Kindergarten teachers bound and blindfolded five year olds "to teach them to concentrate"

webfact

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Modern teaching aides for Thai teachers. This will help those pesky 5 yr. olds concentrate.

stock-photo-a-character-we-tortured-on-a-bench-torture-139476719.jpg

stock-photo-closeup-of-a-wooden-chair-medieval-torture-with-nails-in-the-back-seat-and-armrests-296285117.jpg

Yep that should do it. 

But keep it to yourself, don't put any ideas into their heads. 

28 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I guess I deserve all the replies after such a open post on me and my wifes different ways to deal with a naughty son. I do think I have a problem and I'm going to do the right thing and see a family counseler. Is there such a service for expats in Bangkok? I work so hard and so does my wife we are neglecting my son's needs. Maybe I should employ a nanny to help. We obviously need help as you all have pointed out. Sorry its a bit off topic.

If only you meant it instead of trying to take the piss.... 

Common assault and restrained against their will by 2 qualified kindergarten teachers against two 5 year olds. So they've agreed to compensate each family Bht20k. So what? It shouldn't be a civil case with just compensation to the families, but a criminal case with possible jail time and a hefty fine.

If they were caught feeding bread to fish in a national park, as occured recently by a farang, a one year imprisonment and or Bht 100,000 fine. 

These teachers will get a short reposting to another school. Pay minimal compensation to the families, and the matter will be closed.. Absolute stupidity of the laws in LOS.... 

5 hours ago, greenchair said:

What I expect is for schools and parents to have a list of approved/clear disciplinary measures that teachers can follow. 

I expect parents to discipline their children to a reasonable standard that they don't cause mayhem at school (because they are "special ")

I expect the schools to provide a support person to deal with disruptive children so the teacher and students can focus on the task of learning. 

I expect the parents of these children to pay for that. 

I expect the schools to provide 1 assistant per 10 kids instead of 1 teacher per 30 kids with no help. 

I expect the teacher to be given reasonable breaks throughout the day. 

I expect parents to realize , it is not the teachers job to teach personal hygiene, how to go to toilet, how to clean your arse, how use manners, how to get along with other children, how to behave yourself, and so on. 

I expect that parents, and schools to stop dumping all the responsibility on the teacher with an attitude of that's your job. 

Because it isn't. 

So  you expect  that  they come  pre educated  in all  facets of life  despite  spending   more  awakened hours in the presence of a  teacher. That  and  although  not  well  enforced  in Thailand  but  rather in the  West which probably  forms   much of  your attitude  the "State" now presumes   more  authority  than parents  when it comes  to  discipline and  attitude!  

7 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

So  you expect  that  they come  pre educated  in all  facets of life  despite  spending   more  awakened hours in the presence of a  teacher. That  and  although  not  well  enforced  in Thailand  but  rather in the  West which probably  forms   much of  your attitude  the "State" now presumes   more  authority  than parents  when it comes  to  discipline and  attitude!  

Western teachers are complaining also. Now that both parents are working teachers are expected to work above and beyond what their job description is. Their main job IMO is to make sure these children finish school numerically and alphabetically literate. With a great deal of support from parents to achieve that. Nowadays, they spend most of the time teaching basic lifeskills and social skills. What's the parents job then? ? Why should the lovely children that parents have taught basic social and life skills miss out on their studies  because the teacher is cleaning shit off the floor from a 6 year old that refuses to use a toilet. Or spending an hour each day explaining to a kid that bites and hits other kids all the time. Why should the naughty ones get all this wonderful time and attention, while the well raised kids sit tapping their fingers quietly waiting to learn. The parents have them for 4 years before kindy. They should understand basic hygiene,social skills , discipline and have a reasonable introduction to learning at home.  If not, the teachers do their best and don't complain. 

9 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Western teachers are complaining also. Now that both parents are working teachers are expected to work above and beyond what their job description is. Their main job IMO is to make sure these children finish school numerically and alphabetically literate. With a great deal of support from parents to achieve that. Nowadays, they spend most of the time teaching basic lifeskills and social skills. What's the parents job then? ? Why should the lovely children that parents have taught basic social and life skills miss out on their studies  because the teacher is cleaning shit off the floor from a 6 year old that refuses to use a toilet. Or spending an hour each day explaining to a kid that bites and hits other kids all the time. Why should the naughty ones get all this wonderful time and attention, while the well raised kids sit tapping their fingers quietly waiting to learn. The parents have them for 4 years before kindy. They should understand basic hygiene,social skills , discipline and have a reasonable introduction to learning at home.  If not, the teachers do their best and don't complain. 

They have some of these same problems in the prison system, where some of these kids might end up.

On 24/02/2017 at 10:47 PM, Artisi said:

She is lucky she is not my wife and as for yourself, you must be a really screwed up person allowing it. 

10 hours ago, Artisi said:

If only you meant it instead of trying to take the piss.... 

I have commited no crime and neither my wife. Will you please leave us alone. Thankyou.

15 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Why are you telling me, why don't you talk to my wife.

Could it be because I don't know either you or your wife personally, nor do I know where you live. I was addressing you because you were the person who posted on the topic and not your wife.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Could it be because I don't know either you or your wife personally, nor do I know where you live. I was addressing you because you were the person who posted on the topic and not your wife.

I chased my kid with the wooden spoon. one day I put soap in his mouth for using a really bad word in a really bad way. He really tried it on when he was younger. 

Now he is almost a teenager and I can't catch the little sod. But he is such a lovely child now. Top marks in every subject, polite, lovely comments from the teachers. His only problem now is he always has to help and teach the other kids instead of increasing his own knowledge. The parents that criticised me for being strict now have serious  teenage problems to deal with and it's too late to fix it. 

Their whole families are suffering. 

1 hour ago, greenchair said:

That's right. A lot of the problem kids do end up in prison. 

All for the want of a bit of discipline. Their lives are ruined. 

All for the want of a teacher who tried to help them, rather than one who assaulted them.

13 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Then you clearly have not read the OP.

From the OP " They said they administered the punishment to teach the little ones to concentrate in class"

The teachers admitted that what they did was administered as a punishment, because the 5 year olds could not concentrate.

In effect they punished children for doing something they do not have the maturity to do.

Rubbish, I teach 3 year olds that can sit nicely sing a few songs, listen to a story, recite a few flashcards for 20 minutes. My 5 year olds can do 45 minutes. 

My son was reading short books at 5. My friends daughter is 4 and she reads passages from the bible. 

I think the child was quite naughty, the 2 teachers tied her up for a bit of a lark and took a picture. 

That child does not look at all stressed. In hindsight, it was not the wisest thing to do. It really depends how long they taped the child up. 

31 minutes ago, greenchair said:

Rubbish, I teach 3 year olds that can sit nicely sing a few songs, listen to a story, recite a few flashcards for 20 minutes. My 5 year olds can do 45 minutes. 

My son was reading short books at 5. My friends daughter is 4 and she reads passages from the bible. 

I think the child was quite naughty, the 2 teachers tied her up for a bit of a lark and took a picture. 

That child does not look at all stressed. In hindsight, it was not the wisest thing to do. It really depends how long they taped the child up. 

Rubbish indeed.

The two teachers abused the children for doing something they could not do.

Most children, taught properly, can read short books at 5 years old.

Though, of course, one has to be careful they are not "barking at print" and can actually explain and analyse [appropriate to age] their reading material.

I agree however it wasn't wise.

It was gross stupidity and bullying.

They are unfit to teach. 

They either need retraining or a change in career. 

Edited by Bluespunk

28 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Rubbish indeed.

Though, of course, one has to be careful they are not "barking at print" and can actually explain and analyse [appropriate to age] their reading material.

They are unfit to teach. 

Or a good kicking from an irate parent ..

24 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Rubbish indeed.

They are unfit to teach. 

Of course they could do it. 

There are 28 other kids in the class that could do it . 

Putting tape on the kids mouth has been done since the first schools opened, it really isn't something new. 

Unfit to teach , bullying ,is an over the top analogy. 

1 minute ago, greenchair said:

Of course they could do it. 

There are 28 other kids in the class that could do it . 

Putting tape on the kids mouth has been done since the first schools opened, it really isn't something new. 

Unfit to teach , bullying ,is an over the top analogy. 

Concentration is down to maturity. 

If the children are not ready they cannot do it.

You certainly cannot punish them into doing it.

Still at least you now are not claiming it was a joke.

Bullying describes exactly what was happening.

They are unfit to teach.

Nothing those two teachers did was wrong. No physical pain/abuse, and no mental abuse. And the teacher who had the class blindfolded while playing a game, nothing wrong there either. Have none of you ever played "Pin the tail on the donkey", or had a swing at a pinata at a birthday party? Tell me, where's the abuse? And to answer one of your questions before you ask... no, I wouldn't be angry if they were my kids. I'd commend the teachers for handling the situation properly. Standing in the corner, sitting for a time-out, having your recess taken away, etc... traumatizes kids. Those things would piss me off.

Let's see how long this post stays before sensitive little Scotty deletes it as trolling, lol.

Edited by David Sturtz

14 hours ago, greenchair said:

I do  not  dispute much of  what you state is quite true. But I contend that  most of the problem does not realistically  rest with the  parents. A systematic and incremental imposition of  social engineering which  has  and is supplanting parental rights with socially legislated and  enforced application. The "human  rights" lobby has  succeeded to the appeal of a separate  agenda. Mainstream education is  no longer  about education above or  beyond  basic literacy  and numeracy. 

The  contradiction  now  exists where parents are deemed accountable while their rights have  been marginalized. With  ensuing generations compounding  the problem due to the lack of social balance.

People  do not  need  to  be educated  to  be  clever in maximizing manipulation!

2 hours ago, David Sturtz said:

Nothing those two teachers did was wrong. No physical pain/abuse, and no mental abuse. And the teacher who had the class blindfolded while playing a game, nothing wrong there either. Have none of you ever played "Pin the tail on the donkey", or had a swing at a pinata at a birthday party? Tell me, where's the abuse? And to answer one of your questions before you ask... no, I wouldn't be angry if they were my kids. I'd commend the teachers for handling the situation properly. Standing in the corner, sitting for a time-out, having your recess taken away, etc... traumatizes kids. Those things would piss me off.

Let's see how long this post stays before sensitive little Scotty deletes it as trolling, lol.

Don't take up teaching.

On 2/25/2017 at 3:18 PM, Artisi said:

Wouldn't have restrained me, and any repercussions following involving the child would have been dealt with very seriously. Child abuse does not sit well with me and forcing a child to stand in the sun for 2 hours would certainly have resulted in a very tough response - the teacher involved would never think about repeating it ever again. 

Of course, you are right but violence against a school teacher is a big no-no here.

Well for one, as explained to me, the child will get worthless grades by all teachers and that is the end of her education.

The child herself did not want me to go to the school and was begging me not to do anything.

That said, I still feel bad about it after so many years.

Also, you get violent with a teacher you will end up in the (Thai) slammer.

Schools and teachers here, in Thailand, are powerfull and can and will do what they want.

We are powerless to do something about it.

Cutting the hair of girls who do not do what the teacher says.

Slapping boys with a bamboo stick on their behind as punishment, the list is endless.

BUT, in my time at grade school, long ago in Europe, the teacher slapped our hands with a steel ruler as punishment and that was Western Europe.

I won't name the country.

3 hours ago, bandito said:

Of course, you are right but violence against a school teacher is a big no-no here.

Well for one, as explained to me, the child will get worthless grades by all teachers and that is the end of her education.

The child herself did not want me to go to the school and was begging me not to do anything.

That said, I still feel bad about it after so many years.

Also, you get violent with a teacher you will end up in the (Thai) slammer.

Schools and teachers here, in Thailand, are powerfull and can and will do what they want.

We are powerless to do something about it.

Cutting the hair of girls who do not do what the teacher says.

Slapping boys with a bamboo stick on their behind as punishment, the list is endless.

BUT, in my time at grade school, long ago in Europe, the teacher slapped our hands with a steel ruler as punishment and that was Western Europe.

I won't name the country.

This is Thailand and there are ways and means to handle all situations and perceived problems. 

Teachers should not never go overboard when punishing the child. I suggest setting up cctv cameras in classrooms so that if there is a disruptive child that the teacher cant handle then just show it to the parents n tell them if they cannot discipline their own child to behave in class, then the school cannot do it either n have to suspend the child for safety n protection of all parties involved.