New Israeli law bars entry to foreigners supporting Israel boycott

webfact

New Israeli law bars entry to foreigners supporting Israel boycott

REUTERS

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel's parliament on Monday passed a law barring foreigners who publicly support an anti-Israel boycott from entering the country.

"In recent years calls to boycott Israel have been growing," parliament said on its website after the law was approved. "It seems this is a new front in the war against Israel, which until now the country had not prepared for properly."

Individuals or representatives of groups publicly calling for a boycott - excluding Israeli citizens and permanent residents - will not be granted visas, according to the law.

It was unclear when the new policy would take effect, and the law said exceptions could be made.

The vote passed 46 to 28, with some in the opposition saying it was better to engage detractors, and that the new law will play into the hands of those attacking Israel.

Israel has long decried groups like the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement who want to isolate Israel over policies towards the Palestinians.

Peace talks between Israel and the Palestinians broke down in 2014.

(Reporting by Ari Rabinovitch; Editing by Jonathan Oatis)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-03-07

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long overdue act, should have been implemented many years ago, I don't know of any other country in the whole wide world that will keep silence and allow bad mouthing, calling for boycotts, derogative  remarks and acts against a country and still will be allowed to be a welcome guest in that country...

So will all these people be wearing badges when they try to enter Israel saying "boycott Israeli goods"? Why would someone that feels so strongly about Israel that they would boycott their goods want to go there in the first place? Seems like time spent on a law that is totally meaningless and useless.

58 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I don't know of any other country in the whole wide world that will keep silence and allow bad mouthing, calling for boycotts, derogative  remarks and acts against a country and still will be allowed to be a welcome guest in that country...

Jeez you just described all the Lefty Snowflakes in the USA  :smile:

Unfortunately their citizens

41 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

So will all these people be wearing badges when they try to enter Israel saying "boycott Israeli goods"? Why would someone that feels so strongly about Israel that they would boycott their goods want to go there in the first place? Seems like time spent on a law that is totally meaningless and useless.

No, they don't were badges, they carry microphone, TV cameras and organize protests against the country and it's sovereignty while on it's land, they broadcast

selective ' news updates' of Israel's suppose cruelty and ' apartheid ' practices against the Palestinians population, and all that as be a guests at the Israel's government and it's citizens....

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Long overdue act, should have been implemented many years ago, I don't know of any other country in the whole wide world that will keep silence and allow bad mouthing, calling for boycotts, derogative   remarks and acts against a country and still will be allowed to be a welcome guest in that country...

Posted anywhere other than Thai Visa i might have been tempted to agree with you.

"Israel's suppose cruelty and ' apartheid ' practices against the Palestinians population, " Quote from Ezra.

Supposed??? You are SO out of touch Ezra with your head in the sand.

Not only do I support BDS , I actively participate in it. It is a legitimate way of non-violent actions and protest , unlike the Israeli actions against the native Palestinians.

It worked against the Apartheid policies of South Africa didn't it Ezra?

BDS

46 minutes ago, Elfin said:

"Israel's suppose cruelty and ' apartheid ' practices against the Palestinians population, " Quote from Ezra.

Not only do I support BDS , I actively participate in it. It is a legitimate way of non-violent actions and protest , unlike the Israeli actions against the native Palestinians.

BDS

Sir: If I were to agree with you, we would BOTH be wrong . . . . .

3 minutes ago, jaapfries said:

Sir: If I were to agree with you, we would BOTH be wrong . . . . .

I disagree with you , sanctions worked against apartheid south africa , I was there , the similaraties between apartheid Israel and apartheid south africa are quite obvious .

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Long overdue act, should have been implemented many years ago, I don't know of any other country in the whole wide world that will keep silence and

allow bad mouthing, calling for boycotts, derogative  remarks and acts against a country and still will be allowed to be a welcome guest in that country...

Mine does, and you'll find most of Europe and the West is so scared of upsetting its non-citizens that they rarely say anything. Kudos to Israel for standing up for its own, but at the end of the day, you lot being so gung-ho with this stuff is reason why people don't get on with you. Israelis give off the aura that they are more worthy, better than anyone else and it gets on people's tits. 

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Long overdue act, should have been implemented many years ago, I don't know of any other country in the whole wide world that will keep silence and allow bad mouthing, calling for boycotts, derogative  remarks and acts against a country and still will be allowed to be a welcome guest in that country...

By which you mean free speech? I for one have no interest in being dictated to by the likes of Israel on what my view of their never ending intransigence should be.

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

England.........

So much for the fake claims that Israel is the only democracy in the Middle East...provided you agree with the current right wing government and the thought police don't get hold of you at immigration.

So anyone who thinks the Israeli occupation of the West Bank is illegal, and thus goods that are produced there illegal too, will be banned from Israel...that just about includes all of the EU and most UN countries.

Conversely, how would Israelis feel if they were banned from other countries because they felt the opposite and support the illegal occupation. Come to think of it, that's not a bad idea.

This is just another backdoor way of preventing people with pro Palestinian views from travelling to Israel to see for themselves. 

Last week as part of the same agenda they banned Human Rights Watch.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/24/israel-denies-visa-to-hostile-human-rights-watch-and-warns-it-is-assessing-other-groups

A country that fears the truth being told is in deep trouble.

It also exposes the worries Israel has about BDS, even though they deny it is effective. This ban of course, will only serve to increase publicity to make more people aware of the injustice Israel continues to perpetrate against the Palestinians, and a non violent way to express your protest...BDS.

Edited by dexterm
format

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

There are other countries (US, UK...just obvious examples) which do not apply such restrictions. The value and wisdom of such policies may be debated, but they are in place. Granted, even then, there is a difference between rights afforded to citizens and foreigners.

Well I'm for a two state solution as long as Israel is allowed strong security control as part of the agreement and I'm also against the BDS movement.

Jews are an INDIGENOUS people in the middle east. Nothing like whites in South Africa or Congo. For Jews, Israel is HOME.

However, I'm having a hard time getting my head around the idea of all these non-Israeli BDS activists wanting to visit Israel. That's rather absurd, isn't it? You visit Israel you're not exactly practicing BDS, yeah?

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, Andaman Al said:

There's actually quite a contingent of such people in-country (referring to non-citizens). Most belong to various advocacy groups and NGO's. Obviously, staying in country places some constraints on the possibility of practicing the creed, but guess that's can be expunged with some decent bashing.

So in terms of not letting such activists in or preventing them from engaging in their usual stuff while in-country, it's not a useless law. Whether or not it's a smart one is another question. IMO, it will generate more harm for Israel (from a PR angle). It would seem that the main reason for making it official is, once more, domestic politics. Another law meant to show a politician's tough stance on right wing issues. In reality, refusal to grant entry to the country could have been handled quietly, by using the existing authority and regulations.

It's probably "bad" from an international public relations POV. It gives more ammunition to the obsessive Israel demonization movement, much of which doesn't support the right of Israel to exist in the first place with ANY borders. 

It is true that pro Israeli government propaganda portrays Israel as a more "perfect" free democracy than it actually is. Funny, there are very few few nations that come at all close to such perfection, but somehow so many "progressives" are uniquely obsessed with trashing Israel about it.

Edited by Jingthing

5 hours ago, Elfin said:

BDS

Supposed. If and when Israel annexes the West Bank/Gaza Strip and refuse full rights to the Palestinians, you'd have a point. Until then, you'll have to face the fact that Arab citizens of Israel have voting rights, are elected to parliament and serve on such institutions as the Supreme Court and the police. So not quite the same.

Even using your flawed comparison (which was, by the way, rejected by SA's former persident, de Klerk), the efficacy and contribution of such practices in achieving change in SA is debated. That's without considering that SA faced state-level action, rather than sporadic efforts such as you promote.

Seems like there's a redundant D in your last line.

4 hours ago, mzanzi said:

I disagree with you , sanctions worked against apartheid south africa , I was there , the similaraties between apartheid Israel and apartheid south africa are quite obvious .

The supposed similarities are obvious to people who disregard facts. Same goes for confidentially asserting that "sanctions worked", or that that there's a resemblance between them and the current efforts.

3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Well, let's trust other countries with valid concerns over Israel's bull-headed approach to the Palestinian issue reciprocate in kind, naturally including Netanyahu when considering issue of a visa.

That's a fallacious parallel. Most countries and governments, do not support the BDS efforts, even if they have valid concerns regarding Israel policies. The equivalency does not really exist. If Netanyahu was to visit a country and advocate sanctions against his hosts, you'd have a point.

3 hours ago, Jonmarleesco said:

By which you mean free speech? I for one have no interest in being dictated to by the likes of Israel on what my view of their never ending intransigence should be.

How does the new law dictate views? How is it relevant to most people - even those objecting to Israel's policies? Unless one plans to visit the place, that is.

@dexterm

The usual all or nothing tirade.

It might not be a smart law, and not a very democratic one, but to say that it makes or breaks Israel's entire claim to democracy is an exaggeration at best. This fits well with the faux position which does not recognize democracy as a matter of degree. The underlying expectation is that Israel will manifest the Western ideal of democracy - obviously not a very realistic goal, or even an honest one. I do not recall similar fiery objection to rules limiting foreigners political activities in other countries, but eh...

And no, not "anyone who thinks the Israeli occupation of the West Bank is illegal, and thus goods that are produced there illegal too, will be banned from Israel" - just those actively involved in efforts relating to boycotts. This goes with the usual attempts to co-opt countries and governments, implying that they are on board with your agenda.

Like a previous poster, you draw a non existent parallel - if Israelis were calling for boycotts on other countries, than you'd have a point.

There is nothing in this law which prevents people holding all pro-Palestinian views from entering the country. That's another lame attempt at co-opting, through implying that support for the Palestinians and support for boycotts on Israel are synonymous.

I don't think that the law got anything to do with real effects of the BDS nonsense, but more to do with Israel's domestic politics and populist right-wing legislation trends.