BBC journalist faces five years jail for Thailand reporting

webfact

1 minute ago, AGareth2 said:

surprised it is not being reported by the BBC

As I said in a previous post, the BBC and Mr Head have been here before. No need for the BBC to worry, at the moment. I'm sure he's milking the 'leaving'  drinks from other news organisations at the foreign correspondants club.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, chainarong said:

Just muzzle the press, well lets define that, the international press, the locals have shown time and again they've no balls so they don't count, however having known a good reporter ruined by the Military Hi-So for disclosing some filthy habits of some Junta generals a long time ago and perhaps some old time reporters still remember, I understand .........................................:coffee1:

So true

the silence of the local press on this case is all telling. Not a peep. 

Shame on the BP and Nation. Cowards!

A system specially designed to support the unique Thai-"Loss of Face" Concept. (and corruption, scams etc.)

The Thai-Lose-Face Concept: "You do not lose face for doing something wrong - You lose face, when you get caught and that you actually did something wrong is irrelevant." 

Anyway, great news article for Foreign Investors around the world. I am sure they are keen to invest when they read stuff like this.

Edited by khunpa

5 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Andrew Drummond amateur journalist with website and twitter account, nothing like Jonathan Head from the world renowned BBC. I shouldn't worry it will be a repeat of the Andy Hall trial. If found guilty a suspended sentence and a fine.

Wrong. Drummond had decades of experience as international (SE Asia) correspondent for multiple major British national newspapers and also made TV docu's for Channel 4, BBC etc.

"The BBC's Head reported that Pratuan, the lawyer, admitted to notarising Rance's signature without him being present.

Pratuan filed a defamation case alleging the reports caused him to be "defamed, insulted or hated", according to a copy of the complaint seen by AFP."

Interesting; the defamation case doesn't allege the report was wrong.  Was the lawyer defamed by the truth?  Is it illegal to call a turd a turd in Thailand?

Just kidding, of course it's illegal. 

5 hours ago, Denim said:

With all the talk of  ' reform ' by the padites and their military friends it's a real pity that the defamation laws are not on the top of the reform list.

It's a crazy situation whereby anyone who exposes a well connected thief doing something criminal is themselves likely to be the one who ends up with a heavy fine or jail sentence.

For any country to have any real semblance of democracy, there has to be some reasonable element of press freedom. Without it, you get a situation like Thailand at present with all the many things that are very wrong.

If the current government were serious about real "reform," curtailing corruption and restoring democracy, then eliminating defamation as a criminal offense in Thai law should have been one of their first priorities.

But of course, it wasn't, and probably won't ever be. Because. those same forces in control of the government are the ones who sometimes use criminal defamation and a cowed/fearful media to perpetuate the ills of the country and silence those who would try to change them.

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

"The BBC's Head reported that Pratuan, the lawyer, admitted to notarising Rance's signature without him being present.

Pratuan filed a defamation case alleging the reports caused him to be "defamed, insulted or hated", according to a copy of the complaint seen by AFP."

Interesting; the defamation case doesn't allege the report was wrong.  Was the lawyer defamed by the truth?  Is it illegal to call a turd a turd in Thailand?

You can tell the truth and still be guilty of defamation under Thai law. 

Well let's face it. Internationally, diplomatically Thailand means nothing in today's world... unless of course a new Vietnam sees the light of day. Then and only thailand had some importancy for the "free" world... 

6 hours ago, darksidedog said:

And this is exactly how a bunch of shysters managed to get rid of Andrew Drummond.

They piled numerous spurious complaints against him, becasue he was revealing who these con men were, and what they were doing.

Each rubbish complaint required hundres of thousands of baht in bail, and they kept doing it until he ran out of money and had to leave to stay out of jail.

The BBC is known for its impartiality and accurate, well researched journalism.

Thieves do not like being brought into the spotlight, and this is simply an attempt to shut Jonathan up, so they can continue to screw people over.

I agree that Thailands laws on defamation and Computer crimes are utterly absurd and really only benefit, in their current form, predominantly those the laws are supposed to protect the innocent public from.

Sadly, over the last few years the BBC has lost its impartiality and accurate well researched journalism.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Sadly, over the last few years the BBC has lost its impartiality and accurate well researched journalism.

Not to the extent that its reporting in this case was not entirely on the nail.

It reported it correctly, accurately and pointed the finger at those who had even admitted they had done wrong.

I will believe a story from the BBC every time over Fox propaganda, or even the Bangkok Post.

11 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Turds generally are covered over by saffron robes after discovery in LOS

1 minute ago, darksidedog said:

Not to the extent that its reporting in this case was not entirely on the nail.

It reported it correctly, accurately and pointed the finger at those who had even admitted they had done wrong.

I will believe a story from the BBC every time over Fox propaganda, or even the Bangkok Post.

I only read the BBC online news and I don't watch TV. Jonathon Head is biased on the side of Thaksin.

I used to read his reports about Isaan and the UDD and the interviews that he did but I don't remember any that he did with the Democrats even for a balanced report.

I may have missed them in which case I am sorry but that is the way I see his reporting and there wasn't a lot of that either.

3 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Has that Andrew Drummond fella left Thailand? Really? As Fred Flintstone says "Yabba dabba do!" Great news!

2 hours ago, tso310 said:

Didn't they try and get him on similar charges after the aifrport takeover a few years ago. Probably can't repeat what the story he posted said but the BBC moved him to Turkey until it was safe to return.

3 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Has that Andrew Drummond fella left Thailand? Really? As Fred Flintstone says "Yabba dabba do!" Great news!

Andrew Drummond campaigned against those who swindled thousands of OAP out of millions , you are siding with the crooks for what reasons ?

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I only read the BBC online news and I don't watch TV. Jonathon Head is biased on the side of Thaksin.

I used to read his reports about Isaan and the UDD and the interviews that he did but I don't remember any that he did with the Democrats even for a balanced report.

I may have missed them in which case I am sorry but that is the way I see his reporting and there wasn't a lot of that either.

I'm not sure Head's presumed views on Thaksin have much to do with reporting on land fraud cases in Phuket where a lawyer helped swindle one guy (and perhaps others) out of presumably much of his life savings by notarizing his signature when he wasn't even there to sign.

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Nice bit of deflection there.....

Simple question to you and the other fans of the little fuhrer and his minions in green, do you think it is right or wrong what is going on here? not interested in Thaksin or any of that ancient history....

Seems to be Head reported the correct facts about the lawyer operating in shall we say a slightly questionable manner, good well researched journalism I would have thought...

Wasn't Head the bloke who discovered the body parts in the trees after the Buffoons in Brown had finished clearing the area of the bomb in Bkk last year, seem to remember he broke that news first too....

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Twit Nonsense

Jonathon Head's reporting is excellent. And he puts himself in harms way to dig up the truth. Case in point it this case. 

I cant imagine what you read or view but stop the childish dribble