Thais turn to 3D technology to help prevent road accidents

rooster59

A sign with ''sharp turn ahead'' and reflectors on sucker rod posts placed on the shoulder, before and thru the turn/curve seems to work with other countries of the world. The paint I have observed used here to mark lanes, etc must be cheap water base as it is woren off by traffic and rain within 6 months and redone 6 months later. This is sometime referred nto as doing a half arse job. This may be giving more credit than is due those who come up with these ideas.

The have rumble strips before a corner near our house.  Doesn't slow anyone down.  Quite a few dogs and cats have been run over as people simply refuse to slow down.  I'm figuring it's just a matter of time before a person gets hit, but it won't make a difference.  A village a few kilos away has dropped their speed signs to 30 kph and installed radar guns mounted signs that show your speed.  If I drop below 45kph I've got traffic pushing me from behind or passing on the blind corners.  However, the equivalent of driving 18 mph (30 kpm) on a rural highway is silly too.  45 kpm is just under 30 mph which would be plenty slow to travel though the village. But, there is no enforcement so most people scream though the villages however fast they want. 
Bottom line: without enforcement Thai driving behavior will never change; and there is no enforcement.  Self-reinforcing cycle.

I guess more than 90 % who use this street are locals. And they enjoy driving fast and furious. They will soon find out and continueenjoying their art of driving.

Would mean the drawings are about 10 %  effective.

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

In the UK it was announced a new law stating that if you're using your mobile phone in any capacity while driving, you'll be served with a 200 pound fine (let's say 10,000 baht) and be given 6 points. Once you get 12 points you get a year ban. 

This has been announced all over the uk with people sharing on social media, etc. People always sit up and listen. Who wants a big fine and to be half way towards a year ban? They haven't done the big song and dance campaign like here in Thailand because they don't need to. They informed the public, the public knows it's serious, and the public then inform each other as a kind of stick together and have each other's backs kind of thing. People know it's serious so they better stop or at least be more stealthy about it. End of the day, it really isn't worth the risk. 

Thaialnd has big campaigns for these things and absolutely nothing changes. People don't share this info. They won't even talk about it or give it a second's thought as they know it's all meaningless. Without real law enforcement it's all meaningless. Many people anywhere in the world will do as they please if they can. People can be naturally selfish. 

You simply can't rely on people to do the right thing. You have to make them. When will this sink in? 

This is all over the uk on radio adverts. 200 quid and six points straight off for using mobile.