Video: Minivan driver pays 5,000 baht fine for dangerous driving after passenger films him on Pattaya to Bangkok run

rooster59

Video: Minivan driver pays 5,000 baht fine for dangerous driving after passenger films him on Pattaya to Bangkok run

minivan.PNG

Image: Daily News

The Land Transport department has fined a minivan driver 5,000 baht after he appeared on a video made by a frightened passenger.

A woman claimed that the driver - who refused to give his name or turn on a light to reveal his identity - was overtaking on the left and right, speeding and frightening all the passengers.

She claimed one other woman moved further to the back because she was scared by the erratic driving.

Following the journey the poster of the clip, that was viewed right across social media, filmed the registration plate and company name that enabled the authorities to nail the driver.

Ekachai Nuamprem admitted he was the driver in the video and said he was in the wrong. He was fined the top rate of 5,000 baht under Regulation 111 that refers to speeding, negligent and dangerous driving.

He was also ordered to attend three hours of training in how to offer a better public service. And he was warned that a further infraction would mean a suspension of his license or its removal altogether.

In the video the woman poster challenges Ekachai about his driving to which he replies: "I've been driving for years".

She asks the other passengers for their comments on his driving skills but gets little response though she claims one young woman moved from a front seat further back because she was scared.

There is room for some light-heartedness, however, as she asks him to turn on the light inside the van so she "can see his handsome face".

Ekachai does not turn on the light.

Eventually the woman gets out and the remaining passengers continue on their way.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-04

These are the very same drivers that horrendous road accidents of multiple

death are made of, these type of drivers should be jailed and bared for life

from ever driving and dangering lives with their utter and complete disregards

for safety.......

32 minutes ago, ezzra said:

These are the very same drivers that horrendous road accidents of multiple

death are made of, these type of drivers should be jailed and bared for life

from ever driving and dangering lives with their utter and complete disregards

for safety.......

Castration would also help so that the stupidity genes do not get passed on.

Ekachai Nuamprem  is very busy with his hands and mouth, guess he's on yaba or xtc or so. Test him please.

So can we also film the minivan drivers with our dashcams to get them reprimanded? I can make several movies a day about them being very selfish/dangerous.

Well done that woman,l.l

but have you noticed Thais are not happy to contradict each other, they would rather just sit, and hope he does not crash,..., sorry I would be the first to day,  Slow Down......

once again well done....

he deserved a harsher punishment, as no doubt he will be back to his old ways...

1 hour ago, alwaysrainsinUK said:

very good !!!  these people need to learn drive safely

Who needs to drive safely when one has his lucky amulet around his neck and other voodoo paraphernalia hanging from the rear view mirror? Skillful driving has nothing to do with accident prevention. It's all a matter of luck. And, that is obvious every time you get on the road.

With the exception of minibuses, taxis, motorbikes, pickups, trucks and SUVs I'd say the majority of vehicles I encounter on Thai roads are driven at world class standards.

Judging by the speeds people drive at they must all think they lead very important lives since they need to get where they are going before anyone else.

I hate these guys more than any others.

But how is it he gets a 5,000 bht fine and no restrictions.

These guys care nothing about others  life only about them.

But some russian tourist spending money on a holiday gets thrown in jail for feeding fish.

This place gets weirder every day.

As I read through this, I am not really surprised at the driving "skills" shown.

What surprises me more is the fact most passengers don't seem to be interested in curtailing the drivers' exploits.

In fact it frightens me!

When will they institute police patrols and enforcement of traffic laws on the highways? It's not that hard. 

Unmarked police cars equipped with speed guns etc to start nabbing these guys.

oh , I forgot. They are all out arresting old farrangs for playing bridge. 

4 minutes ago, chopin2 said:

Has anyone ever experienced a minivan driver with the ability  to drive safe?

When I used to do visa runs  I did experience a couple who drove very well but most where  driving like they where in a F1 car, too fast swerving all over the road undertaking, overtaking, tailgating, talking on the phone (not hands free)

maybe its due to them getting paid per trip  or having to keep to an unworkable schedule for the maniac speed..or is it that the maniacs are on speed ?

Some of the larger tour buses are almost as bad driven like they would drive a motorbike trying for impossible gaps  its only their sheer size that

enable them to browbeat every other vehicle out of their way  but they quite often "fall off " the road when going round corners !

There surely are good Thai drivers  just look at the shopping malls how they can reverse park their monster trucks in the multi-storey car parks with millimeter precision packed together like sardines.

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

He should lose his job for 6 months.  Penalties here are too low.  5,000B is nothing and he's back on the road still driving crazy.  I hate minivan drivers and big buses! LOL

The company should be penalized by 50,000.- That would probably help.

4 minutes ago, ramrod711 said:

I don't know which is worse, having to ride with that driver or having to listen to that woman ramble on.

My thoughts completely. The one thing worse than a bad driver is a bad back seat driver! She is actually contributing to the already dangerous situation.

When I go to Bangkok in a minivan with a local company, I have never had to complain about any bad driving.

Being a tall guy, I always sit in the front beside the driver, and he has to pass sometimes on the inside as well as the outside

as so many half wit drivers are hogging the middle and front lanes at slow speed. If he never overtook on the inside, it would add about an 

hour on to the journey.

2 hours ago, Stanley78 said:

With the exception of minibuses, taxis, motorbikes, pickups, trucks and SUVs I'd say the majority of vehicles I encounter on Thai roads are driven at world class standards.

Judging by the speeds people drive at they must all think they lead very important lives since they need to get where they are going before anyone else.

There are still many drivers who drive far too slow and also contribute to the road fatalities.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

There are still many drivers who drive far too slow and also contribute to the road fatalities.

The most likely place for "too slow drivers" causing a problem is at the U-turns

but I think their contribution to fatalities is far less than the "too fast drivers"