Importing Car To Thailand

3 hours ago, Gonefortea said:

Envy of what for goodness sake I've driven them all over the years most are over hyped and a terrible drive 

Ps try reading posts a Range rover is not a roller. Range rovers are known in UK as Chelsea tractors why because the rich and famous buy them. Then only use them on a 2 or 3 km school run.

I didn't know that, but must admit l have never heard the term, and l am a Londoner..So still think it's an envy thingy....:stoner:

1 hour ago, transam said:

I didn't know that, but must admit l have never heard the term, and l am a Londoner..So still think it's an envy thingy....:stoner:

Whatever but trust me there's no envy in the slightest. 

No surprise your a Londoner mind

Any expensive 4x4 that is driven in an urban environment as a status symbol (typically for the school run) and will never be driven off-road.
Look, that Chelsea Tractor nearly flattened that kid!

There might be one option, no idea if its feasible or tried:

Companies sell imported cars in Thailand.  You can pick up Lambourghinis, Ferraris, BMWs, Mercedes, etc.  These are imported into Thailand (I don't believe any of those are actually manufactured here).  And the price they retail for resemble the normal price + customs (therefore they are bypassing any possible monkey business at the customs office).

If your car is a make of one of these companies that import their cars here (I.e., if its a Ferrari or maybe Mercedes) perhaps it is possible to contact the company and ask if they can facilitate the import process for you with their next shipment of vehicles.

Since it would then be imported by a dedicated (and large) auto company it should bypass any oddities that might happen in the customs office.

2 hours ago, JayBird said:

Companies sell imported cars in Thailand.  You can pick up Lambourghinis, Ferraris, BMWs, Mercedes, etc.  These are imported into Thailand (I don't believe any of those are actually manufactured here).  And the price they retail for resemble the normal price + customs (therefore they are bypassing any possible monkey business at the customs office).

If your car is a make of one of these companies that import their cars here (I.e., if its a Ferrari or maybe Mercedes) perhaps it is possible to contact the company and ask if they can facilitate the import process for you with their next shipment of vehicles.

Since it would then be imported by a dedicated (and large) auto company it should bypass any oddities that might happen in the customs office.

a range rover is  12.5million here, Lamborghinis, Ferraris, who knows the price, these are grey under the counter imports would they really be interested in a £2000 banger

I think its only possible with new cars. I haven't seen any 2nd hand gray market car in for years. For every new BMW model, the gray market will have it available for sale few weeks after its launched in the UK. The i8 was a especially popular in the gray market. 

Triple check all import fee's/duties have been paid, just cause it has paperwork and a green book means nothing otherwise you might be in for a very expensive surprise.

16 minutes ago, JayBird said:

Could one option be to bring the car in pieces?

Send the chassis.

Various parts.

The engine.

(Separate shipments over the course of a year or so).

Very possible to do but you must consider it will never be legal once re-assembled.

If it was simple - or even marginally do-able - many, many people would have already done so. The lack of success stories sould be grounds enough for you to give up any attempt. Unless money is no problem. Even then - customs are not dumb. Seen it/heard it all before.

4 hours ago, JayBird said:

Could one option be to bring the car in pieces?

Send the chassis.

Various parts.

The engine.

(Separate shipments over the course of a year or so).

Been tried many times....

Many motorcycles have come in that way - many, many, years ago...Possibly a few cars....

They've gotten smarter & track multiple shipments now too....

I've been working on this idea for about 10 years, I am a lover of vintage automobiles and have a Vast collection in the USA, all in Well, needing a bit of love condition.. 

I also have a Benz Wagon in Thailand, True to my nature, an older one, for a very small cost, about USD $1200, I had it restored in the north of Thailand, it took a year, the Guy did beautiful work and I would give anything to be able to bring him a Vintage Pontiac, I have a Dozen of them collected, but even I already did half the work restoring the small parts, locally they won't even talk to me unless I promise to pony up $15,000 or so and that number sure to go up before completion.

All calls and eMails have been either ignored or vaguely replied to, a Temporary import would be the thing, I can easily drive my car to Canada or Mexico and have many times, Europe too, I drove a corvette through England and Holland on Washington Plates, I paid no taxes, I believe it is by international Treaty.

This would be good for Thailand and it's economy, I really am frustrated, there seems to be no way to do this.

Picture 116.jpg

BenzRF Small.jpg

'62 Pontiac Bonneville CV As Found.jpg

CIMG6918.JPG

31 minutes ago, Kohn Ferang said:

I've been working on this idea for about 10 years, I am a lover of vintage automobiles and have a Vast collection in the USA, all in Well, needing a bit of love condition.. 

I also have a Benz Wagon in Thailand, True to my nature, an older one, for a very small cost, about USD $1200, I had it restored in the north of Thailand, it took a year, the Guy did beautiful work and I would give anything to be able to bring him a Vintage Pontiac, I have a Dozen of them collected, but even I already did half the work restoring the small parts, locally they won't even talk to me unless I promise to pony up $15,000 or so and that number sure to go up before completion.

All calls and eMails have been either ignored or vaguely replied to, a Temporary import would be the thing, I can easily drive my car to Canada or Mexico and have many times, Europe too, I drove a corvette through England and Holland on Washington Plates, I paid no taxes, I believe it is by international Treaty.

This would be good for Thailand and it's economy, I really am frustrated, there seems to be no way to do this.

Picture 116.jpg

BenzRF Small.jpg

'62 Pontiac Bonneville CV As Found.jpg

CIMG6918.JPG

W123TE Benz estate by the looks of it. It looks great. I nearly bought one years ago, huge load area, and a good drive. Pontiac looks brilliant, have you got a Studebaker? I would love a Golden Hawk or a Tucker Torpedo in my garage. I'll bet you watch Jay Leno's Garage on Youtube.

I've heard loads of stories about the import problem in Thailand. One was about why they can't have a Grand Prix (or any international car racing) here, as all the cars would have to pay import tax. I don't know if it is true but knowing Thailand I wouldn't be surprised.

8 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

W123TE Benz estate by the looks of it. It looks great. I nearly bought one years ago, huge load area, and a good drive. Pontiac looks brilliant, have you got a Studebaker? I would love a Golden Hawk or a Tucker Torpedo in my garage. I'll bet you watch Jay Leno's Garage on Youtube.

I've heard loads of stories about the import problem in Thailand. One was about why they can't have a Grand Prix (or any international car racing) here, as all the cars would have to pay import tax. I don't know if it is true but knowing Thailand I wouldn't be surprised.

I know of one car that was brought in for either a show, and/or, race....Big "deposit" has to be levied based on the value of the car....

Basically - a year + after the vehicle had been taken back to it's original country the owners were still trying to get their deposit returned....

All paperwork was in order according to the people involved.....

This was happening during the same time I was going through the debacle with my car, so stumbled into the information regarding the one mentioned.....

14 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I know of one car that was brought in for either a show, and/or, race....Big "deposit" has to be levied based on the value of the car....

Basically - a year + after the vehicle had been taken back to it's original country the owners were still trying to get their deposit returned....

All paperwork was in order according to the people involved.....

This was happening during the same time I was going through the debacle with my car, so stumbled into the information regarding the one mentioned.....

This lives near me, I think the owner need to see your resto' man...

Cadi 2.jpg

9 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

This lives near me, I think the owner need to see your resto' man...

Cadi 2.jpg

Think a lot of USA rides are in LOS via the Vietnam thingy....My chum in the UK has a 1938 Willys saloon, was a USA army staff car..

Archived