Poll says majority of people want Section 44 to remain in force even after the election

rooster59

Poll says majority of people want Section 44 to remain in force even after the election

41_Poll.jpg

Bangkok Poll released its latest poll on "Section 44 and Thailand Reform" showing 78.4% of people surveyed said this absolute law should remain in force even though the country has undergone reform and election is held.

The research arm of Bangkok University conducted survey from 1,279 samples from all parts of the country from March 1-3.

It said although 72.3% of people it surveyed has less to least understanding of Section 44, they saw it is an effective tool to keep peace and order in the country.

50.9% saw that Section 44 is most effective if used to deal with corruption, followed by 45.7% in dealing with protest, 42.2% with drug suppression, 40% with influential people or mafias, and 29.5% with the arrest of Phra Dhammachayo.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/poll-says-majority-people-want-section-44-remain-force-even-election/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-03-04

No surprise - they know Thai psychology that makes corruption, high traffic accident rate and violent behavior possible.

It also seems they cannot imagine, that the problem could be solved with weaker or friendlier action

but I would be afraid if the ptp would get to power after election and use their version of section 44

Other than moving officials around, i cannot actually see what Section 44 has been successful in solving. It is ridiculous to even consider keeping a law which gives anyone complete power to do anything they want with impunity.

Section 44 should be used now to radically overhaul the police and judiciary to ensure that Section 44 is not even considered necessary. 

15 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

No surprise - they know Thai psychology that makes corruption, high traffic accident rate and violent behavior possible.

It also seems they cannot imagine, that the problem could be solved with weaker or friendlier action

but I would be afraid if the ptp would get to power after election and use their version of section 44

Surely the "reforms" are designed to ensure that ptp or any unapproved party do not get in to power in the forseeable future?

Highly unlikely to see any other user of s44 than the current ( or a proxy) for an equally long time so it does not really matter what polls are made to say.

19 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Unbelieveable. 78.4% think they should keep article 44 even though 72.3% had little or no understanding of it.

How can you express an opinion, on something you don't understand? Oh, Thailand!

This phenomenon is in the same class as having the corrupted enforcing the law...

All the polls conducted by the junta are absolute fantasy.

I doubt whether a poll is actually conducted, who can say anyway? Anyone who knows the truth can't speak out for fear of being arrested and held for attitude adjustment.

George Orwell would be laughing right now.

Section 44[15] empowers the NCPO leader to issue any order "for the sake of the reforms in any field, the promotion of love and harmony amongst the people in the nation, or the prevention, abatement or suppression of any act detrimental to national order or security, royal throne, national economy or public administration, whether the act occurs inside or outside the kingdom". The orders so issued are all deemed "lawful, constitutional and final".

10 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

Section 44[15] empowers the NCPO leader to issue any order "for the sake of the reforms in any field, the promotion of love and harmony amongst the people in the nation, or the prevention, abatement or suppression of any act detrimental to national order or security, royal throne, national economy or public administration, whether the act occurs inside or outside the kingdom". The orders so issued are all deemed "lawful, constitutional and final".

Amazing! Lunacy on stilts. And people stand for this. Unbelievable!

Edited by Eligius

I just do not buy it. One has to keep in mind the regime has extreme censorship over the media. So, why would we be getting accurate and truthful information in the media? My guess is they will say and print anything that the government asks. About as reliable as the Russian polls showing King Vlad with a 93% favorability rating. 

I give the Thai people alot more credit than this. Nearly everyone I speak to mentions disapproval of these fools, that are currently in power, and extreme disapproval of Little P. Very few like him. Very few think he is doing a good job and very few think there is any talent or competence in this administration. 

Little P. - Moving Thailand backwards at an alarming, and astonishing pace.

Edited by spidermike007

There is no way they could risk leaving Section 44 there. If PTP got in they could disband the Senate, remove this Governments amnesty and charge them all with treason and lock them up. Not a hope in hell they would risk leaving it open.

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

Surely the "reforms" are designed to ensure that ptp or any unapproved party do not get in to power in the forseeable future?

Highly unlikely to see any other user of s44 than the current ( or a proxy) for an equally long time so it does not really matter what polls are made to say.

They do what they are told to do and say what they are told to say without question.  Thai education or is it brainwashing ?  So any so called survey without oversight by a third party gives the result that they are told is required.

8 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

There is no way they could risk leaving Section 44 there. If PTP got in they could disband the Senate, remove this Governments amnesty and charge them all with treason and lock them up. Not a hope in hell they would risk leaving it open.

Yes - but you are forgetting that Section 44 is only for 'the good people' to use!!

15 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I believe the intention is to leave Prayuth with section 44 having power over the elected government. Who would have thought?

If the PTP had the power, do you think Prayuth would accept the possibility of payback time?

You read the headline and think "Do they understand what "majority" means?"

You read the first sentence and think "Just over 1000 people in a country of millions somehow makes a 'conclusive' reporting"

You finish the first paragraph and think "You can't make this shit up..."

The poll is rubbish ... fake.

First, Article 44 is provided in the Interim Constitution and can only be invoked by the NCPO.

Second, once the 2016 draft constitution is endorsed, it succeeds the Interim Constitution and all its Articles such as Article 44 cease to exist.

Third, upon Prayut's approval of the next elected PM's cabinet and the military-appointed and occupied Senate approval of the next elected PM, the NCPO ceases to exist. (so says Prayut - the NCPO continues in spirit within the Senate)

Therefore, Article 44 cannot exist contemporaneously with an elected government.

That's not to say that the military can legally overthrow an elected government on the grounds of protecting national security against potential unresolvable conflict as provided in the new constitution. Such action doesn't require an Article 44.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Unbelieveable. 78.4% think they should keep article 44 even though 72.3% had little or no understanding of it.

How can you express an opinion, on something you don't understand? Oh, Thailand!

that's why  ptp and taksin won elections

Edited by sweatalot

4 hours ago, sweatalot said:

I cannot see different versions of this law. It will be passed from Prayuth to the new government. I really cannot see the people accepting a continuation of this law but then its harder and harder to figure people out. After the VW scandal VW passed Toyota as the best selling vehicle in the world so go figure. 

If this were actually true, it only means that the Thai courts, as they are, are ineffective. Why else would there be military law ?   Thai judges should be made to defend Thai law in the face of article 44, unless they care not to do so.  Article 44 is in place to circumvent their rulings, their judgment.

It ain't rocket science. Thai's associate democracy with violent aggression against protestors by government supporters that have free reign to commit the crimes cart blanch.  

Democracy is on the horizon and Thai's are having a feeling of Groundhog day.

The Junta gave them safety through section 44. They want to keep feeling safe. I don't blame them. 

Tourist number increases is a litmus test to substantiate this. 

Edited by djjamie

It ain't rocket science. Thai's associate democracy with violent aggression against protestors by government supporters that have free reign to commit the crimes cart blanch.  

Democracy is on the horizon and Thai's are having a feeling of Groundhog day.

The Junta gave them safety through section 44. They want to keep feeling safe. I don't blame them. 

Tourist number increases is a litmus test to substantiate this. 

Yes, I think the majority of Thai's are happy with the way things are at the moment. The junta seems to have mellowed out recently. The international community has also become more comfortable with the juntas grip on power. Plenty are happy that there is peace in Thailand and that the junta has a strong control during a time of woe.

In essence Thai's are happy to wait for democracy. There's no hurry. We have all the time in the world said Louis Armstrong and that song is very appropriate.

Let's see (1,279 samples from all parts of the country) *200THB) =255,880 baht total paid to all the somchai's of Thailand to say article 44 is hunky dory (although I know not <deleted> you are talking about).

section 44 could be a pizza menu, with pepperoni.

Artical 44 is simply creating a problem for the future, the current government have totally failed to reform anything. The NCPO will have to continue in one way or another after the next election or we will simply return to the past and the military can not have that.

At some point in the future as the average Thai whom have seen there life become worse will want change. Since the last coup things may be better in Bangkok, but for the majority incomes have become worse. Thais don't look at the international picture if they have less money it is because the government have failed.

In the village I live in the current government were welcomed despite there genuine love for Thaksin, but people want to know why things have not improved. The price of rice, sugar and rubber are down everything is more expensive in the shops and the banks have started to clamp down on credit. Two family's near me have lost there farms and homes, people are working harder and for longer hours but are financially worse off.