Israel gives green light to decriminalize marijuana use

webfact

Israel gives green light to decriminalize marijuana use

By Maayan Lubell

REUTERS

r4.jpg

FILE PHOTO - A variety of medicinal marijuana buds in jars are pictured at Los Angeles Patients & Caregivers Group dispensary in West Hollywood, California U.S. on October 18, 2016. REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni/File Photo

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - The Israeli government voted on Sunday in favour of decriminalizing recreational marijuana use, joining some U.S. states and European countries who have adopted a similar approach.

"On the one hand we are opening ourselves up to the future. On the other hand, we understand the dangers and will try to balance the two," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told his cabinet in broadcast remarks.

According to the new policy, which must still be ratified by parliament, people caught smoking marijuana would be fined rather than arrested and prosecuted. Criminal procedures would be launched only against those caught repeatedly with the drug.

Selling and growing marijuana would remain criminal offences in Israel.

"Israel cannot shut its eyes to the changes being made across the world in respect to marijuana consumption and its effects," Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked said in a statement.

In the United States, 28 states have legalized marijuana for medical use and since 2012, several have also approved marijuana for recreational use.

Shaked said Israeli authorities would now put their focus on education about the possible harmful effects of drug use.

Marijuana use is fairly common in Israel. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime has said that almost nine percent of Israelis use cannabis, though some Israeli experts believe the numbers are higher.

Israeli police figures showed only 188 people were arrested in 2015 for recreational use of marijuana, a 56 percent drop since 2010, and many of those apprehended in that time were never charged.

About 25,000 people have a licence to use the drug for medicinal purposes in Israel, one of the world leaders in medical marijuana research.

In February, a government committee gave an initial nod for the export of medical cannabis, though final legislative measures will likely take months.

(Reporting by Maayan Lubell; Editing by Dominic Evans)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-06

Any government that legalizes marijuana is demonstrating wisdom and intelligence. The US continues to pursue pot convictions at the federal level. And my guess is this has to do with support of the private prison industry. It decimates the society. And it costs $60,000 per year to keep someone in jail. For what? Smoking or possessing pot? Inane policy, beyond imagination. Obama continued this stupid policy under Eric Holder the Horrific. That may have been one of the reasons the madman Holder was finally sacked. Now, Trump is talking about renewing the battle. Insane policy. And it would be disastrous for his administration. If there is one thing most conservatives agree on, it is the need to support the people's will toward legalization. 

Personally, I would go a step further. I would support the legalization of all drugs. Where would the cartels be with legal drugs? Would the silly hipsters in LA have any interest in heroin if it was legal? Think about it. 

Decriminalization is not the same as legalization, nor is it a condoning its use.

The fact of the matter is that the inhalation of smoke damages the lungs and interferes with the pulmonary and cardiovascular system.  Smoking any product, whether tobacco, tea or cannabis is an unhealthy endeavor.

18 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Decriminalization is not the same as legalization, nor is it a condoning its use.

The fact of the matter is that the inhalation of smoke damages the lungs and interferes with the pulmonary and cardiovascular system.  Smoking any product, whether tobacco, tea or cannabis is an unhealthy endeavor.

Vaporizers...

3 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Not exactly news, is it?

Another unhealthy endeavor would be: just breathing (anywhere north of Phitsanulok right now), or (too much) alcohol, fat, sugar, salt, coffee ... you name it! 

Last UN drug-report had a good quarter billion of worlds population consuming illegal drugs - with factual numbers most likely much higher.

And by far the most consumed (illegal) drug is Cannabis in all it's variations, time to get real on that matter i'd say ... 

Edited by jollyhangmon

Chew it then

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

That's why I deliver it to my kids via lollipops.

The only problem I have with softening on pot internationally is that there is good scientific evidence that regular use by children and teens is harmful to development. That needs to be addressed somehow but I don't know how. Telling kids stuff is bad for you doesn't tend to work so well. 

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The only problem I have with softening on pot internationally is that there is good scientific evidence that regular use by children and teens is harmful to development. That needs to be addressed somehow but I don't know how. Telling kids stuff is bad for you doesn't tend to work so well. 

Agreed, but same goes for alcohol at least, so there are procedures (age-limits) in place already.
Granted, compliance & enforcement may be/is a problem in places, not only in TH - but that's nothing new at all.

However, none of that is a valid reason to continue criminalizing millions of users worldwide - let alone missing out on possible fat tax revenue (thanks from the cartels btw.) and not to mention the massive costs for enforcement of a de facto useless law.

Those countries and parts of the States that legalize(d) - under the mentioned precautions - are right on imho ...