UK DL, dunno know if it applies to a temporary address.

l read on their web site there is a 2 year period of being out of UK or EU residing in another country that the UK DL becomes invalid. 

I sent my UK DL back ages ago. :whistling: 

12 hours ago, oMega69 said:

I was downgraded as i had a TR visa now not a Non-Immigrant . . . . . . .

And for EU law on citizen living in a non EU country. . its on a request in parlament  as we speak so not yet 100% confirmed. . . .

Google Translate, yes, not the most reliable source, tells me it is a Swedish adaptation of EU rules. That would indicate the EU rules are that way already (new to me, and so far have had no issues renewing my home license), and now Sweden is adapting according to EU rules.

Interesting that the thai temp license isn't valid outside of thailand

ive hired a car twice in the uk using one. Of course the hire shop isn't expected to know the ins and outs of thai licences (the UK doesnt have temp licenses). 

Regardless, when i got stopped for speeding, they did me on my UK License so i could win 3 points :)

1 hour ago, jonw8uk said:

ive hired a car twice in the uk using one. Of course the hire shop isn't expected to know the ins and outs of thai licences (the UK doesnt have temp licenses). 

Regardless, when i got stopped for speeding, they did me on my UK License so i could win 3 points :)

Bit careless if you ask me why not hire the car with the UK licence because if unfortunate and be involved in an accident the hired car could be found not to be insured l guess..

Edited by Kwasaki

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Bit careless if you ask me why not hire the car with the UK licence because if unfortunate and be involved in an accident the hired car could be found not to be insured l guess..

Sure. I wasnt aware, and nor was the hire company. 

I walk in, say thai license ok? They say no probs. 

I wanted to use the foreign license so in the event of any fines, they wouldnt pursue it too hard....

Seeing that the police fined me on my uk license (which being non resident i cant officially have) in the event of an accident id probably be covered under that, or the qatari one, or the korean one. 

Regardless it didnt happen, and i now know for future visits. 

Where does the information, that a 2 year licence is not valid outside Thailand, come from ?
Even Thai people get a 2 year licence for there first licence.
Is this opinion or fact ?
It's not stated on the license.

The following link says its possible to get an international license with a 2 year license.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/Intl driving permit issued in Thailand.pdf

A check on Australian state transport websites, says a valid OS licence is fine. License must be in English and have a photo. The international license is only required as a translation if no English on license. An OS licence held for under a year is considered the same as a local provisional license, limited speed etc.

Edited by Peterw42

On 2/22/2017 at 9:59 AM, jonw8uk said:

It is not a temporary licence.

On 2/22/2017 at 0:12 PM, jonw8uk said:

Sure. I wasnt aware, and nor was the hire company. 

I walk in, say thai license ok? They say no probs. 

I wanted to use the foreign license so in the event of any fines, they wouldnt pursue it too hard....

Seeing that the police fined me on my uk license (which being non resident i cant officially have) in the event of an accident id probably be covered under that, or the qatari one, or the korean one. 

Regardless it didnt happen, and i now know for future visits. 

So your a potential scammer using Thailand"s good name.After this has been done a few times they stop accepting Thai licence.A few stuff it up for the majority,get it.

On 2/22/2017 at 0:44 PM, Peterw42 said:

Where does the information, that a 2 year licence is not valid outside Thailand, come from ?

Agree but what do you think a 2 year temporary DL is.

34 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

It is not a temporary licence.

Not a bad site for info 2 year Thai DL from what l would understand is temporary so what else would you call it.

http://donslifeinthailand.com/Thai-Drivers-License-2.html

33 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

So your a potential scammer using Thailand"s good name.After this has been done a few times they stop accepting Thai licence.A few stuff it up for the majority,get it.

What is the scam ? Its a valid license, end of story.

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:29 AM, Kwasaki said:

1. Typically a case of shut the gate after the horse has bolted.  :laugh:  Some DLT's do issue Thai DL's on tourist visa but only 2 year ones which is a temporary one not valid out of Thailand as already stated and as l understand it but of coarse not all DLT's will issue one. 

2. I can only speak for UK as l always known you have to inform DVLA when you change your address where you live on your UK DL, dunno know if it applies to a temporary address.

l read on their web site there is a 2 year period of being out of UK or EU residing in another country that the UK DL becomes invalid. 

I sent my UK DL back ages ago. :whistling: 

The 2 year Thai DL is, to the best of my knowledge and belief, valid abroad. It is not a "Provisional" Licence in the Western sense, but a "Full" Licence so I see no reason why it shouldn't be accepted internationally.

Do you have a link to the UKDL being invalid after 2 years? I couldn't find anything about it. The EU website for DLs simply states that your national DL remains valid for its validity period even if you have moved to another member state, so doesn't deal with the issue of living outside of the EU.  

It is worth mentioning that legally, you can remain technically (i.e. legally) resident in a country even if you are effectively (de facto) living elsewhere. The fact that you may be "living" in Thailand for practical purposes (particularly true if you do not have Permanent Residency status or dual nationality, which means that we are not "settled" here for legal purposes) doesn't necessarily mean that you have given up your UK right of legal residency. There are a number of factors at hand, not simply where you physically stay. Some people formally give up residency (e.g. by declaration) for tax purposes etc.

Just now, colinsmallman said:

5 year driving licence will only be issued with a 1 year visa in your passport. My Chinese friend had the same problem and the staff explained they should get a 1 year visa and then the 5 year licence will be issued.

Thats dependent on the DLT office, there are DLT offices that will issue a 5 year license on a tourist visa.

10 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Agree but what do you think a 2 year temporary DL is.

Not a bad site for info 2 year Thai DL from what l would understand is temporary so what else would you call it.

http://donslifeinthailand.com/Thai-Drivers-License-2.html

If you have a 2 year "Temporary" Licence, as a Thai or Resident, you can, on expiry, apply for a 5 year Licence (i.e. not a "Permanent" licence). It is simply how they deal with the "Provisional Licence" issue that Western governments typically issue for novice drivers. Thailand of course doesn't have a Provisional Licence, but it does have a very easy (by Western standards) driving test. Those on Tourist visas can re-apply for another "Temporary Licence" ad infinitum, so it is not a "Temporary" Licence in the traditional sense. These are opinions and conjecture being posted as fact, which is highly misleading.

On 2/22/2017 at 11:47 AM, Kwasaki said:

It is illegal to retain the UK DL if you move abroad. The fine for not informing them of the change of address is 1,000 Quid.

It is questionable whether the UK DL is still legally valid in the UK for driving on if you live in Thailand.

Have to admit I have been a bad boy about this, but now all the UK government computers are linked together, it is only a matter of time before they start coordinating the databases and search for "anomalities".

I have decided to not renew my UK DL this year.....

1 minute ago, blackcab said:

Pattaya is more liberal than Bangkok. Here you can only get an IDP with a 5 year license.

A lot of the time the IDP has not much to do with the validity of a license in another country. In the case of Australia for example, an IDP is only required if your license is not written in English. That sort of makes sense, otherwise you could handover your (non english) Gym membership card and say its a license.

I went to renew my 5 year licence at Chonburi in October, before it expired. They explained that they would only give me 5 years again if I had a one year visa, I didn't and got 2 years. 

My new 2 year has Temporary Motor cycle written on it in English

On 2/21/2017 at 9:25 PM, KhunBENQ said:

If you refer to a temporary (2 year) Thai driving license: yes, it is not valid for driving outside of Thailand and you would not get an IDP from Thailand DLT based on the temporary,

Sounds like you missed to renew the 5 yr license for 3 yr or more?

This is new to me.

Never noticed anything in Germany (German) language.

It has been reported that the 2 year Thai drivers license has been accepted in foreign countries and accepted by car rental agencies.  In fact, International drivers licenses have been processed from a Thai 2 year, DL as I have been told.