Phuket court fines Russian tourist B1k for feeding fish, woman faces immigration next

webfact

Phuket court fines Russian tourist B1k for feeding fish, woman faces immigration next

Yutthawat Lekmak

1488799948_1-org.jpg

Chalong Police have yet to present the Russian tourist Olga smirnova to Phuket Immrigation. Photo: The Phuket News/ file

PHUKET: -- Olga Smirnova, the 53-year-old Russian woman who spent two nights in police lockup after she was caught feeding bread to fish Racha Yai Island, was today (Mar 6) fined B1,000 by the Phuket Provincial Court for her transgression.

The paltry fine comes after Ms Smirnova was held two days in detention at Chalong Police Station as she could not raise the B100,000 set by police to be released on bail, even though police held her passport as precaution against “flight risk”.

Ms Smirnova was finally released on Feb 21 after a “friend” posted the B100,000, but paid to Phuket Provincial Court.

“She was presented in court this morning and fined B1,000,” Chalong Police Chief Col Krittapas Det-intarasorn confirmed to The Phuket News today.

“We will send her to Immigration next because now the court and the police have done our duty already. Immigration will take care of this case from now on,” he added.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-court-fines-russian-tourist-b1k-for-feeding-fish-woman-faces-immigration-next-61270.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-07

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Thailand. That's the way to deal with all those nasty tourists. Lock em up and harass them and then send them to immigration to do it all over again. They will soon learn not to show their faces around here. 

Then you can add more sewage lines out to the beaches.

Meanwhile, while the over zealous police is busying fining people

for feeding fish, the missing Russian girl case of last month is

still a mystery and no words of her where about... priorities

are a difficult thing to master in this country.....

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Labour dept might also consider getting on her case.....feeding fitch could be a prohibited occupation na......:coffee1:

You just couldnt make up better than this c..p.

So she fed some fish, certainly not the crime of the century.

Have the BIB nothing better to do with their time?

Like  getting off their  lazy a...es and solving real crime.

So everyone complaining about a 100 k fine was wrong?
Nothing to do with the BIB by the way, this is MDRC trying to bring order in the bays, especially bungalow bay, at Racha yai.

sent using Tapatalk

Would be interesting to see if the 100,000baht is returned in full......now immigration will have a crack at her and probably give her an overstay fine!
It really is a messed up place!

Twice incorrect in a post with 2 points.

sent using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Would be interesting to see if the 100,000baht is returned in full......now immigration will have a crack at her and probably give her an overstay fine!

It really is a messed up place!

U mean messed up brains and bureaucracy not the place?

4 minutes ago, samjaidee said:

Since this case first came to light there has not been any mention of what law she broke. Does anyone know?

Feeding fish in a protected marine and coral area as I recall.

There was NO warning whatsoever for tourists not to F the Fish.

However you can F local Birds everywhere ?f=feed just in case i get F

F this time is for Fine?

F old Thailand,  oh no not what u think, F here = Funny.I rest my case

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Twice incorrect in a post with 2 points.

sent using Tapatalk

I too would like to know if and when Bail is returned. Also would love to know the outcome of her immigration appointment. Guess it is just a formality for convicted criminals, but who knows what will come of it.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

So everyone complaining about a 100 k fine was wrong?
Nothing to do with the BIB by the way, this is MDRC trying to bring order in the bays, especially bungalow bay, at Racha yai.

sent using Tapatalk

It was Chalong police that demanded 100,000 baht bail and locked her up for two days, at least according to the various articles I've read

13 minutes ago, clockman said:

What a story to tell your Russian friends. Another nail in the tourist coffin.!

I feel sorry for this well-meaning tourist. Meanwhile, a Thai being intimate with a bovine is only charged with bestiality - it should be RAPE, as I very much doubt that the poor cow consented to such an act! Where is the fairness?

It would be fairly normal, anywhere, for a visitor on a short term stay to be interviewed by Immigration after being convicted of an offence in that country.

I wouldn't have thought this minor transgression would warrant any further action including blacklisting, but this is Thailand, who knows what they will do.

Either way, I think the lady would be wanting to go home immediately, and start planning her next holiday, and that of everyone else she can influence, somewhere other than in Thailand.

2 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

What a F nightmare!!!! Isn't she relieved it is over? No, she will have to face immigration, <deleted>!!! POOR WOMAN..HOLIDAY IN THAICELL?

Now she has a criminal record she will probably be deported!

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Meanwhile, while the over zealous police is busying fining people

for feeding fish, the missing Russian girl case of last month is

still a mystery and no words of her where about... priorities

are a difficult thing to master in this country.....

I hope I'm wrong, but the missing girl is probably fish food.