Dogs on the farm

chaiyapoon

We have recently rehomed a Thai ridgeback in a disincentive colour he is a big fit dog who is has become very protective of our land .

He doesn't bite and is very good with our 5 year old and other children but he and another of our dogs seem to like chasing chickens.

We are now getting complaints from about a kilometer away and one has even has threatened to shoot them. He came from a guy who had a large high walled garden on around 3 rai but used to escape even from that occasionally. There was no mention of chicken issues and the guy has now left the country. We love him but chaining him up is the only immediate solution and a large fenced area is the only long term solution I can come up with. What would you do ?  we are in a rural environment  with many small farms and lots of loose chickens and many people have fighting cockerels too. Fencing in is not going to give him a decent life style but may be all we can do.

One of my dogs is a Rottweiler cross that I have had since he was 11/12 weeks old. He had  been allowed to run free right from the start until one day he decided that chasing chickens was good fun. Ever since then I have had to keep him locked  in a 6x6 metre garage behind a steel gate during the day . At night he is kept behind a gate on our upstairs veranda. I take him on a leash and another dog (who is no problem and runs free if we go anywhere) 5 times for walks everyday. There are a number of people in the village that keep their dog in a 1 metre by 1 metre cage day and night, that's downright cruelty and I would never consider doing that.

Our village is the same as you describe and what I am trying to say is if you love your dog this is what you have to do to keep the peace and look after your dog.

An added bonus is that I can keep an eye on him and prevent him from taking a bait where as the other dog took one but I managed to notice in time and saved him. A downside of keeping Abhisit under control is that while he is not a vicious dog he has become very protective of us and his surrounds and  anyone that appears scared of him soon realises you don't fool with him.

For some reason if a dog senses that you are scared of them, they interpret that as danger and so will react like Abhisit does.

You've got a few choices.

1) Get rid of the dog (we had to give away my wife's dog who wouldn't stop chasing chickens).

2) When you find him with a dead chicken chain him up with the chicken lying next to him. Then yell and beat the crap out of him (I had to do this with my two dogs - they no longer chase chickens.

3. Fence him in. If you've got room make a nice big run.

4. Fence in your chickens. This won't stop him chasing neighbours chickens so unless you fence your land securely he'll get out.

I had to tell my neighbour that I'd shoot his dogs if they didn't stop coming over and kill our chickens. Neighbour said no problem.

Two of our neighbours lost dogs because they killed chickens, one was stabbed and the other poisoned.

One of our neighbours complained because when his chickens came onto our land, our dogs would chase them out, he threatened to shoot them. The son in law had an 'amicable' (that means I wasn't present) discussion with him and he has now erected a fence which may have cost him about‎ ฿1000 and that problem has gone away.

I don't have much sympathy with guys that let their birds wander all over the village looking for food as they are too stingy to give them some of their rice or build a fence. We are finishing a 150 metre wall around our property so that we can let the dogs run loose without supervision. Our chickens are fenced in and our chicken killer, also a ridgeback, is mostly chained up until it is finished, and I am looking at electric fences at the moment.

I've found before when we had multiple dogs that the oldest dog would teach the younger ones to eat chickens because she was worried that there wasn't enough food for them all.

One dog no problem.Thai dogs are very much hunters and gatherer's in rural area's.

Two of our neighbours lost dogs because they killed chickens, one was stabbed and the other poisoned.
One of our neighbours complained because when his chickens came onto our land, our dogs would chase them out, he threatened to shoot them. The son in law had an 'amicable' (that means I wasn't present) discussion with him and he has now erected a fence which may have cost him about‎ ฿1000 and that problem has gone away.
I don't have much sympathy with guys that let their birds wander all over the village looking for food as they are too stingy to give them some of their rice or build a fence. We are finishing a 150 metre wall around our property so that we can let the dogs run loose without supervision. Our chickens are fenced in and our chicken killer, also a ridgeback, is mostly chained up until it is finished, and I am looking at electric fences at the moment.

Do you have any useful links for electric fences here?

Sent from my R2D2 using my C3P0 manservant