Who was your role model?

15 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Arnie is only 5'11" add an inch for his heels....As governor his security always was tasked with keeping taller people away from him so he'd be the tallest in case photos were taken.....

He also used the raised step system so that anyone (athletes) they were his size or bigger were kept at a lower level for appearance sake....

Stallone is about 5'5", have friends that have met him....

Clint Walker was 6'6"-6'8" I believe....

There are lots of personalities who are smaller than what people think, Tom Jones, Rod Stewart etc, When I was visiting Graceland, I looked at Elvis's wedding suit and army uniforms, I thought they looked very small, I was sure that if I tried them on I would never get into them. I asked a security man what height Elvis really was, and he said 6ft and half an inch, about the same height as me.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, transam said:

I also read about Isambard Kingdom Brunel ....My mind boggles about his thoughts and getting a result....

We used to live at the Corsham end of Box tunnel. There was still a load of GWR bridge-rail being used as fencing along the top of the cutting, it was removed in the early 80's by the Swindon Railway Museum.

I also remember the very long winded removal of an IKB bridge in Bath for a road widening scheme. Explosives failed to even dent it and it was eventually removed brick by brick. They don't make 'em like that any more :(

My grandmother what a trooper. She lost her 3 sons my father included and husband by the time she was 45 lived to 91. Religion saw her through. To bad some did not rub off on me I guess. Since being retired and having time to study things my opinion of religion is not the best. It all boils down to what works for a person.

Is this about movie stars you liked or actual role models? There were plenty of stars I enjoyed watching, but I never considered any of them to be a role model. I don't think I ever had a role model. Not aware of of it anyhow.

Oh wait, my dad. I have a dad everyone likes.  My brother's school friends and mine still visit my parents, even though we haven't lived there for decades

Edited by canuckamuck

1 minute ago, canuckamuck said:

Is this about movie stars you liked or actual role models? There were plenty of stars I enjoyed watching, but I never considered any of them to be a role model. I don't think I ever had a role model. Not aware of of it anyhow.

Exactly.

How many of you actually followed the example of any of these people?

What point is a role model if you are not going to try to emulate them in some way?

Hamdi Ulukaya built a yogurt business from nothing to a US$ 1.7 billion fortune in less than 5 years.

12 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

There are lots of personalities who are smaller than what people think, Tom Jones, Rod Stewart etc, When I was visiting Graceland, I looked at Elvis's wedding suit and army uniforms, I thought they looked very small, I was sure that if I tried them on I would never get into them. I asked a security man what height Elvis really was, and he said 6ft and half an inch, about the same height as me.

Yes - I noticed the same thing at Graceland....It was the only thing that really surprised me...Along with how humble the place felt.....

The gold & platinum displayed was awe inspiring....And still adding to it....

He was my role model - til' he imploded....Some kind of family linkage somewhere along the way too, but never explored it.....

the one and only role model, though I won't post his pic,  would have to be my father. What an outstanding human he was, loved by everyone for his never-ending generosity and willingness to help. Without his moral support, I would not be here where I am now. Who knows maybe I would have ended up in the gutter.....

40 minutes ago, Crossy said:

A post in Swedish has been removed.

Apart from Thai in the Thai Language Forum, English is the only permitted language on Thaivisa.

Sorry, wrote another text at the same time.

22 minutes ago, siam2007 said:

the one and only role model, though I won't post his pic,  would have to be my father. What an outstanding human he was, loved by everyone for his never-ending generosity and willingness to help. Without his moral support, I would not be here where I am now. Who knows maybe I would have ended up in the gutter.....

Yes - I would have to say I'm lucky enough to agree....

It's easy to look back at the "glamorous examples", but in reality the one man I always wanted to impress/shine for was my Dad....Even though I ended up towering over him he was still larger than life to me....And all of it in a positive way....

Still is in many ways....

4 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

Yes - I would have to say I'm lucky enough to agree....

It's easy to look back at the "glamorous examples", but in reality the one man I always wanted to impress/shine for was my Dad....Even though I ended up towering over him he was still larger than life to me....And all of it in a positive way....

Still is in many ways....

Indeed.

My father (Mum's first hubby) was a Master Baker (a man who makes bread, cakes and cream pies slices) and my Dad (Mum's second hubby) a bus driver.

I never really wanted to follow either of them but I do still enjoy baking and driving.

Just now, Hutch68 said:

Of course otherwise how could he be my role model? Pissed, shagging, football and booze, what more could you want?

I'll agree to two of those.

Don't see the appeal of football.

2 hours ago, transam said:

His name is Clint Walker, became famous as Cheyenne Bodie in the TV series Cheyenne...Is still alive at 90 years of age..........

Yeah I  remember that, a good  series..  Good to  know  he is still  alive..   More into Rawhide with  the other  Clint,   Clint  Eastwood.   So  maybe I  would say  Clint  Estwood

5 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Watch crossy's video and the state of the pitches that he applied his skill on while just in from a night on the tiles with some hot chicks..... That's an art.

14 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:
21 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Watch crossy's video and the state of the pitches that he applied his skill on while just in from a night on the tiles with some hot chicks..... That's an art.

I can admit there is some skill, but why would I want to watch it, or follow a team.   Doesn't do anything to improve my wealth or my life in any way. 

4 minutes ago, seancbk said:

I can admit there is some skill, but why would I want to watch it, or follow a team.   Doesn't do anything to improve my wealth or my life in any way. 

Neither does watching John Wayne movies or listening to Elvis but people do. Who is your role model Mr Prayut?

Quite simply my Dad. I grew up in awe of him a big man with a big heart. A real English village  bobby. Hard as nails and completely fair to everyone. Never lost his temper  or resorted to shouting. 

I remember at the tender age of 15 whilst collecting glasses in a pud run by my uncle. One of the hard cases of my Town looked at me and said your ********* (dad's name) son aren't you. Oh crapp thought I (dad was local jailer at this time). He looked straight at me and said your dad's a hard man but the  fairest copper I've ever met. 

So I hopersonally one day someone will say the same sort of thing about me.

28 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:
36 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Neither does watching John Wayne movies or listening to Elvis but people do. Who is your role model Mr Prayut?

My role model is Hamdi Ulukaya.

He built a yoghurt busines in the US from zero to US$ 1.7 billion in less than 5 years.

I am modeling my business in Thailand similar to how he built his. 

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/11/04/just-add-sugar

Edited by seancbk
Added link