Cutting in Front, How to Say in Thai

kokesaat

An article in today's BP mentions a common misspelling by Thai students for a word that mean 'cutting in front', "sak".  According to the article, the word is correctly spelled with ทร but many students spell it with ซ

I've tried all the variations I can think of 

ทรัก ทราก ทรัค ทราค etc, but all my dictionaries come up shooting blanks.  

Does anyone know what the word is supposed to be?

The title of the article was " Grade 6 students fail in Thai essay writing "

errm cutting something a bit painful maybe :blink:

Cut&gt.ขลิบ cutting> การขลิบ Perfectly good Thaiกฤษ Can you say for sure that Thais haven't learnt it?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

edit: I had to alter the spelling after looking it up in the RID and ขลิบ is to เย็บ for appearance or to prevent ลุ่ย so I guess that ขลิบ if it has changed meaning, meant to make a hem on a piece or cloth.

Bit OT, but in motoring terms, the phrase used is ตัดหน้า - when someone cuts in front of you too close.

It's one of the exhortations put on traffic boards by the police, along with not speeding and not driving when drunk.:saai:

Edited by RickBradford

2 hours ago, RickBradford said:

Bit OT, but in motoring terms, the phrase used is ตัดหน้า - when someone cuts in front of you too close.

It's one of the exhortations put on traffic boards by the police, along with not speeding and not driving when drunk.:saai:

I think it makes complete sense as หน้า ข้างหน้า can mean in front. When we tell the photocopier we want both sides copying we say หน้าหงัง back and front.

i'm sure I've heard บาดหน้า also which means overtake and cut in front

Of course there's cut across too as in foolish motorbikes crossing the road in front of us, can we say รถตัดข้าม I doubt it! 

13 hours ago, bannork said:
13 hours ago, bannork said:

i'm sure I've heard บาดหน้า also which means overtake and cut in front

Of course there's cut across too as in foolish motorbikes crossing the road in front of us, can we say รถตัดข้าม I doubt it! 

ปาดหน้า (with a ป.ปลา) indeed means cutting in front.  ปาด can be roughly translated as "sweep" as it implies a sweeping, sideway, motion. 

As for cut across, a common expression is "(insert a verb) ตัดหน้า".  

- ขี่มอเตอร์ไซค์ตัดหน้า

- วิ่งตัดหน้า

Coincidentally I met a taxi driver today who tried to overtake me on the inside while I was filtering on Nawamin Rd. from Ladplacow. Big abrasion on both doors. เบียด เสียด แทรก all seem to fit the situation when a motorcylist aims for the gap.
Incidentally in English I would describe the taxi driver as a motorcyclist and I think that people would understand that he was driving a car as if it were a motorcycle, it isn't so easy to say that in Thai.
If I were consulting a Thai native speaker I would start out with this: คนนี้กำลังขับรถแท็กซี่เป็นอาชีพแต่ในจิดใจเข้ายังเป็นคนขี่มอเตอร์ไซค์อยู่ and see what they come up with, is it enough for anyone here?

39 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Coincidentally I met a taxi driver today who tried to overtake me on the inside while I was filtering on Nawamin Rd. from Ladplacow. Big abrasion on both doors. เบียด เสียด แทรก all seem to fit the situation when a motorcylist aims for the gap.
Incidentally in English I would describe the taxi driver as a motorcyclist and I think that people would understand that he was driving a car as if it were a motorcycle, it isn't so easy to say that in Thai.
If I were consulting a Thai native speaker I would start out with this: คนนี้กำลังขับรถแท็กซี่เป็นอาชีพแต่ในจิดใจเข้ายังเป็นคนขี่มอเตอร์ไซค์อยู่ and see what they come up with, is it enough for anyone here?

เขาขับแทกซี่ซอกแซก

where ซอกแซก means to drive between lanes in the way of a motorcycle

14 hours ago, BayLay said:

ปาดหน้า (with a ป.ปลา) indeed means cutting in front.  ปาด can be roughly translated as "sweep" as it implies a sweeping, sideway, motion. 

As for cut across, a common expression is "(insert a verb) ตัดหน้า".  

- ขี่มอเตอร์ไซค์ตัดหน้า

- วิ่งตัดหน้า

Alas I assumed it was บาด as in cut!

9 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Thanks CaptHaddock, I am not sure now that if I described a car driver as a motorcyclist it would work in England.

I shall try out ซอกแซก when I get the chance.

Here's answer that we can regard as authoritative, coming as it does from my teacher:

เขาขับแทกซี่ปาดซ้ายปาดขวา

ซอกแซก (vowels are short) can be either positive or negative as it turns out.  So, that phrasing does not express disapproval.  ปาดซ้ายปาดขวา has only the negative connotation that is called for here.