What type of school did you go to?

seancbk

Private School or State School?   

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, transam said:

This thread got me remembering....I went to a boy's Tech school, early '60's,  I was in a road accident and broke my arm...Arm in plaster....Swimming lesson once a week....I had to get in the pool with a broken arm in plaster.....They taped plastic around my arm so l could get in the pool and do NOTHING.....many years on I think why...Was it because the teachers were sort of fresh from killing fields of WW2 and wanted to toughen up young folk...Or just daft stuff.....Wish I could ask them now..

They wouldn't have gotten to watch you shower otherwise? 

I went to a slightly better than average suburban American public high school (not private). Meaning it had a better than average tax base. But it was different in that it was somewhat "experimental" or "alternative" or in other words, lots of hippie teachers. Also the football team almost never won and people really didn't care. I actually got school credit for a self designed course of study labelled: STONED WRITING. I got a HIGH mark. (True story.)

When I got to college I realized my classmates that had gone to elite New England prep schools had  received vastly superior educations. Oh well! Who said the USA doesn't have a CLASS system? 

Edited by Jingthing

Only private school. I was to stupid to understand traditional school, and needed extra teaching.
When I gor smarter Iearned to cheat, and then only the private schools accepted me.

After all it went quite well, as I am now relaxing, on my 47th year of living, for the rest of my days in Thailand.

After a couple of years at Grammar school we could concentrate on one of the sciences ( chemistry, physics or biology) or another language ( in addition to French).
I went for another language, was a choice of German or Russian (?), I chose German as did the other 25 kids, then they said " we need someone to take Russian as we have a Russian teacher " !!
So , it was, you, you, you and you are doing Russian !!

Me and 5 girls ( all mingers), so I rebelled and skipped classes.
End of school had to take O level exam as they had no GCSE paper.

I got a "U" for unclassified.

At the time I didn't care but later in life it really bugged me how they could make a decision like that so nonchalantly !! [emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

1 hour ago, transam said:

This thread got me remembering....I went to a boy's Tech school, early '60's,  I was in a road accident and broke my arm...Arm in plaster....Swimming lesson once a week....I had to get in the pool with a broken arm in plaster.....They taped plastic around my arm so l could get in the pool and do NOTHING.....many years on I think why...Was it because the teachers were sort of fresh from killing fields of WW2 and wanted to toughen up young folk...Or just daft stuff.....Wish I could ask them now..

They only wanted to see you in your swimsuit, trans. :stoner:

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

I did not know that.  Thanks for the clarification.

My school was and still is an Independent Public School.   Access is gained by getting an acceptable grade in the entrance exams, an interview and payment of fees.  The school also has a pretty generous bursary so that smart kids who may not otherwise be able to afford the school can get financial aid.   

That's the OP not reading through the posts, #43

2 hours ago, Shawn0000 said:

Well, that was good of them, but many of the most elitist of the public schools did not want to have children attending their schools who were from outside of their circle, there are a handful of schools in the UK that accept children largely on the basis that their parent attended before them.

My school wasn't particularly elitist, although I was and still am I suppose.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I went to a slightly better than average suburban American public high school (not private). Meaning it had a better than average tax base. But it was different in that it was somewhat "experimental" or "alternative" or in other words, lots of hippie teachers. Also the football team almost never won and people really didn't care. I actually got school credit for a self designed course of study labelled: STONED WRITING. I got a HIGH mark. (True story.)

When I got to college I realized my classmates that had gone to elite New England prep schools had  received vastly superior educations. Oh well! Who said the USA doesn't have a CLASS system? 

Great story Jingthing.

I like the class system and anyone that says the US doesn't have one is just someone who's never mixed in the upper levels of US society.

2 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

After a couple of years at Grammar school we could concentrate on one of the sciences ( chemistry, physics or biology) or another language ( in addition to French).
I went for another language, was a choice of German or Russian (?), I chose German as did the other 25 kids, then they said " we need someone to take Russian as we have a Russian teacher " !!
So , it was, you, you, you and you are doing Russian !!

Me and 5 girls ( all mingers), so I rebelled and skipped classes.
End of school had to take O level exam as they had no GCSE paper.

I got a "U" for unclassified.

At the time I didn't care but later in life it really bugged me how they could make a decision like that so nonchalantly !! emoji35.pngemoji35.png

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm emoji4.png

Why only one science? 

For O-levels I studied :-  Maths, Ad Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English Literature, English Language, Geography, French, Spanish and Design/Craft/Technology

I dropped Additional Maths and Spanish before taking the O-levels though.

I passed everything but French.  

Went on to do A Levels in Maths, Physics and Geography (geography because of scheduling conflicts which mean't I had to choose between Physics and Chemistry, and chose Physics because it was more in line with my growing interest in computers.

I still love anything to do with the sciences and maths.   

40 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Great story Jingthing.

I like the class system and anyone that says the US doesn't have one is just someone who's never mixed in the upper levels of US society.

What do you like about the class system?  

And you do not have to mix with the upper levels of US society to be aware of their class system, if anything the lower levels demonstrate it clearer.

Why only one science? 

For O-levels I studied :-  Maths, Ad Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English Literature, English Language, Geography, French, Spanish and Design/Craft/Technology

I dropped Additional Maths and Spanish before taking the O-levels though.

I passed everything but French.  

Went on to do A Levels in Maths, Physics and Geography (geography because of scheduling conflicts which mean't I had to choose between Physics and Chemistry, and chose Physics because it was more in line with my growing interest in computers.

I still love anything to do with the sciences and maths.   

It was more of an advanced science, still did the 3 sciences but concentrated on one in particular with double the lessons - or - still did the 3 sciences plus an additional language as in my case.

Or to be more precise in my case waste 3 years of valuable education time on a subject that I had no interest in whatsoever !

Looking back it seems that they had some radical tutoring ideas going on !

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm [emoji4]

38 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

What do you like about the class system?  

And you do not have to mix with the upper levels of US society to be aware of their class system, if anything the lower levels demonstrate it clearer.

It's not so much that I like the class system, but I like people who are  who are sophisticated, well spoken, knowledgeable about more than just what's going on in the FA cup and have interests beyond the pub and the football ground.

3 minutes ago, seancbk said:

It's not so much that I like the class system, but I like people who are  who are sophisticated, well spoken, knowledgeable about more than just what's going on in the FA cup and have interests beyond the pub and the football ground.

Me too. That's what attracted me to Pattaya.

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

It was more of an advanced science, still did the 3 sciences but concentrated on one in particular with double the lessons - or - still did the 3 sciences plus an additional language as in my case.

Or to be more precise in my case waste 3 years of valuable education time on a subject that I had no interest in whatsoever !

Looking back it seems that they had some radical tutoring ideas going on !

Sent from my iPhone with the usual amount of sincerity and sarcasm emoji4.png

Ok I see what you mean.  

Looking back part of me thinks a lot of it was a waste and I don't know why schools don't focus on more practical, vocational lessons.   

I learned to cook because my mother was a cooking instructor, so I could cook before I was 11.   I know guys in their 30 and older who can barely scramble eggs (then again I've met chefs who can't make decent scrambled eggs so perhaps a bad example!)

Knowing how to cook, sew, iron, paint walls, lay tile, grout, fix a broken window, change a tire.... the list goes on.... all of those and much more I was taught by either my Mum or my Dad.

Seems these days parents don't teach those things to their kids because they can't do them themselves.

3 hours ago, grollies said:
5 hours ago, seancbk said:

I did not know that.  Thanks for the clarification.

My school was and still is an Independent Public School.   Access is gained by getting an acceptable grade in the entrance exams, an interview and payment of fees.  The school also has a pretty generous bursary so that smart kids who may not otherwise be able to afford the school can get financial aid.   

That's the OP not reading through the posts, #43

Yes good point.

I will admit that once I start getting involved in discussion I rely on the emails telling me there has been a reply and stop reading through each and every post.

Also I posted the OP quite late and night the other day and am pleasantly surprised how many responses there have been. 

If I have time I'll try to read through all the posts and see what I missed.

Interesting that the voting is neck and neck

One is most impressed that one is not the only posh ex public school boy.   

One of my school reports said a rather indulged child of a middle class family.I didn't want to be there ,and made little use of the time there .As all I wanted to do was work with my dad and grandfather in the family business.

37 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Yes good point.

I will admit that once I start getting involved in discussion I rely on the emails telling me there has been a reply and stop reading through each and every post.

Also I posted the OP quite late and night the other day and am pleasantly surprised how many responses there have been. 

'Posh' is the young lady who married David Beckham.

Edited by SheungWan

20 minutes ago, SheungWan said:
48 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Yes good point.

'Posh' is the young lady who married David Beckham.

And a very fine looking woman she is.   Definitely the type of woman I go for. 

Does she still speak like a commoner?   Or has she paid for elocution lessons?