Is It Safe To Go In Penang?

Hi!

With the conflict in South Thailand, I would like to know if it's safe to go in Penang by train from Bangkok!

Is there another consulate or embassy around Thailand that they allow easily a Non Immigrant O Visa multiple entries to a foreingn married to a Thai?

I'm from Canada so that's for sure that I'm looking to don't have to come in my country to apply for this visa!

That's a little far!:-)

I've heard also about Brisbane!

Does anyone knows how much can cost to go there from Bangkok?

Thanks!

Froggy

I should imagine that Penang itself is safe enough,

but you might want to think about flying there!!

The problem with Brisbane or Perth is that you may need a visa to enter Asutralia as well. Check out the internet for visa requirement for you nationality, some countries can get the clearance on the Internet.

its perfectly safe until something happens that makes it unsafe.

who knows if its safe or not?

nobody probably.

Yes,

Nobody can predit what is going to happen tomorrow but curently is very safe travel from Bkk to Penang.

You can fly direct from Bkk to Hatyai and take a taxi to Malaysian border and proceed to penang or you can take a bus from south bound coach to hatyai and after that you can take a taxi van(10 peoples) that travelling from hatyai to penang everyday.

The road from Hatyai to penang is perfectly very safe and I assure you.There are certain sector in the south having problems that you have to avoid to go there at this current situations.

If I can be any assistant I am willing to give my advise to all those who are not clear off.

It's safe by train, the only real place to worry is south of Hat Yai.

You might want to use a qualifier such as 'relatively safe' when you make such a statement. Search Google "hat yai bomb" in case you don't remember the recent past.

I have just become member after lurking in this forum for some months. I am from Singapore. Fiancée is a Thai.

I have been riding from Singapore to Hatyai (via NS highway then Highway 4) ever since (and years before) violent resufaced in the South in Jan this year. My experience is that the South is still pretty safe, nevertheless tourism has taken its toll.

I will be going to the Hatyai this Friday (same day as PM Thaksin) to fetch my fiancée who is currently 5 months pregnant. Will keep this forum posted on the situation in hatyai after I return next week.

My hunch is that many non-muslim Malaysians are still visiting the South via Sadao, though it is not reported in the news. In any case, the insurgents are mostly in Yala, Patanni and Narathiwat. Songkhla should be safe lah...relatively speaking.

There's another option to Penang for the twitchy - namely flying. Thai Air does a daily evening flight from BKK - PEN that comes in at somewhere around 8,000 i.e. a helluva lot cheaper than Oz, or other distant options. More expensive than Singapore granted, but a lot nicer place to visit and from reports, friendlier staff in Penang. Only danger in Penang are the kateoeys on Chulia street - where do they get 'em? :o

I have been to Hatyai and now back in singapore, by road. I do not know how safe is safe. And I guess many people find it unsafe. There's a drop in tourist level in Hatyai. Personally, I do not find security a big concern probably because I don't look like a tourist when I'm there.

If anybody is crossing into the Malaysia border, be prepared for a more stringent check at the immigration.