Brit tourist mysteriously found dead in Thailand sent chilling last messages about 'scary guy in face mask'

rooster59

And yet another tourist turns up dead in suspicious circumstances.
It is becoming almost as common as reading of another road accident.
I note his brother wants a full and proper investigation, with nothing swept under the carpet.
I sincerely hope the truth does come out, but Thailand is very, very good at a short sharp investigation, with conclusions that save them face.
Suicide, accident, misadventure, overdose..............Never murder, unless there really is no other option.

True, like the 'suicide' a while back when the 'victim' had his hands tied behind his back!!!
Houdini , or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

And yet another tourist turns up dead in suspicious circumstances.

It is becoming almost as common as reading of another road accident.

I note his brother wants a full and proper investigation, with nothing swept under the carpet.

I sincerely hope the truth does come out, but Thailand is very, very good at a short sharp investigation, with conclusions that save them face.

Suicide, accident, misadventure, overdose..............Never murder, unless there really is no other option.

Or there are a couple of Burmese sitting around doing nothing and someone needs to cover their arse. 

4 minutes ago, DILLIGAD said:

True, like the 'suicide' a while back when the 'victim' had his hands tied behind his back!!!
Houdini , or what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A minor trick compared to some of the suicides contrived in Thailand. 

4 minutes ago, bluebluewater said:

"  He knew Thailand well . . . .  "

I think maybe not that well.   I hate it for this young man but the cause of death was not behaving responsibly in a very dangerous county while attending an event that make it even more dangerous.

"...in a very dangerous county while attending an event that make it even more dangerous."

You may be trying to make a point, but Thailand is definitely not "a very dangerous country".

I think maybe a holiday in Somalia, Syria, Pakistan or most of central Africa might be higher on the danger scale than Thailand.

It can be dangerous if you are naive or go to the wrong places at the wrong time with the wrong attitude.  The danger level in Thailand is no more than the United States, where the same advisory exists. 99% of Thailand is considered safe by the thousands of expats who choose to make it their home. The 1% is where most of the trouble can happen to tourists and others..

http://www.atlasandboots.com/most-dangerous-countries-in-the-world-ranked/

I wonder when the Island will be declared Magic mushroom Full moon party capital of the world. 

Why is the place not cleaned up? I mean everyone knows what is going on there and the full moon parties are infamous. Just google it. 

Rest in peace .

6 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

"...in a very dangerous county while attending an event that make it even more dangerous."

You may be trying to make a point, but Thailand is definitely not "a very dangerous country".

I think maybe a holiday in Somalia, Syria, Pakistan or most of central Africa might be higher on the danger scale than Thailand.

It can be dangerous if you are naive or go to the wrong places at the wrong time with the wrong attitude.  The danger level in Thailand is no more than the United States, where the same advisory exists. 99% of Thailand is considered safe by the thousands of expats who choose to make it their home. The 1% is where most of the trouble can happen to tourists and others..

http://www.atlasandboots.com/most-dangerous-countries-in-the-world-ranked/

"I think maybe a holiday in Somalia, Syria, Pakistan or most of central Africa might be higher on the danger scale than Thailand".

Who is traveling to these holiday hot spots?? Are they holiday locations?

1 minute ago, bangkok101 said:

"I think maybe a holiday in Somalia, Syria, Pakistan or most of central Africa might be higher on the danger scale than Thailand".

Who is traveling to these holiday hot spots?? Are they holiday locations?

That wasn't my point. Thailand is not considered "a very dangerous country". 

Thailand is no more "dangerous" than Singapore, Malaysia, Laos, Myanmar & Philippines who all enjoy large tourism numbers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/dangerous-countries-world-tourists-travel-international-2017-1 

This dangerous Thailand tag does get tiresome.

-People are a danger to themself-(full stop)

Just because certain illicit things are easier to come by here and alcohol is cheap, doesnt mean the country is dangerous.

Ultimately its the person who makes the choice to take,mix,injest whatever and they choose to do these things at locations that carry more risk.

Ask any expat that been here for 10+ years with zero trouble.

They will tell you its the LEAST dangeous place in the world.

Once again it comes down to choices and positions you allow yourself in.

H

2 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Just read about this on Sky News .....

The picture of Thailand of late ain't that pretty now....

Koh Pangnan is not Thailand nor is Pattaya for that matter. Sensible people avoid such places and enjoy a safe, nice time in Thailand.

7 minutes ago, gamini said:

Koh Pangnan is not Thailand nor is Pattaya for that matter. Sensible people avoid such places and enjoy a safe, nice time in Thailand.

I agree gamini. Thousands of youngsters  visit KP  every year with no problems. They see it as a must go too place. But as you say there are far more nicer places to visit 

I spent a week on Phangan when I was 37 (2005).

I had NO IDEA about the full moon parties until I got there.

I wanted absolutely nothing to do with the thumping loud music (Yes, just happened to be a full moon while I was there). Luckily I was staying on Had Leela beach, but the noise was still almost unbearable from 300-400 yards away at Had Rin.

You could not pay me enough to go to a full moon party, at that age & this guy was 38.

Maybe it was his first time out???

RIP to poor fella.

49 minutes ago, bamukloy said:

Ask any expat that been here for 10+ years with zero trouble.

They will tell you its the LEAST dangeous place in the world.

They'd be wrong.  And sadly, you can't ask all the guys who came here and didn't survive.

Safety stats are published on the order of annual (unnatural) deaths per 100,000 and even a dangerous place comes in at 100 or less.  So one guy (or 10 guys') experience doesn't really amount to a hill of beans.  Nor do their perceptions.  Except to make them feel better about where they live.

Good thing, though- there are statistics published all over the interweb, and none of them paint a glowing picture of Thailand's safety culture.  It's still on the order of 50-100 annual deaths per 100,000.  Which means most of us will be unaffected.  But it's still pretty dangerous in the rankings by country (and by tourist destination).

Edited by impulse

On a recent visa border bounce, it seemed the topic of conversation in the van was always about how to get high,where they got their drugs, how to get high and where to do it and not get caught.

The conversations among the Western farang's was always about drugs and how easy they were to get and consume here on Samui and Kow Phangnan. Many extended their stay on the island because of the easily obtainable drugs, no  problem if they get caught.

It is this mentality that causes the majority of the "unexplained deaths and disappearances" here in "The Kingdom".

As long as it this easy to get these with no fear of retribution. It will never stop. Ban them from entry to "The Kingdom" for life and report the reason for their deportation to their respective government agencies.

WE have enough problems as it is. Keep them out Forever never to return.

You might jump to the conclusion that the guy took mushrooms and Ritalin and then drank booze some of which may have been spiked with something, it is an even bigger assumption to say he took the Ritalin. He just says that got the stuff. As for him having been murdered, "scary guy with a mask" and his statement that his drink had been spiked could be the mushrooms altering his perceptions or could have been just that, a scary guy with a mask appearing after he'd had his drink spiked or any combo of those elements. In any case, we only have what he texted to go on which may or may not correspond to  what actually happened to the guy.  Ritalin is not known to have any fatal effects when mixed with alcohol and/or mushrooms, if indeed they were just mushrooms with nothing else added so it really does seem there was something beyond his own drug mixing that did him in. 

4 hours ago, bamukloy said:

If they found the guy had actually died from drugs it would be all over the news by now

But its getting onto about 2 weeks after the event and still no update or autopsy results released.

Quite often it takes an inquest to confirm cause of death, but only after remains have been repatriated into the home coroners jurisdiction...

Edited by evadgib

4 hours ago, bamukloy said:

If they found the guy had actually died from drugs it would be all over the news by now

But its getting onto about 2 weeks after the event and still no update or autopsy results released.

that in itself does not sound good.

His body was found 6 days ago, not 2 weeks ago.  2 weeks ago he was still sending drugged up messages.

3 hours ago, DaveE13 said:

OK I thought you meant this guy.  

It said in the article his brother said he had visited Thailand over 10 times. He wasn't a kid or backpacker on his first adventure to Thailand. He knew the risk mixing booze and chucking all sorts of drugs down his neck

RIP mate

Well, that would not necessarily make him a hooligan; just a yahoo.  In case you are unfamiliar with that term, it refers to someone who makes unwise choices and/or acts a fool