POLL: Men, how do you like your beef steak done?

Jingthing

POLL: Men, how do you like your beef steak done?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 3/4/2017 at 11:18 AM, sipi said:

Medium rare in Australia.

Burnt to a cinder in Thailand.

Food poisoning isn't fun (from personal experience)

I eat steaks regularly here. All types of restaurants, posh, not so posh and the open air plastic chair ones. Usually have T-Bone, ribeye or sirloin/fillet.

I eat rare in EU, "bleu" in France, but differentiate here. Rare in posh, but medium rare in all others. IME the Thai restaurants/chefs over rather than under cook so I usually end up with what I'd call medium. Sizzler at Fashion Island and Zpell do a great rare steak.

Never had any problems with steak here to be fair.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

I'm 72 and eat beef steak regularly, never been sick from it. Sounds like you have a personal problem.

I eat cryovac EU or MSA regularly in Australia, no problems.

I just remembered I did get food poisoning once from red meat, actually probably the worst case of it I've ever had. 

But it wasn't beef. It was venison.

It wasn't cooked rare. It was cooked well done in a highly spiced stew (presumably to mask the rotten meat).

It wasn't in Thailand. It was in Budapest. 

It took me years before I could bring myself to eat venison again. 

Edited by Jingthing

9 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

No, you apparently don't get it....The finer restaurants would

rather lose THAT CUSTOMER and maintain their standard of

escellence.   They are always booked!

No, YOU DON'T GET IT......As a chef for 30 years, we have never questioned how a guest likes his steak cooked.

On 3/4/2017 at 5:58 PM, CharlieH said:

To cook your steaks, heat a frying pan – to a moderate heat for fillet, hot for T-bone or very hot for rib-eye. Add a swirl of oil, with a whole garlic clove and a herb sprig. Season thesteaks with salt and pepper and cook for 1½-2½ mins on each side.

steak.jpg

I would have the heat settings the other way around. Fillet is best rare in the middle and seared on the outside - a high heat setting. Rib eye in particular, and T-Bone to a lesser extent, have marbling and fat running through so need to be cooked medium rare or the raw fat gives a stringy texture - requires a lower heat setting.

Adding thyme to the salt an pepper seasoning and rubbing it into the steak with olive oil gives a great flavour.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 10:59 PM, sipi said:

The only two times I got sick was eating beef. Now I don't chance it.

'Never gotten sick from beef; pork (ham) and not-properly-washed fresh veggies have got me down more than a couple of times over the years.  And in Asia usually in restaurants catering to westerners.

13 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

No, you apparently don't get it....The finer restaurants would

rather lose THAT CUSTOMER and maintain their standard of

escellence.   They are always booked!

Now your being silly you honestly belive there going to turn down money for the sake of a well done steak absolute tosh. Please name an establishment that you know does this and where it is.

I used to like taking a clove of garlic, chopping it in half and rubbing it over the steak before cooking.

I also used to like a pepper or blue cheese sauce to go with it.

Now I'm hungry.

Edited by grollies

1 minute ago, little mary sunshine said:

You will find there are exclusive steak houses

that refuse to "burn" their food to satisfy poor

taste.

'Taste' is extremley individual. Eating a well done steak, if to your taste, is perfectly acceptable. Being a member of the food police and insisting a steak is eaten rare or blue is simply being a food snob.

23 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

You will find there are exclusive steak houses

taste.

Picture below from PL's website. Looks pretty well cremated on the outside.

246.jpg

44 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Bloody on the inside....charred! Outside

Except you posted:

''You will find there are exclusive steak houses

taste.''

Wasn't there an issue a while ago on burnt meat being carcinogenic?

Wether one believes that or not I personally don't like meat charred black like that, don't like the burnt taste, makes it taste bitter.

If I was served that I'd send it back and order something else.

On 3/5/2017 at 0:21 PM, dinsdale said:

Mooing, bleeding and running off the plate. Don't eat much "Thai steak" See attached pic. There is a trick I heard of to make it a bit tenderer. Put the meat in a plastic bag and leave it in the fridge for a few days. Take it out everyday, clean it; wash, pat dry, put into clean plastic bag, back in the fridge, repeat. I've tried this and it's ok.

b97fd451a0acf219384a2009e72a87da.jpg

When I was working up in the NW of Western Australia in '71 I was told how to cook 'roo .  Put it in a bucket of boiling water along with an axe head , when the axe head gets soft throw the water and piece of 'roo away and eat the axe head.

21 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

When I was working up in the NW of Western Australia in '71 I was told how to cook 'roo .  Put it in a bucket of boiling water along with an axe head , when the axe head gets soft throw the water and piece of 'roo away and eat the axe head.

Ahhhhhh. Kangaroo is delicious. If you overcook it, it is tough as old boots. It needs to be medium rare at the most. I like it just past rare. Beautiful fat free meat. 

e203b9aa02547a80bfd04ab9e12c8e23.jpg

On 3/5/2017 at 6:15 PM, richusa said:

Why didn't you order it Bleu? If you don't know how to order your steak properly then don't blame the dorchester.......their Africans anyways cooking your food.

I did order it Bleu they didn't know what it meant

• 1 month later...

I can't imagine eating beef could be bad for your health JT, not unless we believe doctors have a clue about nutrition.

Doctors, "Lard is bad for cooking, use sunflower oil, instead."

Doctors, "Butter is bad, eat margarine, instead."

Doctors, "Fat is bad, eat lots of carbs, instead "

Doctors, "Leaky gut doesn't exist. Your stomach can handle anything. Here, get these antibiotics down you. Don't forget: wholewheat bread is good for ya!"

Doctors, "Eat a low fat diet. Avoid cholesterol at all costs. Don't worry, there's no real evidence you will get dementia because of this."

Yeah, I'm sticking with the steak n eggs, by the way.

And I'm a rare guy (but in Thailand that either means raw or well-done)

The mainstream medical opinion is to greatly limit portions of red meat each week. But even more so for PROCESSED red meats like sausages. 

They're not always right but they're not always wrong either.

Edited by Jingthing