Importing Car To Thailand

Absolutely in agreement with metisdead. Just don't bother.  I have had  both my Bentleys in storage in my home country for several years now as the cost and difficulty of importing them far outweighs the value that they are  increasing by back home. I did relent and I bought a Range Rover locally 4 years ago but for 12 million, in hindsight I was stupid as it was a huge loss maker but hey, at least I have something decent here as the locally produced 4x4s are nothing but agricultural vehicles in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

After it leaves your shores, the only time that you are likely to see it again is when some custom department Somchai drives it past where you are standing waiting for a bus ....

Truth be told - someone's somewhere driving the car I brought over - after a years battle from every angle & 720,000 baht - I gave it up.....This was with everything approved - until the day I went to get it.....

10 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Truth be told - someone's somewhere driving the car I brought over - after a years battle from every angle & 720,000 baht - I gave it up.....This was with everything approved - until the day I went to get it.....

Pretty standard comment from somebody who's tried to import items here.  It's one of the most corrupt departments here, aside from the police.  Terrible things they do to people.

4 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Pretty standard comment from somebody who's tried to import items here.  It's one of the most corrupt departments here, aside from the police.  Terrible things they do to people.

yes and you only have 3 choices pay, up walk, away or send it back.:shock1:

14 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

The only details I have found is that parts have a 325% tax on them.

My last landlady wanted to buy my BMW 335i but I told her it wasn't worth importing. I was just after a two-seater convertible sports car that are really cheap in the UK about £1750 for a 2004 model with a hard top.

Now the 335i is a bit of a monster too. Had one when I was UK based, sadly had to sell it when I retired at a staggering loss.

grat car though!

From what I've read on the topic, the customs fee will be the least of your problems. I suspect customs inflates the price in hopes you will abandon the car to them so they can keep it.

Perhaps if you have friends in high places you may be able to negotiate a better fee.

An alternative may be if you import to Malaysia and drive it across then back every two months or so.

I'm thinking of importing my car one day but only after negotiating  with high placed officials ahead of time.

18 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

Absolutely in agreement with metisdead. Just don't bother.  I have had  both my Bentleys in storage in my home country for several years now as the cost and difficulty of importing them far outweighs the value that they are  increasing by back home. I did relent and I bought a Range Rover locally 4 years ago but for 12 million, in hindsight I was stupid as it was a huge loss maker but hey, at least I have something decent here as the locally produced 4x4s are nothing but agricultural vehicles in my opinion.

Lol and whats the goods a Chelsea  tractor here?

26 minutes ago, transam said:

My point is it seems you envy those who do.....How can someone like you call a Roller etc a tractor....What do you drive..........?

Envy of what for goodness sake I've driven them all over the years most are over hyped and a terrible drive 

Ps try reading posts a Range rover is not a roller. Range rovers are known in UK as Chelsea tractors why because the rich and famous buy them. Then only use them on a 2 or 3 km school run.

Buy a locally made Japanese anything, run it for a few years for very little running costs and sell it for a reasonable price if it's looked after.  Or throw money down the drain for a sexy badge on the front.  Can't see the point in paying 4 million baht for a 5 series (for example) when it is a 2 million (tops) baht car.

Archived