Smog blowing in from Myanmar affects air quality in the North

rooster59

Smog blowing in from Myanmar affects air quality in the North

By THE SUNDAY NATION

360ed7337b893240cc7a3d5492fd4f6a.jpeg

SMOG FROM Myanmar has intensified the haze problem in northern Thailand, according to hotspot statistics from the Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (GISTDA).

The alarming development came as a report by Thai Civil Rights and Investigative Journalism (TCIJ) revealed that the dense hotspots in Shan State, Myanmar, are associated with Thai corporate investment in maize plantations.

Despite the strict regulations and law enforcement to ban burns during the current dry season in the North, it is expected that the haze situation in the region will worsen during the next few days. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30307967

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-05

19 minutes ago, trogers said:

Corporates...and who is the largest Thai company in the food business?

Same problems Malaysia and Singapore have with Indonesia, corporates...

Locals too, burning leaves and rubbish every single day.

Nothing beats waking up with smoke coming in your bed room of neighbors burning their plastic waste. And they all do it.

11 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Locals too, burning leaves and rubbish every single day.

Nothing beats waking up with smoke coming in your bed room of neighbors burning their plastic waste. And they all do it.

Because they don't have, and would never pay, a garbage collection and disposal system.

10 minutes ago, trogers said:

Because they don't have, and would never pay, a garbage collection and disposal system.

And that's why this should be included in the electricity bill.

What I also miss are Government infomercials about environmental problems. There seems to be a complete sense of ignorance and apathy. With a lot of people having respiratory problems, you would expect massive protests against locals and corporations responsible for the smog.

“Despite the strict regulations and law enforcement to ban burns during the current dry season in the North…”

What a joke. Whoever wrote the above sentence should did absolutely no investigating of the facts. "Strict law enforcement"? What a joke. If he had spent one night in the north, he would have observed the sides of the mountains burning all night long, with no one doing anything to stop it. Even without the smoke coming from Myanmar, there is enough local burning to create a major health hazard. 

If they want to do something, fine the owner of the land that is being burned, and fine him heavily...Bt 100,000. Don't accept any lame excuses that he wasn't doing the burning. A few heavy fines, and he will be out at night and get rid of those doing the burning...One way or the other. And here's a word that doesn't seem to be in the Thai lexicon...."Composting".  BTW, I don't give 2 s___s about mushrooms not being harvested. I've never read about anyone dying from not eating his daily ration of mushrooms. I'm sure they can find an alternative crop. 

Edited by jaltsc

10 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

And that's why this should be included in the electricity bill.

What I also miss are Government infomercials about environmental problems. There seems to be a complete sense of ignorance and apathy. With a lot of people having respiratory problems, you would expect massive protests against locals and corporations responsible for the smog.

The trait in rejecting the cost of proper garbage disposal outside of cities is seen across whole social classes. Koh Samui is a classic example.

Large agribusiness owners pillage the environment and poison the air and water of locals. Most people are not well enough informed to be able to figure out why their neighbors and family members keep contracting and dying of cancer at late middle age. Probably karma or unlucky spirits or something.

Just now, jabis said:

Goddamnit man, now you jinxed it... It's already bad enough, and getting worse by the day :guitar:

Was definitely the worst today (Sunday) this year but think back over the last 4 years it's really minor so far, it could definitely be 100x worse. But yet...I have probably have jinxed it, sorry :)

I have zero faith either that the burning bans will last, but it is nice to get to March 5th and still have reasonably ok smoke levels for this time of the year. Maybe the Government is getting nid noy better every year...by pushing the real bad stuff back a week or two :)

49 minutes ago, clockman said:

Just warn every tourist, send it viral around the world.Do not come to Thailand. If you value your lungs. The only way to change anything here is hit them in the pocket.

Yeah, because hurting your average Thai who has nothing to do with burning stuff will make a difference. 

Not cool mate. 

The air quality in ChiangMai, as of Mar.12, is quite alright for this time of year.

I drove 100km south today and could not believe how clear it was,I could actually see details in the distant hills and sky was a bright blue. I did see a few spot fires during the day and three visible line fires at night driving back. I have to say, this degree of visibility is unusual for this time of year....even the full-moon was clear, not orange if there was smoke in the atmosphere.

I can only speak of my immediate area but the Moo-Baan announcements about "stop burning" are frequent AND the initiative of paying 5,000baht reward to 'report a fire' along with the threat of stiff fines and court appearance seemed to have stopped even the most minor burning among the locals....I'm impressed.

With the tropical and subtropical dry broadleaf forest around here there will always be a threat of natural forest fires. If the un-natural fires can be curtailed it should make a significant difference....wait and see what the wind blows into town.

Edited by HaleySabai