Goodbye to Thailand (for a while maybe)

ELVIS123456

11 hours ago, strikingsunset said:

What does my head in is the total lack of any actual intellectual stimulation .. it's ... well

Don't see that. It is easy to get unlimited numbers of great books and films and there is always the Internet. It is not the 20th century anymore.

I read that if you are married living in USA after 10 years the wife can leave and collect on your SS?      Utah is a non common law marriage state. 

In the USA SS benefits have a weighted number given to the time value of money.  So contributions in say year 1985 are multiplied by 14 vs contributions from 2016 are 1.  So working the last 10 years would be worth as my guess 1/10 as much in SS benefits compared to if you worked 1985-1995.     I can't believe this isn't the case in OZ?  So I think the comment about someone coming to rip off the system is totally false.   You only get some % of the time value of your contributions.   Not free money.  This Elvis is looking to bail trump land.   My main worry is the heat in Thailand and no snow or fresh air or elk hunting. 

Edited by Elkski
Spelling

On February 23, 2017 at 10:51 AM, catman20 said:

i dont get it.  all men come to Thailand to enjoy there retirement only to get stuck with some bird then return back to the sh@t hole they couldn't wait to get away from.:sorry:

The need for a bird becomes less exciting the easier and more commonly it is available. After a time it becomes a non-issue. Get it now?

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 8:09 AM, JayBird said:

If you are bored in Thailand then you are bored with life  :(

In the 18th century Samuel Johnson said something very similar about London.

It was probably true at that time, but who would say so nowadays?

Thailand fit that description in the 1970s and it still beats the PC nanny-states by a country mile.

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

While I understand that posters on forums tend to use sweeping generalizations as it the nature of the beast, keep in mind not all of us came here for cheap booze and women. While I agree a vast majority likely did but not all. I suppose that shine would wear off fast and then whats left? Most had no plan and lack a balanced life. 

I find Thailand very relaxing and enjoy my life here and after nearly 10 years or so never had a bad experience. Of course I do not fixate on trivial things and complain. Its counterproductive and makes one a bitter person to be around.. Also we all know the living environment and where will have a huge impact on ones point of view. 

There is so much more than women and alcohol here to enjoy, depending on what you look for.  For me:

-- Plentiful food choices (often at good prices)

-- Lots of shopping choices

-- All the mod-cons of the western world

-- Convenience, Convenience, Convenience!   No closing on sundays or closing early.  No waiting in queues for things. 

-- Great location to visit the rest of SE Asia.

Every country has pros and cons.  So long as you are aware of them before you move here and are okey with them, then you shouldn't have a problem.  As for Thai Nationals being discriminatory: I've not seen that problem (excluding Tuk-Tuk drivers that see me as a walking ATM).  For the most part they treat me like they would any other Thai person.  I stand out, but I don't stand out in the 'bad/farlang' way (I dress properly, clean, no beer gut, talk properly, etc.)

• Like 2

the major challenge for me has been living here for my own reasons, but not really liking the company of most thais (the only ones i can stand are the younger women). everyone else, especially the lower class issan type men and older generation, seem to 'bug me' in ways that i never got comfortable with. in the uk it would be called 'nagging' i suppose (coming into my space or sphere when it's unwanted).

all the other challenges of living here are not an issue for me and can be dealt with without much trouble. i have tried altering my living situation to places where i could 'do my own thing' most of the time, but the nagging stuff felt like it was just become culmative rather then being solved.

so far i can support the saying that if you dont like the people, its not a good idea to move to another country. i have not found the ideal where im in an isolated living situation with access to necessities, living very affordably and surrounded by beautiful women, without the hassles of most of the local populations problems, yet, but im still looking.

Edited by JimCrane
  • Like 1

It's not uncommon for a wife to love her husband even if she can do the things mentioned above.

Agreed If your similar ages. However a thirty-year age gap gets very old quickly in the West.. Pun intended.

Not judging you but just saying in general the dynamics change when the young wife starts get attention from young men in the West.
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2017 at 8:41 AM, Ulysses G. said:

Don't see that. It is easy to get unlimited numbers of great books and films and there is always the Internet. It is not the 20th century anymore.

Indeed, the intellect of TV collectively is available. It is at times a good dose of reality in regards to how intellectual things can become.

Just as an aside, how about the instance where you are retired, and still fit enough to have a hobby that can make a small income, and your wife is also very close to being the same and you want do something instead of bars beaches and whatever.

You can't do that here without waiting to get busted for working without a WP.

Quite sure you can do it in Oz or any other EU country.

There are many people like Elvis who have come to and left Thailand.  He has had enough and I can understand.  The longest I stay here is a month and then I want to be back home.  I've occasionally thought about owning a condo in Thailand and treating it as a second home, like many of us I suppose, but I'm not sure I can live somewhere which is essentially a third world country.  Many of the charms and more mentioned in this thread can be found in practically all major urban centres in the developed world - the difference being the increased cost to some extent.

Once the charm of relatively cheap booze and sex of Thailand wears off, the inconveniences of the country seem to amplify.  Initially overlooked once arriving, these seemingly minor inconveniences - can't drink the tap water, the dangers of the road, mopeds running on the sidewalks, etc - now become irritating issues.

And many falangs complain about the poor attitude that a good proportion of Thais have toward falangs.  I can't blame the Thais.  After all, how can we expect them to respect throngs of criminals, drunks, and tattooed simpletons living in a tourist ghetto who come here for cheap booze and sex, often causing issues of one kind or another?

Bar stool talk at its best. Clearly u need to visit other areas of Thailand.

Some of us have families and don't drink booze. We have a good life and thus nothing relates to your pattaya talk.

Go back to the nanny state where you belong

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

Don't agree with that. Plenty of men just get hoodwinked. I have one friend who married a Thai woman who has been out to damage him since the day she got pregnant and had a guaranteed income for the next 18 years. He is continually in and out of court in USA for nuisance cases that she dreams up.

However, he got remarried to another Thai woman who is the perfect wife. They had a child and have been married 10 years and the marriage is truly blessed.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1