Many constructions are left half finished since Russians left . very sad.

swissmaninthailand

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

Helps if you can read Norwegian. Then one can more easily do their due diligence. 

An example: https://www.h-avis.no/haugesund/naringsliv/nyheter/taper-en-halv-million/s/2-2.921-1.5671794

you don't need to read Norwegian because you can simply translate the link using Google

one of the editors of that publication Gaute-Håkon Bleivik sent me this hyperlink last year with a lot more information.

http://www.h-avis.no/sok/?q=kurt+svendheim

On 6/13/2017 at 9:40 PM, Asiantravel said:

" and I can get my money back when I sell in another 10 years time "

just looking at what is happening around the world now I wouldn't be betting on that. Just looking at employment patterns, totally stagnant wages etc I would be seriously worried who will be able to even afford a condominium in Pattaya in 10 years time or who will be remotely interested in renting one of these places?

Maybe you will have more grounds for optimism after the estimated 17,000 vacant condominiums being offered for salehave been mopped up.

Pats could be unlivable in 10 years for most westerners if it isn't already!

It's degrading fast and furious IMO!

I reckon some of us need to start looking for another city or even another country (in my case) and  a new culture!

Asiantravel has a point on his 10-year predictions on "affordability". I will add "lack of interest " on top of that.

In 10 years not too many people will be interested in "inwasting" $300K-600k on a condo(decent size& decent area) in a degraded city if the decision-makers don't do something about it very soon. I mean real soon!

10 years?

Sewer popping everywhere now and flowing into the sea.Infrastructure is in shambles. The sea water turns "turquoise" quite more often than before and you know what that means. Traffic will even get worse than how horrible it is now.

Unfortunately I am also a condo owner.

I hope the ones in charge read all these or someone mentions to them and they do something about it soon.

Edited by pattayadude

I am NOT saying any person or company is doing this in Pattaya. However, here is one way the 10% rental return schema works.

1. a property is sold by vendor A to buyer B, at an inflated price, for example 3m baht, but the property is really only worth 2M baht.

2. B is promised 10% return on his unit - basically 300K baht or 25K per month/

3. On the open market, the property can't be rented for 25K/mo. but can be rented for 20k/mo.

4. So B gets 25K a month, 20k from the renter and 5K from vendor A.

5. Everything goes well for 2 or 3 years, until A sells all of the properties in the complex.

6. Maybe a year or 2 later A, dissolves the company or files for bankruptcy or the rental promise/deal expires, let's say in 5 years.

7. Buyer B is left holding a condo worth maybe 2M baht 5 years after purchase.Maybe after 5 years of renting, it needs to be refurbished/renovated and is only worth 1.8m, or maybe inflation and property prices have risen it is now saleable at 2.2m. But for sure it won't be saleable at 3M+. Another major factor will be all the other suckers trying to unload when the deal stops.

In summary, after 5 years, A gets to keep ((3m - (5*12*5k))= 2.7m baht for a condo that had a market value of 2m. 

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

I am NOT saying any person or company is doing this in Pattaya. However, here is one way the 10% rental return schema works.

1. a property is sold by vendor A to buyer B, at an inflated price, for example 3m baht, but the property is really only worth 2M baht.

2. B is promised 10% return on his unit - basically 300K baht or 25K per month/

3. On the open market, the property can't be rented for 25K/mo. but can be rented for 20k/mo.

4. So B gets 25K a month, 20k from the renter and 5K from vendor A.

5. Everything goes well for 2 or 3 years, until A sells all of the properties in the complex.

6. Maybe a year or 2 later A, dissolves the company or files for bankruptcy or the rental promise/deal expires, let's say in 5 years.

7. Buyer B is left holding a condo worth maybe 2M baht 5 years after purchase.Maybe after 5 years of renting, it needs to be refurbished/renovated and is only worth 1.8m, or maybe inflation and property prices have risen it is now saleable at 2.2m. But for sure it won't be saleable at 3M+. Another major factor will be all the other suckers trying to unload when the deal stops.

In summary, after 5 years, A gets to keep ((3m - (5*12*5k))= 2.7m baht for a condo that had a market value of 2m. 

Wot about C in all this?  Basically, those figures of yours are a crock of shit, anyone asking 20-25 k a month for anything will be waiting a long long time, fact is forever,but there are screwballs around I guess

• Like 2

Wot about C in all this?  Basically, those figures of yours are a crock of shit, anyone asking 20-25 k a month for anything will be waiting a long long time, fact is forever,but there are screwballs around I guess

The 20-25k was probably just a simple example but what he is suggesting sounds plausible based on what I've seen.
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2017 at 9:52 AM, teddog said:

I believe that 20-25 is the going rate at The Markland on Beach Road near soi one.  Don't care for the place myself.

Supachai Panitchpakdi the former head of the World Trade Organisation is inferring the truth is not being told about the state of the property sector in Thailand

Supachai worried about Thailand’s economy,  urges government to tell people the truth

He also expressed concern about a potential bubble in the property sector. When the private sector invests too much in only one sector there could be the risk of a bubble as residential units are oversupplied, he warned.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/business/30315478

Our doomsayers and deathwatchers, and their acolytes, should all watch this video of a motorbike trip from Jomtien to Pattaya in 1994:

It was in the heyday of the great Golden Egg Layers, the quality tourists, i.e., the "naughty mongers," the economic powerhouses behind Pattaya's now-vanished prosperity, the great jobs creators, who were "put off" and left for Cambodia etc. where they're wanted. It was before visa fees had risen, the Big Bang that sent Thailand back to the Stone Age. Before the crash of 1997. Before the Perpetual Pattaya Death Spiral!

So then booming Pattaya had no abandoned or unfinished buildings. No shophouses were closed. No cracks in the clean streets or sidewalks. Walking and jogging, recently whinged about by one of our members who's been unable to jog for probably decades, on the promenade was then so easy. No motorbikes were parked on that promenade. No delicate aesthetic sensibilities were offended by unsightly clutter. What a paradise.

Ha! What a TON of closed shophouses everywhere. Unfinished buildings. Dirt & cracks. Cars, even boats, parked on & blocking the promenade. HUGE mess on the beach side as you approach WS. Traffic. Cop enforcing a one-way. Whole place looks like it really was in an economic depression! Now compare Pattaya as it is today after 20 years of dire prophecy (starting in the Pattaya Mail). HUH? Now I'm beginning to lose some faith in our doomsters. IS IT POSSIBLE WE HAVE BEEN MISLEAD?

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, JSixpack said:

Our doomsayers and deathwatchers, and their acolytes, should all watch this video of a motorbike trip from Jomtien to Pattaya in 1994:

It was in the heyday of the great Golden Egg Layers, the quality tourists, i.e., the "naughty mongers," the economic powerhouses behind Pattaya's now-vanished prosperity, the great jobs creators, who were "put off" and left for Cambodia etc. where they're wanted. It was before visa fees had risen, the Big Bang that sent Thailand back to the Stone Age. Before the crash of 1997. Before the Perpetual Pattaya Death Spiral!

So then booming Pattaya had no abandoned or unfinished buildings. No shophouses were closed. No cracks in the clean streets or sidewalks. Walking and jogging, recently whinged about by one of our members who's been unable to jog for probably decades, on the promenade was then so easy. No motorbikes were parked on that promenade. No delicate aesthetic sensibilities were offended by unsightly clutter. What a paradise.

Ha! What a TON of closed shophouses everywhere. Unfinished buildings. Dirt & cracks. Cars, even boats, parked on & blocking the promenade. HUGE mess on the beach side as you approach WS. Traffic. Cop enforcing a one-way. Whole place looks like it really was in an economic depression! Now compare Pattaya as it is today after 20 years of dire prophecy (starting in the Pattaya Mail). HUH? Now I'm beginning to lose some faith in our doomsters. IS IT POSSIBLE WE HAVE BEEN MISLEAD?

Now compare Pattaya as it is today after 20 years of dire prophecy .

Now, compared to then, it really has become a ****hole.

Thanks for the link. No doubt you are trying to prove that it was worse back then, but all you have done is prove it REALLY WAS BETTER in the 90s. The vdo made me soooooo nostalgic for those days.

The first Beach Rd promenade version with all those lovely shady trees, that were cut down by the wreckers to widen a ROAD for CARS- what a crock of ****!

Interesting to see that the pavements back then are still probably the very same pavers as there are now, and many familiar places still going.

A nice beach where the decrepit and badly designed Bali Hi is now, the pier that was so popular, no car park full of speedboats.

Interesting to remember that before the high roofed baht bus of now, they had the low roof version that really was a pain in the head.

Best thing though, the condo boom hadn't happened. No scam artists trying to push the latest concrete pile of junk to the gullible.

Ha! What a TON of closed shophouses everywhere. Unfinished buildings. Dirt & cracks. Cars, even boats, parked on & blocking the promenade. HUGE mess on the beach side as you approach WS. Traffic. Cop enforcing a one-way. Whole place looks like it really was in an economic depression!

:cheesy:

Those "closed" shophouses had just been built- no tenants yet. The unfinished houses were being BUILT.

as you approach WS

There was NO Walking Street back then.

even boats, parked on & blocking the promenade.

That was only a short while early in the day. Once they'd been launched, they weren't blocking anything.

Not many wanting to use the promenade at that time as most sleeping after an all night party party party.

Whole place looks like it really was in an economic depression!

If you had been there then you would know that isn't true. The place was booming. Loads of mongers and half the number of bars, Little crime as most had jobs. It wasn't till Purachai tried to destroy Pattaya that crime increased dramatically.

Pattaya was a fun place back then, and fun was more important than money. Now, greed is destroying Pattaya faster than the wowsers can close bars.

Of course, one had to be there then to know.

The world really was better back then:

Probably 2 or 3 billion less people destroying the planet,

certainly a few zillion less cars on the roads,

a slower pace of life without all the BS regulations that plague us now,

no PCs or BS "smart" phones, no internet, no facebook, twatter etc ( thank the deity I grew up without that **** ).

Easy to stay a long time in LOS without all the immigration problems there are now.

The people really were more friendly and did smile a lot.

Way less crime in Pattaya.

If I could push a button and change Pattaya back to what it was then, I wouldn't hesitate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thanks for the link. No doubt you are trying to prove that it was worse back then, but all you have done is prove it REALLY WAS BETTER in the 90s. The vdo made me soooooo nostalgic for those days.

The first Beach Rd promenade version with all those lovely shady trees, that were cut down by the wreckers to widen a ROAD for CARS- what a crock of ****!

Interesting to see that the pavements back then are still probably the very same pavers as there are now, and many familiar places still going.

A nice beach where the decrepit and badly designed Bali Hi is now, the pier that was so popular, no car park full of speedboats.

Interesting to remember that before the high roofed baht bus of now, they had the low roof version that really was a pain in the head.

Best thing though, the condo boom hadn't happened. No scam artists trying to push the latest concrete pile of junk to the gullible.

Ha! What a TON of closed shophouses everywhere. Unfinished buildings. Dirt & cracks. Cars, even boats, parked on & blocking the promenade. HUGE mess on the beach side as you approach WS. Traffic. Cop enforcing a one-way. Whole place looks like it really was in an economic depression!

Those "closed" shophouses had just been built- no tenants yet. The unfinished houses were being BUILT.

as you approach WS

That was only a short while early in the day. Once they'd been launched, they weren't blocking anything.

Not many wanting to use the promenade at that time as most sleeping after an all night party party party.

If you had been there then you would know that isn't true. The place was booming. Loads of mongers and half the number of bars, Little crime as most had jobs. It wasn't till Purachai tried to destroy Pattaya that crime increased dramatically.

Pattaya was a fun place back then, and fun was more important than money. Now, greed is destroying Pattaya faster than the wowsers can close bars.

no PCs or BS "smart" phones, no internet, no facebook, twatter etc ( thank the deity I grew up without that **** ).

Easy to stay a long time in LOS without all the immigration problems there are now.

If I could push a button and change Pattaya back to what it was then, I wouldn't hesitate.

To adopt TVF rhetoric, this rant merely reflects the view of Pattaya--and of course of The World itself, as reference to The Global lends such portentousness--in the rose-tinted rear view mirror. 

Except for beer price and bar fines--though they had probably risen since 1984--the video exposes the same faults that today earn all the "downhill" and doom prophecies. Parked cars and boats on the promenade would today elicit righteous howls of driving away tourists, inconveniencing joggers, don't they know, blah blah.

Nope, some of those shop houses had obviously been there awhile. One group of townhouses on Jomtien Hill stayed vacant for years. But even if they'd just been built then, those that have just now been built don't win exemption from the DOOM on the account of "new." Nope, as soon as a shop house is built, the rule is that it must occupied immediately and paying customers seen lined up at the cashier at all times; else, it's failed and why did they build it when we've already got some not yet occupied? Fact is we got at least 10 times more shop houses occupied now than then, plus a helluva lot more business. The economic growth since then has been nothing short of astonishing.

Yep, there were unfinished buildings. Pavements, a common whinge topic, were as bad or worse. LOTS more dirt; and we just hate dirt; no shit in anybody's pants on this forum. WS wasn't WS of course but for those unable to extrapolate, then the intersection of Beach Rd w/ South Pattaya Rd. where begins present-day WS. What a frikkin' mess! Oh, my eyes.

As for the crime rate, it can only be considered in proportion to the vastly expanded population of expats, locals (including non-local Thais whom TAT: TVF won't permit to be called tourists), and tourists. Considering that, it may well have actually decreased substantially. The rose-tinted rear view mirror you see leaves out a lot. Fortunately we do have a contemporary account from 1997, before the financial crisis, referring to even earlier complaints; and it totally contradicts your assessment:

There are two types of articles appearing in the Pattaya Mail with regularity: those where business and political leaders decry the decline in tourism and propose ways to improve the situation; and a steadily increasing number of reports of tourists being insulted, assaulted, drugged, robbed and extorted. . . . Pattaya is being inundated with rude obnoxious thugs who do not care about the city or its visitors. . . . They are driving away the tourists and the income and jobs that they bring. Inevitably, this rabble will win as they reduce everyone to their level of poverty. Meanwhile, tourism to Cambodia is increasing by 50% every six months...[emphasis mine]

Lawrence Neal, "Down on Pattaya," Pattaya Mail, Vol. V No. 5 Friday 31 January 1997 - 6 February 1997

Hence I think our members have plenty of reason to question your objectivity, ignore retroactive excuses that'd never be applied today, and let the video speak for itself.

6 hours ago, JSixpack said:

--in the rose-tinted rear view mirror. 

Except for beer price and bar fines--though they had probably risen since 1984--the video exposes the same faults that today earn all the "downhill" and doom prophecies. Parked cars and boats on the promenade would today elicit righteous howls of driving away tourists, inconveniencing joggers, don't they know, blah blah.

Pavements, a common whinge topic, were as bad or worse. LOTS more dirt;

As for the crime rate, it can only be considered in proportion to the vastly expanded population of expats, locals (including non-local Thais whom TAT: TVF won't permit to be called tourists), and tourists. Considering that, it may well have actually decreased substantially. The rose-tinted rear view mirror you see leaves out a lot. Fortunately we do have a contemporary account from 1997, before the financial crisis, referring to even earlier complaints; and it totally contradicts your assessment:

Lawrence Neal, "Down on Pattaya," Pattaya Mail, Vol. V No. 5 Friday 31 January 1997 - 6 February 1997

Hence I think our members have plenty of reason to question your objectivity, ignore retroactive excuses that'd never be applied today, and let the video speak for itself.

I gave up the saffron glasses long ago, but Pattaya back in the early to mid 90s really was better than now, unless one like expensive concrete buildings and broken projects like the marina.

Perhaps you can't comprehend what

means.

BTW back then I didn't see any "joggers". Most exercise was done elsewhere.

Pavements couldn't have been worse. They were a newer version of the present pavements ie they are the same ones.

The crime rate wasn't a major problem till Purachai came.

That guy is presumably a "journalist". Of course he's making it sound worse than it was. That's what they do, as we are seeing clearly nowadays.

let the video speak for itself.

Let something that flashes past "speak"- I think not. I was there, I walked the beach and the streets. The place was in a building phase. Mess was to be expected.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, morrobay said:

The Pattaya 1994 looks too primitive and boring. The Beach rd was basically a mess. If you like that scene there are shabby towns all over the gulf that look like that now. Would take 2017 over  1994. Now compared to 2004 - Forget about it. Was the best of two worlds.

Pattaya was never like any "shabby town all over the gulf" in Thailand.

1994 was brilliant as long as one wasn't there for the beach or clean roads.

1994/ 2017 Pattaya was/ is a ****hole, but at least in 1994 it was fun ****hole, unlike now. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I gave up the saffron glasses long ago, but Pattaya back in the early to mid 90s really was better than now, unless one like expensive concrete buildings and broken projects like the marina.

means.

Pavements couldn't have been worse. They were a newer version of the present pavements ie they are the same ones.

That guy is presumably a "journalist". Of course he's making it sound worse than it was. That's what they do, as we are seeing clearly nowadays.

let the video speak for itself.

Let something that flashes past "speak"- I think not. I was there, I walked the beach and the streets. The place was in a building phase. Mess was to be expected.

Been coming here since 1971.  Retired here in Naklua a couple of years ago.  I'm an early bird.  Rarely go out at night unless friends are in town.  During the day the only danger I encounter is crossing the street. We "farangs" are a commodity here.  I've heard from reliable sources the word is "not to mess with us."

As it gets later at night danger increases proportionally.  Friends ask me how is living here.  One of my patent answers is you really have to try hard to get into trouble.  Or be a "explode any minute" farang AH.  No shortage there unfortunately.

Being soft spoken and polite really goes a long way here.  I here it works in most places.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, balo said:

Yes you have , Even Songkran looked the same back then 

94 was a great year.  I spent two months up at the Old Medicine Hospital in Chiang Mai.  Got certified to teach Thai Massage.  Great stuff.  I then included it in CME seminars back in the states.  97 was even better I was here when the bhat hit 57 to the dollar for a couple of weeks.

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pattaya was never like any "shabby town all over the gulf" in Thailand.

1994 was brilliant as long as one wasn't there for the beach or clean roads.

1994/ 2017 Pattaya was/ is a ****hole, but at least in 1994 it was fun ****hole, unlike now. 

I agree completely except  it's still fun for me.  And I'm a "day tripper!"  This picture was taken of the Beatles on the balcony of the Sandy Spring Hotel on Soi 13. :intheclub:

Edited by joeyg
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I ain't hung up on expensive concrete buildings but have no particular problems with them either. In some cases, such as the mall, I like them! CPN chose wisely to put it exactly where it is. Increased traffic is the price for that, but deal with it; I do. :) The mess in 1994 as one got closer to the entrance of what became present-day WS was about as bad any from the broken marina and a great inconvenience for walking too.

means.

That video didn't look so early in the day, not early enough for the many walking or jogging at about that hour you see on today's promenade. Also on the video was a traffic tie-up as a truck w/ boat in tow blocked the street to get the boat onto the promenade. Must have been a common daily occurrence. OMG--imagine the screams here if it happened today. And you've ignored the cars parked on the promenade. OMG. Yes, there were joggers but maybe part of the reason you didn't see them is that they found it too inconvenient to jog on the promenade. Besides, there were the strollers being inconvenienced by boats, cars, and mess.

Perhaps the difference was the lack of whinging back then about the pavements--and about so much else. Dunno whether men were more like real men back in them days or it was just that the Pattaya Mail didn't have enough space to print all the whinges and self-important dire prophecies in the Mailbag section.

That guy is presumably a "journalist". Of course he's making it sound worse than it was. That's what they do, as we are seeing clearly nowadays.s to be expected.

Nope, not a journalist (as is obvious), just a letter writer in the Mailbag, an ancestor of our modern TVF whingers & doomsters. Perhaps he was one of the first to utter the dread Cambodia Prophecy, which became one of the tropes in the "killed the golden goose" doomster canon. Purachai didn't get to work until 2001. Here we have an eyewitness in 1997 even referring back to earlier complaints about the crime. . . . a steadily increasing number of reports of tourists being insulted, assaulted, drugged, robbed and extorted. . . . Pattaya is being inundated with rude obnoxious thugs who do not care about the city or its visitors. . . . They are driving away the tourists . . . Complaints about the decline in tourism were appearing in the paper regularly! So it could not have been nearly as rosy as you remember--remember so fondly. :)

Yeah, I'll take a contemporary eyewitness account over your memory.

It's still in a building phase; mess is to be expected now too, e. g., the tunnel mess.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, joeyg said:

This picture was taken of the Beatles on the balcony of the Sandy Spring Hotel on Soi 13.

That is not funny. Some matters of historical accuracy are just too important to joke about!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2017 at 2:28 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

as you approach WS

hats off! couldnt have said better myself.