Who was your role model?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, transam said:

It was a crap film too.......:saai:

Yes - but if an actor that could represent/embody the Jack Reacher personna had the lead it could be a great film series.....

20 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Liam Neeson.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Agree - but JR is only about 40....Seagal could have carried it in his day.....Not sure who now a days - Vince Vaughn would have the age & size, but not the pedigree - The Rock, doesn't seem right......But we're getting off track.....

Edited by pgrahmm

4 hours ago, transam said:
5 hours ago, williet98248 said:

Arnie never towered over anybody.  When I met him in Sun Valley, USA where he and his former wife had a house as big as a hotel, I was surprised to see he is about 5' 8".  At 5' 10" I am two inches taller than him.  In a lot of his movies he is filmed with the camera at an up angle to make him look taller and in some cases he is standing on a box next to other taller actors.  Being in to "the Mr Universe thing" represents years of hard work and competition and resulted in his being a very rich man today.  Arnie is an immigrant from Austria who came to America and realized the quintessential American dream.  Go to America and get rich through hard work and pluck.  I admire him for that if not for his acting abilities.

Arnie ain't 5'8".............

http://mentalfloss.com/article/66782/ongoing-mystery-arnold-schwarzeneggers-actual-height

1 minute ago, seancbk said:

I have read all that stuff...My gym in London had a photo of the owner with Arnie when he made an appearance there, l am going back about 35 years...The owner was a huge guy, so as I recall I reckon Arnie was about 5'11", perhaps a little less, but 5'8"...Nooooo..

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, cruisemonkey said:

Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton.

Never really had anyone I thought of a role model, but you got to admire this guy.

The story of how he saved his crew after their ship got crushed in the ice is the stuff of legends.

Don't understand why Scott, who didn't reach the pole and killed his crew in the process is such a hero. 

Not trying to diminish Scots achievements, all explorers are to be admired but between the two Shackleton is my man.

Maybe Scott had a better agent.  :whistling:

On 3/7/2017 at 9:36 AM, possum1931 said:

Excellent post Willie, as I have already said, you would be surprised at how small some actors are, but that is not to say they don't play good parts, and have excellent acting ability, a perfect example of that was Alan Ladd,  at 5ft 5ins he had to stand on a box to kiss his female stars, he was a great actor and made many great movies.

The most miscast actor ever IMO was Tom Cruise at 5ft 5ins playing Jack Reacher who in the Lee Child books is 6ft 5ins. What a joke that is, I could not even enjoy the movie because of that.

Indeed.  My favorite Alan Ladd movie is 'Shane".  Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher is just laughable.  Like you I just can't get my head around 5' 8" Tom Cruise playing 6'5" Jack Reacher.  I have watched both movies but with a feeling of disbelief.  Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) would be a perfect Jack Reacher. 

On 3/7/2017 at 8:51 PM, Daffy D said:

Never really had anyone I thought of a role model, but you got to admire this guy.

The story of how he saved his crew after their ship got crushed in the ice is the stuff of legends.

Don't understand why Scott, who didn't reach the pole and killed his crew in the process is such a hero. 

Not trying to diminish Scots achievements, all explorers are to be admired but between the two Shackleton is my man.

Maybe Scott had a better agent.  :whistling:

Shackleton was a great leader.  There are several books about his voyage, trek, open sea voyage in a small boat,  and I have read and re-read them all.  Great photos too.  He saved his entire crew through incredible hardships.  The only negative thing I can think about him is that he ordered the ship's cat killed when they took to the ice.  Not a popular decision amongst the crew.  Willing to bet the cat could have survived the trek and rescue as well

8 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

At the age of 8 my mom bought me a book. It was Cosmos by Carl Sagan translated to Serbo Croatian.

This is the first and only book I read cover to cover and every book I tried to read afterwards never came close to it.

So, I can really say I only read one book in my life.

Carl is my role model.

Your role model would have told you to read more books. :shock1: