Appeals Court upholds death penalty for Koh Tao murders

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

"CIFS forensic science officer Worawee Waiyawuth said laboratory testing found traces of Ms Witheridge's DNA on the handle, while her blood was found on the blade.

A full DNA match for David Miller was also found on the handle, along with an incomplete profile for a third male.

Mr Waiyawuth said a quarter of the indicators from one of the suspects matched the partial profile but that did not mean he could be included as a suspect."

So, it did not match. You have a quarter ot he indicators, or 25%. It has to be 99.99999%. Partial profile means absolutely notthing as thousands of people will have a quarter.

Any reasonable person in a REAL court of law will not waste the courts time, with expert witnesses, after the Prosecution witness said the DNA results the police were offering were unreliable.

Should have been all over. But, this was a stitch up and the verdict was predetermined.

The defence did challenge all of the DNA. That was the only evidence, apart from a retracted "confession" beaten out of them, so it would have been pointless them turning up if they didn't.

Sorry about that.

He matched the partial profile that's a fact it could or couldn't of been him, that's why the hoe was not part of the prosecution's case,  

17 minutes ago, DiscoDan said:

He matched the partial profile that's a fact it could or couldn't of been him, that's why the hoe was not part of the prosecution's case,  

Did you even read the CIFS Forensic Officers statement?

He said, and I will write it out for you again, the results "did not mean he could be included as a suspect."

What did you take from that?

I take it to mean DNA is so precise at 99.99999% is that matching a quarter of that says two things.

Firstly, a very large number of people could potentially hit that, so the rate matching was not significant.

More importantly, and this is the one I think you have missed, if it was him they would have had a 99.9999% hit not 25%.

You don't just leave half your DNA behind. Or a quarter in this instance. If there is DNA and it doesn't match you 99.9999%, it isn't possible for it to be you. Innocent!

Thats why DNA is so good. It is used by the defence elsewhere regularly to show, "It couldn"t be him!:"

Edited by darksidedog

3 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Did you even read the CIFS Forensic Officers statement?

He said, and I will write it out for you again, the results "did not mean he could be included as a suspect."

What did you take from that?

I take it to mean DNA is so precise at 99.99999% is that matching a quarter of that says two things.

Firstly, a very large number of people could potentially hit that, so the rate matching was not significant.

More importantly, and this is the one I think you have missed, if it was him they would have had a 99.9999% hit not 25%.

You don't just leave half your DNA behind. Or a quarter in this instance. If there is DNA and it doesn't match you, it isn't possible for it to be you. Innocent!

They were not convicted on the dna on the hoe it was the dna on the victim, you stated there dna did not match the dna on the hoe this is a lie, there was a partial match.

This has been done to death.

The posting public now know about "false news"

and that false news is all about clicks..and clicks=$

No more  80 page threads you guys..people are waking to the B.S

Looks like Thaivisa got sold off at exactly the right time.

Seems the reason there are no longer any long threads is that you guys have to delete 2 out of 3 posts.

It really is such a confusion of facts and fiction that nobody should really post with any firm conclusion. 

Someone may have a gut feeling, but gut feelings can be as wrong as they are right.

Personally, mine is that not all the people party to the murder are behind bars, but hand on heart I can't protest the innocence of the two that are.

5 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

How sad is this...

I Hope the World hears of this and , justice is done.....

Nope , Daily Mail  ,  is banned  in LO Smiles .

15 minutes ago, Dodgydownunder said:

Shame on you, Thailand. Shame. Shame.

Can you really conclude that?

Knowing that "false news" is now actually a recognised phenomenon, how can we know and trust whats actually true and whats fabricated for click bait??

And how long have we been conned for?

Nobody here knows if these guys are guilty or not, really.

Seems that news can now be written like a novel..

Make it2 up as you go as long as there is money (clicks),in it.

4 hours ago, Eligius said:

This travesty of justice cries out for genuine justice. 

It doesn't look as though it is going to come.

For any decent human being, with a sense of real justice, this case has been really, dreadfully painful and heartbreaking to observe. 

I am sure that many of us feel that no word of disgust can express 'adequately' or 'reliably' enough what we feel about the scum who wield such perverted power in this land. 

Yep that IS indeed a fair statement. From the handling of the crime scene, to the absence of any DNA belonging to the accused on the murder weapon. I fail to see how murder was proven beyond a reasonable doubt. I am NOT claiming they didn't do it, I claim that with the absence of any relevant witnesses and the absence of DNA belonging to them, murder has NOT been proven.

2 hours ago, greenchair said:

I wondered when the --they are innocent, let's set up a donation for them would rear it's ugly head. Maybe the funds could be added to the last millions of baht that was donated. 

Oh. ...what's that I hear. ..

That money has disappeared? 

Nice tactic but let's keep on point. Either you know something most don't or you and the other 100%er are being driven by something. Tough position to be in but the numbers do not add up. Open a few more accounts is my advice. Be careful though the search engine in TV is forensically sound, if only the dna evidence was the same!

1 hour ago, elliss said:

Nope , Daily Mail  ,  is banned  in LO Smiles .

Now now Major Ellis more than 1 way to skin a cat. Put that pension to good use and go set up a go Fund me page and let's get you back where you belong  good sir. War it is.

6 hours ago, greenchair said:

Yahoo. Guilty as sin. 

Justice was served for hannah who was left lying on the beach with her brain smashed to bits and violated in the worst possible way. 

I hope people give a thought for her whilst dishing out sympathy for those 2 sods. 

Well done thai police. 

You mean people like Hannah's sister ?

- then there is the Hoe which was missing from the beach from a spot a considerable distance away from the crime scene and yet a certain person was able to conclude from its absence that - first of all it was missing and that it was the murder weapon!!!!!!!!! this was very early in the morning before any investigation had even started - oh and the person that removed the hoe is also now missing along with the Roti seller interpreter - go figure

then we see certain people in a certain bar play acting and making fun  with a makeshift hoe on facebook like it was some big joke and you'll never catch us - disgraceful

How did the headmans brother Mon know the absent hoe was the murder weapon especially since it was missing from the beach before the police even arrived early in the morning - how did he know to go look for it and have it placed "back" under the tree were the police later found it - where is the gardener/handyman that removed it - oh yes gone and his DNA should have been all over it because he used it every day 

3 minutes ago, smedly said:

- then there is the Hoe which was missing from the beach from a spot a considerable distance away from the crime scene and yet a certain person was able to conclude from its absence that - first of all it was missing and that it was the murder weapon!!!!!!!!! this was very early in the morning before any investigation had even started - oh and the person that removed the hoe is also now missing along with the Roti seller interpreter - go figure

then we see certain people in a certain bar play acting and making fun  with a makeshift hoe on facebook like it was some big joke and you'll never catch us - disgraceful

How did the headmans brother Mon know the absent hoe was the murder weapon especially since it was missing from the beach before the police even arrived early in the morning - how did he know to go look for it and have it placed "back" under the tree were the police later found it - where is the gardener/handyman that removed it - oh yes gone and his DNA should have been all over it because he used it every day 

Then there were David's clothes, which were scattered all over the beach in the first crime scene photos, but were neatly folded and placed on a rock (as though he'd carefully got undressed) in the later photos (after Mon and his cop buddy had  rearranged the crime scene to their liking) which were used by the prosecution.

Death penalty upheld in British backpacker case

The Nation

054d7762f5614b33157a730611520ece.jpeg

Zaw Lin (R) and Wai Phyo (Win Zaw Tun) (L)

‘solid’ evidence two Myanmar men killed britons on Koh Tao, rules Court of Appeal

KOH SAMUI: -- The Court of Appeal has upheld the death penalty against two Myanmar migrant workers for one of the most shocking crimes in Thailand’s history – the violent murders of two British backpackers on the resort island of Koh Tao.

David Miller, 24, and Hannah Witheridge, 23, were fatally beaten on the beach on September 15, 2014. Witheridge was also raped.

The gruesome crime made headlines in Thailand and across the world.

Police arrested defendant Zaw Lin on Koh Tao – a part of Surat Thani province – about two weeks after the crime took place. Wai Phyo (Win Zaw Tun), the second defendant, was later arrested at a pier in Surat Thani town.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30307669

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-02

6 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Nice tactic but let's keep on point. Either you know something most don't or you and the other 100%er are being driven by something. Tough position to be in but the numbers do not add up. Open a few more accounts is my advice. Be careful though the search engine in TV is forensically sound, if only the dna evidence was the same!

I don't think you understood my post. I wasn't opening an account. 

Someone else was. 

You are right about one thing though. The numbers in the last fund me page did not add up. 

All the lawyers were free. The one expert witness from Australia was free. Why would I open an account. those 2 are exactly where they deserve to be. 

As the nation quoted from the judge, the verdict was based on all the evidence as a whole not a single piece of evidence. 

I accept by itself none of the evidence would hold up. Which give a few pickings for the defense. 

As a whole, it's overwhelming. 

They were at the scene. 

They left their wine bottle at the scene. 

They left their shoes at the scene. 

Their dna was in hannah. 

They went back to the scene at 5am to clean up. 

They went for a swim in the rain  (to clean up).

They had the victims phone and lied about it. 

I hope they appeal, because cannot have reduction in sentence until all appeals are finished. That should add a few years to their sorry asses. 

Edited by greenchair
wrong spelling

31 minutes ago, greenchair said:

As the nation quoted from the judge, the verdict was based on all the evidence as a whole not a single piece of evidence. 

I accept by itself none of the evidence would hold up. Which give a few pickings for the defense. 

As a whole, it's overwhelming. 

They were at the scene. 

They left their wine bottle at the scene. 

They left their shoes at the scene. 

Their dna was in hannah. 

They went back to the scene at 5am to clean up. 

They went for a swim in the rain  (to clean up).

They had the victims phone and lied about it. 

I hope they appeal, because cannot have reduction in sentence until all appeals are finished. That should add a few years to their sorry asses. 

Yet their DNA was NOT on the murder weapon, murder is therefore not proven beyond a reasonable doubt. We shall refrain from commenting on the actual dna samples that were submitted and the way it was collected processed and stored. Overwhelming evidence this is not, that much is certain.

A classic example of how not to handle a murder case. Let's not forget that the rights of the defendants have been violated as well. A roti seller from Samui is not and cannot be considered a viable interpretor..

I am not saying they are innocent, but in a capital case such as this, murder should be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, I fail to see how that has been done in this case.

Edited by sjaak327

8 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I have to disagree with you greenchair.

I'm just not keen on the death penalty. What if over time new evidence comes to light? Just my opinion. I'm a skeptic and not 100% sure on whether they were guilty or not. Worth reducing the sentence to life imprisonment to let the case stay open to more future development that may or may not happen. Basically the prosecution didn't convince me enough that these two men killed the two British backpackers.

After all appeals have been finished, they can apply for the kings reduction. The first reduction will change the death sentence to life. After that that can recieve further reductions. So they would do about 20 years after the supreme appeal. Fortunately or unfortunately their lawyers continued appeals  (which they will not win ) has added many years to their sentence. Had they have stayed with their guilty plea, they would automatically get life and the process of reduction would have begun. They would have been out in 10 or 15 years. 

Hey greenchair I'm not attacking you. I'm just posting my opinion. I enjoy commenting on Thai news articles. The news has always interested me. I like Thai visa because it's a great forum to express your opinion on Thai news events and the other forums are also very informative, etc...

My opinion on posting on Thai visa is not to take what everyone says to heart. Some will agree with you and some won't. Don't worry about defending yourself. You have a right to your own opinion. Enjoy the friendly chats and debates on the forum. We're all mostly expats on here. We all mostly live in Los. So don't worry. Just enjoy.

13 hours ago, greenchair said:

Yahoo. Guilty as sin. 

Justice was served for hannah who was left lying on the beach with her brain smashed to bits and violated in the worst possible way. 

I hope people give a thought for her whilst dishing out sympathy for those 2 sods. 

Well done thai police. 

Your post sounds less than sober, as you appear to want somebody, anybody to be held accountable just because of the crime's horrific nature.  The DNA evidence was mis-handled, there is no evidence connecting the Burmese to the murder weapon.  Though they may be guilty, there is still doubt to this day and a stain on Thailand's reputation.   

Edited by yellowboat

12 hours ago, greenchair said:

Sorry, I do actually think they were there, they did it,  and they are playing on peoples vulnerability. 

I do however believe there were at least 3 or possibly 4 on the beach that night. One hauled his sorry arse to myerma and the other one is in a country with no extradition treaty with thailand. 

and the other one is in a country with no extradition treaty with thailand. 

And who is that, pray tell?