Parents and director at loggerheads in Pattaya International school dispute mediation

webfact

Parents and director at loggerheads in Pattaya International school dispute mediation

3am.jpg

Picture: Pattaya News

PATTAYA: -- Parents from Best International School in Pattaya met with the school director at the government's watchdog group Damrongtham Centre yesterday.

But no agreement was reached. Parents said that the school were talking nonsense countering claims that they were properly informed about the school's curriculum.

Now the dispute is set to drag on as further documents are likely to be placed before the Damrontham clerks.

Parents had earlier appealed for action on February 14th on three issues - incorrect charging of fees, poor health conditions and a curriculum at odds with what was previously announced, reported Pattaya News.

Best director Dr Ulai Sirisri said that the school's charges were all above board and transparent. Health provision at the school was fine and the school was regularly inspected. If there were any lapses they were down to individual staff and parents were welcome to point this out so it could be rectified.

On the subject of the curriculum the school director said that it was made perfectly clear from the start that there were two curriculums - an EP (English Program) and an International one for grades 7 - 11 (P6 to M4).

Thus they said it was clear that Years 12 and 13 (M5 and M6) would follow the EP program.

The representative of the parents Khun Rossakhon said that this was all nonsense especially the issue of the curriculum that the students would follow. She said there was no communication with parents at all and if there had been there would probably not be a problem now.

Pattaya News reported that parents were refusing to pay term fees but this was claimed to not exactly be the case in comments made on Facebook.

People took to the site to say that Best's advertising and website were at odds with what was actually being offered.

The school has promised to supply further documents to back up their claims and resolve the issue.

Source: Pattaya News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-22

Seems strange to finish your international programme at M4 and revert back to  EP  for M5 and M6.  I would assume that you would want to finish high school in the international programme to better you chances in the IGCSE and future education [as promoted by the school]

Actually the school was simply not ready or prepared to go to the IGCSE program,  my youngest son attends this school and it really has been very confusing to say the least!

Regarding payments for terms and school bus, this is a total shambles, Earlier this month, I received threatening letters from the school saying that I had not paid for the term fees, then the following week the school bus, the whole payment schedule is in disarray due to the changes in the timing of the curriculum's, so you end up being asked to pay twice within about 2 months, when they first went to the IP, then we were told that the payments would remain 2 times per year, regardless of the 3 terms.

I'm guessing that they have no proper accounting control of payments, luckily mine are made on line, so there is a traceable record.

I have tried calling the school to get some information on these so called due payments to no avail, emailed them dozens of times asking for a proper statement of accounts for my son's payments, again, nothing!

My ex. wife went to the school and tried to discuss, waste of time, she also asked them to call me with an English speaking person, still waiting for the call.

The issue for me is that my son is at the age where I'd prefer not to change schools due to the disruption this can cause, a catch 22!

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

Actually the school was simply not ready or prepared to go to the IGCSE program,  my youngest son attends this school and it really has been very confusing to say the least!

Regarding payments for terms and school bus, this is a total shambles, Earlier this month, I received threatening letters from the school saying that I had not paid for the term fees, then the following week the school bus, the whole payment schedule is in disarray due to the changes in the timing of the curriculum's, so you end up being asked to pay twice within about 2 months, when they first went to the IP, then we were told that the payments would remain 2 times per year, regardless of the 3 terms.

I'm guessing that they have no proper accounting control of payments, luckily mine are made on line, so there is a traceable record.

I have tried calling the school to get some information on these so called due payments to no avail, emailed them dozens of times asking for a proper statement of accounts for my son's payments, again, nothing!

My ex. wife went to the school and tried to discuss, waste of time, she also asked them to call me with an English speaking person, still waiting for the call.

The issue for me is that my son is at the age where I'd prefer not to change schools due to the disruption this can cause, a catch 22!

Sounds like more disruption if you leave him at this so-called international school. Just move him.

I taught English to G2 Thai children at a bi-lingual private school for three and a half years. The children were lovely, but as far as the school management and education system was concerned, it was much like being in a mental asylum, so I sympathize with the parents' plight. 

On their website they write still 2 terms and not 3:

Admission

Tuesday, 13 December 2011 07:54 Written by Administrator

We have two terms. The first term is from May to October; the second term is from November to March. We currently cater for students from Nursery, Kindergarten, Primary through to Secondary level 6.  For more information regarding admission and the curriculum available, please check detail and information to the year appropriate for your children.

http://www.burapha.ac.th/main/index.php/home/admissions.html

And the fees are to for 2 Terms:

http://www.burapha.ac.th/main/index.php/home/admissions/application-fees.html

Nothing international about that school except the school fees. I doubt that their teachers are fully qualified teachers from their own countries.

Most likely Pattaya Bar Stool Teachers...

Easy to use the title "International" to blindside your customers, but as pointed out earlier nothing justifies that they have their students finish their degrees in the Thai curriculum.

Best has had its ups and downs over the years. Seems like the tide always catches up with you and the undertow will drag you out to see if you try to screw your customers.

6 hours ago, bangon04 said:

It may well be the " Best International School in Pattaya " for all we know. Doesn't say much for the others.....

The name comes from the original branding of the school when it opened in 1997 as Burapha English-Programme School of Thailand and nothing to do with any claims of being the best of anything.